F Roman Marcotte - Alaska Oilers, Minor A (2028)

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
No offense , but this is a subject that i feel like i am qualified to discuss at length here. I believe you are being emotionally swayed by the numerous stories you hear on the news of athletic burnout or overbearing parents. I assure for every one of thsoe stories there are countless others of parent successfully fostering their children's athletic ability at a young age. Case in point, Wayne gretzky and Sidney Crosby. Look at what ages they seriously began developing their Hockey skills.
Anecdotal evidence

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
"work ethic" - he's ****ing 8. Abusive.

You can be 8 and have a strong work ethic. The kid loves playing hockey. Hes young and seems like he is having fun. But if this is a 365 thing then it will eventually burn him out. Ask any pro, they will say the key is to diversify, play different sports.

Reactions: 99664987

Jabs102501

May 16, 2018
how tall is his dad and does anyone have any knowledge of Alaskan junior hockey and if his game could improve there?

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Father is very smart in developing him so young. He mentions the first window in develooping type 2 muscle fibers and studies show that the younger an athlete is the more a window exists to increase that ratio. A favorable type 2 fiber ratio is what leads to great athletes. Neural plasticity is the mechanism in which it is theorized that this ratio can be changed. Very cutting edge stuff.

Genetics still play a huuge role.

Also you need to be careful with how hard you train when you're young because growing too much muscle can interfer with regular growth (hormones blabla)

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Genetics still play a huuge role.

Also you need to be careful with how hard you train when you're young because growing too much muscle can interfer with regular growth (hormones blabla)

no. its about training the right way with focus on neural inhibition. hypertrophy in hocey is a very hardthing to obtatin and maintain. ALso in regards to youths, the fear was training a young person and having them get an increase in testosteroine could fuse their growth plates. That myth has been laid to rest a while ago

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I used to have a kid that worked for me - way back when I was a retail manager. Fairly high end hockey player - 15 at the time I think - had practice/games five days a week and worked part time the other two. His dad would always drop him off. If he liked how his game/practice went, he’d walk him in, give him cash for lunch, a big winning grin, and a ‘good job yesterday pal’. If he didn’t, he’d peel up to the front of the store, scream at him to get the f*** out, and yell obscenities as his poor kid walked in. By the time he quit at 17, he’d quit hockey entirely and he and his father were no longer on speaking terms. Turned out the kid was Dad’s retirement plan and he’d been forcing him into every power skating camp, nutrition camp, and dryland training session he could find for years on end and sending out hype videos to any GM of any professional league he could track down. Completely killed the kid’s love of the game. Doesn’t even play recreationally anymore.

Point is, don’t put this kind of bullshit on an 8 year old.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
I used to have a kid that worked for me - way back when I was a retail manager. Fairly high end hockey player - 15 at the time I think - had practice/games five days a week and worked part time the other two. His dad would always drop him off. If he liked how his game/practice went, he’d walk him in, give him cash for lunch, a big winning grin, and a ‘good job yesterday pal’. If he didn’t, he’d peel up to the front of the store, scream at him to get the **** out, and yell obscenities as his poor kid walked in. By the time he quit at 17, he’d quit hockey entirely and he and his father were no longer on speaking terms. Turned out the kid was Dad’s retirement plan and he’d been forcing him into every power skating camp, nutrition camp, and dryland training session he could find for years on end and sending out hype videos to any GM of any professional league he could track down. Completely killed the kid’s love of the game. Doesn’t even play recreationally anymore.

Point is, don’t put this kind of bull**** on an 8 year old.

He did play for any junior team?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
You people are so mean. Let him dream. It would be interesting to follow this kid, like we did with Norwegian sensation MEP.

Just a side note: Why are always seen and heard people with negative attitude?

nothingbutrum

Oct 24, 2014
vbookierehab
What are his stats like? It would be odd if he's the oldest kid in the league and was like twelfth in scoring... unless he's got the intangibles hf is always talking about.

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
What are his stats like? It would be odd if he's the oldest kid in the league and was like twelfth in scoring... unless he's got the intangibles hf is always talking about.
7 points in 23 games in 10U Minor AA, the leading scorer on his team had 40 points in 25 games and the leading scorer in the league had 107 points in 33 games. It is worth noting that he is playing a year up.

Last edited:
Reactions: nothingbutrum

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
no. its about training the right way with focus on neural inhibition. hypertrophy in hocey is a very hardthing to obtatin and maintain. ALso in regards to youths, the fear was training a young person and having them get an increase in testosteroine could fuse their growth plates. That myth has been laid to rest a while ago

Alright thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->