F Stephen Halliday - Ohio State Univ., NCAA (2022, 104th, OTT)

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Didn't see a thread for this guy, who had a nice year for a Central Illinois team that no longer exists. Should be one to watch at Dubuque (USHL) this year. North Dakota recruit... big Toronto-born kid up front coming out of the Marlies a year ago

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Murmurs around the 2020 NHL Draft are never-ending now that the Draft is no longer taking place in June. Recent focus has turned to potential late-round steals, a category that Stephen Halliday fits perfectly into. The 17-year-old is projected as a third-round pick or later heading into the Draft but his staggering size, mixed with great shooting and offence, has drawn the eye of many. This includes draft aficionado Steven Ellis, who called Halliday a, “sleeper I truly believe will prove people wrong… He’s a project player that I fully believe will pay dividends.”

But despite his increasingly positive perception by some of the world’s best prospect minds, Halliday’s true potefntial is hard to decipher. Ultimately, the winger has ‘boom-or-bust‘ potential in this year’s draft. He’ll either be a star or flounder in professional hockey.

Stephen Halliday is a Potential 2020 NHL Draft Steal

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Surprised there is no talk about him. The 6'4 234 lbs Halliday leads the USHL in points currently with 32 pts in 19 pg. Committed to The Ohio State University for next season and would have to imagine with his size and play thus far this season NHL teams will come calling

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I think he’s worth a late round flyer but he’s a double overager at this point.

Yes but he's still young. If he's not drafted but does well in NCAA an NHL team can also sign him. With his pro ready frame though you'd hope he doesn't spend too long in the NCAA. Also building up his body isn't necessary but he may have to cut a bit of weight

Reactions: BKarchitect

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Having a similar season to Knies, anyone have any insight that has watched this player?

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
No, but like usual Ottawa drafts the players I want Montreal to get.

Sokoloff, Kastelic and now Halliday
You have projections and look at prospects that far down the draft? Impressive.

After the second round mock draft players I probably couldn’t name a single prospect.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
You have projections and look at prospects that far down the draft? Impressive.

After the second round mock draft players I probably couldn’t name a single prospect.
I thought Sokolov after draft +2 would still be there late 3rd, early 4th and deemed him as great value pick. Sens took him early.

I don't get to watch more than a handful of prospect games a year, so I wouldn't call myself a prospect expert by any standard.

However, I look at basic stuff. I look for a player who's got good numbers in a good league. Then I look at their team and see try to determine if they're helping, or a product of their team. See if they've been in the league for a season, or two and if there's progression.

Imo Kastelic Sokolov and Halliday all should have been late round picks the season before they were actually drafted.

Players who play well, or might be support players to the better players and have size are always worth the late pick imo. You get the skilled players with your better/higher picks and you get those complimentary players later.

Owen Pederson will probably be drafted by the sens this year in the 3rd, or 4th round.

Halliday is an intriguing player from what I have been able to see and I'm sure in 3 years he'll be terrorizing the Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad