F Samu Bau - HIFK U20, U20 SM-sarja (2023, 162nd, ARI)

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Big hard working two-way center. Very limited offensive upside. Doesnt have the hands or shot or any other special qualities. Does his job at 4 center. Not in my top15 Finns. Borderline 7th round pick

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Seems like a Karelian Orthodox family to me, many such people were evacuated to other parts of Finland during WWII.

Ancestery.com didn't mention any russian related to Bau, or any other site for that matter.
It can be randomly picked surname, that happen as well. People do change their family names sometimes.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Ancestery.com didn't mention any russian related to Bau, or any other site for that matter.
It can be randomly picked surname, that happen as well. People do change their family names sometimes.

Karelian is related to Finnish rather than Russian, although there are many loanwords. It's common for such bilabial plosives to be voiced in Karelian that are voiceless in Finnish. Therefore a similar Finnish surname could be Paukku.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Karelian is related to Finnish rather than Russian, although there are many loanwords. It's common for such bilabial plosives to be voiced in Karelian that are voiceless in Finnish. Therefore a similar Finnish surname could be Paukku.

I'm putting my money on Chinese anchestry and old German, than Karelian
Paukku? no, no way, my opinion at least.

One thing thou, Kalevala is a huge thing what comes to languages and history and misinformation what comes to Karelia
and actual facts about Karelia.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I'm putting my money on Chinese anchestry and old German, than Karelian
Paukku? no, no way, my opinion at least.

One thing thou, Kalevala is a huge thing what comes to languages and history and misinformation what comes to Karelia
and actual facts about Karelia.

Bau appears to come from the pogosta of Salmi in Karelia, in the area there are also other similar names like Balbatsu and Bloigu that all seem to refer to the personal attributes of the original bearer (talkative or loud).

Katiha - Karjalatietokanta

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Big hard working two-way center. Very limited offensive upside. Doesnt have the hands or shot or any other special qualities. Does his job at 4 center. Not in my top15 Finns. Borderline 7th round pick

who's in your top 15?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Played for Finland in Gothenberg. Noticeable but not overly impressive.

Playing for first-place Ilves in Liiga he has one goal but is -15 in 32 games.

Any reason to believe he receives an ELC?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad