F Roman Marcotte - Alaska Oilers, Minor A (2028)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
"Highlights"? 7 minute video and there's barely 30 seconds of actual in-game footage. That's not enough to really say anything. He's good at skating, though.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Seen quite a few of these kinda parents pushing out videos of how their kids are the next big thing.

Most of them don't make it so I feel bad for the kids

Is it good to build so much muscle so early? Doesn't it affect growth hormones?

Last edited:
Reactions: alexislafreniere

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Father is very smart in developing him so young. He mentions the first window in develooping type 2 muscle fibers and studies show that the younger an athlete is the more a window exists to increase that ratio. A favorable type 2 fiber ratio is what leads to great athletes. Neural plasticity is the mechanism in which it is theorized that this ratio can be changed. Very cutting edge stuff.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Father is very smart in developing him so young. He mentions the first window in develooping type 2 muscle fibers and studies show that the younger an athlete is the more a window exists to increase that ratio. A favorable type 2 fiber ratio is what leads to great athletes. Neural plasticity is the mechanism in which it is theorized that this ratio can be changed. Very cutting edge stuff.
How about let the kid fall in love with the game and see what happens from there?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
How about let the kid fall in love with the game and see what happens from there?

So lets say your kid falls in love with hockey at 14. Chances are they will never develop the athleticism to take hockey as far as they want to take it. When you expose a child to the things his father is doing, it opens up a window for that child. If he really wants to become a pro, he will have the ability to do so.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014

Lol....the scientific evidence is clear and overwhelming. Treating 8yrolds like pros is absolutely wrong appproach if long term development is the goal . Now if you want to see how good your kid can be at 8 then yeah...knock yourself out:)

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Kid seems to be really good, if he keeps this up we might hear from him someday (or at least his dad)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Nice skating skills. Of course, it also helps for the little buggers to have such a low center of gravity in a lot of those drills...makes kids look a bit more accelerated in their development than they really are. I notice he really likes to keep his upper body low on the ice and rarely lifts his skates more than an inch...shows he's not quite as confident as a slick production video suggests.

If the kid loves it, and wants to put most of his energies into the game, then I don't see a problem with dad doing everything he can to give him access to a lot of training and development. But....that is still a little boy there. He needs playtime, sleep, and exposure to different activities. Can't just push hockey all the time.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Lol....the scientific evidence is clear and overwhelming. Treating 8yrolds like pros is absolutely wrong appproach if long term development is the goal . Now if you want to see how good your kid can be at 8 then yeah...knock yourself out:)

No offense , but this is a subject that i feel like i am qualified to discuss at length here. I believe you are being emotionally swayed by the numerous stories you hear on the news of athletic burnout or overbearing parents. I assure for every one of thsoe stories there are countless others of parent successfully fostering their children's athletic ability at a young age. Case in point, Wayne gretzky and Sidney Crosby. Look at what ages they seriously began developing their Hockey skills.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad