F Sasha Pastujov- USNTDP, U18 USHL (2021, 66th, ANA)

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
03 born playing with Compuware. Just had his coming out party at the Whitby Silverstick Tournament. Younger brother of Michael and Nick, currently at Michigan. Sasha is committed to Notre Dame. Led the Silverstick tournament in points, and won tournament MVP. 16 points in 7 games. He, Dylan Duke, and Red Savage helped Compuware end Don Mills Flyers perfect season bid. Maybe the top American 03, and a lock for the NTDP next year.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
2 goals 11 assists 13 points in 13 USHL games
- all together; 6 goals, 24 assists, 30 points in 26 games this season
(USHL: 13 points, WHC-17: 8 points, U-17 team: 9 points)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I really like his skill, playmaking, and sense, but the skating is rough. He's the most offensively talented forward in his NTDP age group, but I don't know if he's draftable in round 1 due to his skating.

Reactions: Daneurism

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Great comments. How do you feel about this group over all? I wasn't wildly impressed with a lot of the OHL region guys when they came up to play in major tournaments. Good players, but I didn't see a lot of slam dunk NHL talent.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Great comments. How do you feel about this group over all? I wasn't wildly impressed with a lot of the OHL region guys when they came up to play in major tournaments. Good players, but I didn't see a lot of slam dunk NHL talent.

I think I agree. I think there are a lot of NHL'ers. I don't know that there are a lot of high-end NHL'ers. Luke Hughes looks like that. Beyond that, you have players that chance to be top half of the league players like Pastujov, Janicke, Lucius, Duke, Behrens, maybe Schmidt or Gallagher, but I'm not sure more than two or three of them make it to that level. There are some players like Jack Hughes, Boucher, Devine, Hreschuk, Savage, Wilmer, Murchison, Homer, Mbereko, Gilmartin who probably have mid tier of the league potential, and bottom out as good AHL guys. I don't know that there are more than 1-2 players in this NTDP age group that don't eventually get drafted, so it would be similar to the 2001 age group in that regard, but it doesn't have the high end talent of the 2001 age group.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I think I agree. I think there are a lot of NHL'ers. I don't know that there are a lot of high-end NHL'ers. Luke Hughes looks like that. Beyond that, you have players that chance to be top half of the league players like Pastujov, Janicke, Lucius, Duke, Behrens, maybe Schmidt or Gallagher, but I'm not sure more than two or three of them make it to that level. There are some players like Jack Hughes, Boucher, Devine, Hreschuk, Savage, Wilmer, Murchison, Homer, Mbereko, Gilmartin who probably have mid tier of the league potential, and bottom out as good AHL guys. I don't know that there are more than 1-2 players in this NTDP age group that don't eventually get drafted, so it would be similar to the 2001 age group in that regard, but it doesn't have the high end talent of the 2001 age group.
Yeah I agree with you here, I do think Jack Hughes and Devine do have nice potential, but aren’t sure things. Being 2022 eligible helps them too, Devine especially as he needs to really get stronger and work on his skating, but I love his hockey sense and instincts with the puck. I think Hughes is like a future Nick Bonino type player. I don’t see the hype with Hreschuk, he’s a good skater but to me that’s really all he excels at, struggles in his decision making under pressure and turns the puck over quite a bit. Has some offensive tools but not dynamic in that regard. I think Gilmartin could become a solid energy, bottom 6 forward that can play a Pf style game.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Riding a 6 game point streak, has 17 points over that span. His 30 points leads the U18 team by a large margin.

This year's USNTDP class is very deep with a lot of draftable players, but I think he may be their first forward to go off the board. At this point I'd rank the NTDP group like this:

(Top-10)
Luke Hughes

(1st round)
Sasha Pastujov
Dylan Duke
Sean Behrens

(Late-1st/2nd-3rd)
Justin Janicke
Ty Gallagher
Tyler Boucher
Aidan Hreschuk
Red Savage

(Mid-rounds)
Jacob Martin
Jeremy Wilmer
Roman Schmidt

(6th-7th round)
Caden Brown
Andre Gasseau

I did not rank Chaz Lucius since he has yet to play a game this season, but he would be somewhere in that 2nd group with Pastujov, Duke, and Behrens.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Riding a 6 game point streak, has 17 points over that span. His 30 points leads the U18 team by a large margin.

This year's USNTDP class is very deep with a lot of draftable players, but I think he may be their first forward to go off the board. At this point I'd rank the NTDP group like this:

(Top-10)
Luke Hughes

(1st round)
Sasha Pastujov
Dylan Duke
Sean Behrens

(Late-1st/2nd-3rd)
Justin Janicke
Ty Gallagher
Tyler Boucher
Aidan Hreschuk
Red Savage

(Mid-rounds)
Jacob Martin
Jeremy Wilmer
Roman Schmidt

(6th-7th round)
Caden Brown
Andre Gasseau

I did not rank Chaz Lucius since he has yet to play a game this season, but he would be somewhere in that 2nd group with Pastujov, Duke, and Behrens.

I think you have this mostly spot on.

Gilmartin is definitely a pick, in my opinion I also think you have Schmidt a little low. I’d put him in the tier above where you have him. I might suggest that there’s no second tier, and those three you put in the second tier are really part of the third tier. I think all three have major questions that keep them from being no doubt first rounders. If there’s a second tier, I think it’s Lucius by himself.

Edit: I would guess RSL and Murchison also get picked, but I’m not terribly bothered about them being late picks/no picks.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He has 47 points and 20 goals in 28 games right now. What are the odds he goes top 10?

I doubt it. Probably late 1st/early 2nd round.

He's a top 10 player on raw talent. If he can overcome his skating/pace concerns, he has the ability to end up a top 10 player in this draft though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
7 points in 4 games so far in this tournament.

I think he can thank Jason Robertson for making him a first rounder. After the season Robertson is having, can you really drop a guy with clear NHL impact talent, aside from the skating, from the first round? I’m starting to believe the answer is no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad