F Pavel Šimek - Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL (2023 undrafted)

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Another 2005-year czech star (along with Petr & Šalé)
12 pts in the last 6 games (u20). One game in the Extraliga.
I think that at least the whole first U17 attack, which he played in both tournaments consisting of Sprynar, Felcman, Štancl, are other very promising players of the year 05, then Dvořák from the defense.
I think those attackers looked better than Petr, but that's how we know who trains U18. But if the coach is smart, he will give them a chance, because those players are better than those who played in 3 or 4 attacks of the last U18 tournament.

Reactions: czechcanadian

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I think that at least the whole first U17 attack, which he played in both tournaments consisting of Sprynar, Felcman, Štancl, are other very promising players of the year 05, then Dvořák from the defense.
I think those attackers looked better than Petr, but that's how we know who trains U18. But if the coach is smart, he will give them a chance, because those players are better than those who played in 3 or 4 attacks of the last U18 tournament.

Kind of strange that Felcman played his youth hockey in the Swiss system the past several years instead of playing in a stronger youth league or even staying at home. I have to say though, the Czechs with Simek, Sale, Petr, Jecho and the names you mentioned have a lot of young kids with good size and potential. This is not abnormal though, hopefully they end up closer to a Zacha then a Pytlik

Last edited:
Reactions: Goodman68

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
Anyone care to rank these young players: Simek, Sale, Jecho, and Petr?

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Anyone care to rank these young players: Simek, Sale, Jecho, and Petr?
According to the numbers, Šalé is clearly in front and he is probably the best of them at the moment. So far, I haven't seen much matches from those players, especially from Šimek. Petr and Jecho was disappointed in the last tournament for me, but they played quite well at the HGC. But they played for older selections, so it was hard for them. In any case, even more time will be needed for evaluation.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Kind of strange that Felcman played his youth hockey in the Swiss system the past several years instead of playing in a stronger youth league or even staying at home. I have to say though, the Czechs with Simek, Sale, Petr, Jecho and the names you mentioned have a lot of young kids with good size and potential. This is not abnormal though, hopefully they end up closer to a Zacha then a Pytlik
Yes, it is strange, it means that distrust in the Czech system of education of players is still relevant. But Felcman is not alone, other young players have played and played in Switzerland in the recent past. They did not go to the CHL, nor to the north of Europe.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Nonsense, Petr is comfortably better than the three forwards you mentioned. It's probably no coincidence the U18 team is coached by his father, but he backs up the nomination with good play and production.

According to the numbers, Šalé is clearly in front and he is probably the best of them at the moment. So far, I haven't seen much matches from those players, especially from Šimek. Petr and Jecho was disappointed in the last tournament for me, but they played quite well at the HGC. But they played for older selections, so it was hard for them. In any case, even more time will be needed for evaluation.
I guarantee you Petr would be a point machine as well had he stayed in the Czech Republic. Him and Sale have had similiar impact with the U18 team and Sale is absolutely torching the Czech junior league. Simek is producing at point per game pace and he was mostly a non-factor at the recent U17 tournament. Guys like Matyas Adamek, Andrej Fabry or Martin Matejicek are all producing at good rates in the U20 league, and yet I am not sure if any of them is an actual NHL prospect. The league just sucks unfortunately, which is hardly news, but I am surprised it might be even worse this year than in the past, since so few juniors are playing in Extraliga/Chance league, so I figured the U20 leage would benefit from it and be somewhat decent. Guess not.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Nonsense, Petr is comfortably better than the three forwards you mentioned. It's probably no coincidence the U18 team is coached by his father, but he backs up the nomination with good play and production.

I guarantee you Petr would be a point machine as well had he stayed in the Czech Republic. Him and Sale have had similiar impact with the U18 team and Sale is absolutely torching the Czech junior league. Simek is producing at point per game pace and he was mostly a non-factor at the recent U17 tournament. Guys like Matyas Adamek, Andrej Fabry or Martin Matejicek are all producing at good rates in the U20 league, and yet I am not sure if any of them is an actual NHL prospect. The league just sucks unfortunately, which is hardly news, but I am surprised it might be even worse this year than in the past, since so few juniors are playing in Extraliga/Chance league, so I figured the U20 leage would benefit from it and be somewhat decent. Guess not.
As I wrote, I quite liked Petr's performance at the HGC, but he played badly in the second tournament, Šalé was definitely better. Petr is a good player, what hinders him is his skating. And I'm really not sure that Petr would dominate our junior league in such a way as Šalé, that's absolutely extraordinary.
I take my review from what I have been able to see. The three players in U17 dominated the first tournament, Vlach said that they were bounced away from the rest of the team and confirmed this in the second tournament, even against the strongest team in the USA.
When I wrote that Petr senior should try the three on his team, I did not mean at the expense of his son. I wrote 3 and 4 attacks from the second tournament, Petr played the second attack with Jecho and Šale. However, my distrust of Petr regarding the nominations has been present since he took Krenželok at the WJCH at the expense of Hájek in preparation for the literally catastrophically playing. He took Krenželok from his club, maybe he trusted him, but after that preparation it was quite clear that he had nothing to do there and Hájek is a class player better, albeit a year younger. If he didn't see this, then he probably shouldn't be a coach. If my memory serves me right, then Krenželok played in a pair with Vála and it was by far the slowest pair of defenders we have ever had at the championships. Vála was at least solid in the defensive third, Krenželok .. pity words ..

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
As I wrote, I quite liked Petr's performance at the HGC, but he played badly in the second tournament, Šalé was definitely better. Petr is a good player, what hinders him is his skating. And I'm really not sure that Petr would dominate our junior league in such a way as Šalé, that's absolutely extraordinary.
I take my review from what I have been able to see. The three players in U17 dominated the first tournament, Vlach said that they were bounced away from the rest of the team and confirmed this in the second tournament, even against the strongest team in the USA.
When I wrote that Petr senior should try the three on his team, I did not mean at the expense of his son. I wrote 3 and 4 attacks from the second tournament, Petr played the second attack with Jecho and Šale. However, my distrust of Petr regarding the nominations has been present since he took Krenželok at the WJCH at the expense of Hájek in preparation for the literally catastrophically playing. He took Krenželok from his club, maybe he trusted him, but after that preparation it was quite clear that he had nothing to do there and Hájek is a class player better, albeit a year younger. If he didn't see this, then he probably shouldn't be a coach. If my memory serves me right, then Krenželok played in a pair with Vála and it was by far the slowest pair of defenders we have ever had at the championships. Vála was at least solid in the defensive third, Krenželok .. pity words ..
Ah yes.. I still remember this. I was so frustrated. And if I remember correctly, that was Hajek’s 18 year old year. He was already drafted and left off the team. I couldn’t believe it. And then the year after he was arguably our best player.
I also really liked Vala. That guy was really solid defensively.

Reactions: Goodman68

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Ah yes.. I still remember this. I was so frustrated. And if I remember correctly, that was Hajek’s 18 year old year. He was already drafted and left off the team. I couldn’t believe it. And then the year after he was arguably our best player.
I also really liked Vala. That guy was really solid defensively.
Yes, in a year he was by far the best defender of the team, figuratively he also did not come off the ice ..

czech

Feb 23, 2009
Bad statistics (QMJHL) :-(
...This week, however, a little better: 3 points in 5 matches.

Reactions: Czechboy

czech

Feb 23, 2009
A sharp increase in performance in the last three weeks. 14 points in last 9 games.
Excellent individual performance.
Shorthanded goal.
Going one on one - such high-speed runs can often be seen in the performance of Simek - I have been following him for a long time - I noticed even then - he can beat him beautifully and skillfully - like, for example, a year ago, playing for the national team, he scored two such shorthanded goals.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
A sharp increase in performance in the last three weeks. 14 points in last 9 games.
Excellent individual performance.
Shorthanded goal.
Going one on one - such high-speed runs can often be seen in the performance of Shimek - I have been following him for a long time - I noticed even then - he can beat him beautifully and skillfully - like, for example, a year ago, playing for the national team, he scored two such shorthanded goals.
He's on the rise! Is eligible for U18 in April? Is this his draft year? Or next year?

czech

Feb 23, 2009
He's on the rise! Is eligible for U18 in April? Is this his draft year? Or next year?
2023 eligible...
Surprising: what prevented Simek from showing such performance from the beginning of the regular championship? Maybe some disagreement with the coach ... the coach's vision of his role in the team...
If we compare the average performance only for the last month (20.01-19.02) (Simek has 1.4 points per game), then of all the players in the upcoming draft (who played at least 10 games during this period) in all leagues of the CHL, only Bedard is doing better. Even Benson has less for this period (~1.2). True, such bursts sometimes occur among players who are not the top ones. Loshko, for example, had such a period in early January, when he scored 19 points in 10 games.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
2023 eligible...
Surprising: what prevented Simek from showing such performance from the beginning of the regular championship? Maybe some disagreement with the coach ... the coach's vision of his role in the team...
If we compare the average performance only for the last month (20.01-19.02) (Simek has 1.4 points per game), then of all the players in the upcoming draft (who played at least 10 games during this period) in all leagues of the CHL, only Bedard is doing better. Even Benson has less for this period (~1.2). True, such bursts sometimes occur among players who are not the top ones. Loshko, for example, had such a period in early January, when he scored 19 points in 10 games.
Probably a heater but let's hope his 'North American adjustment' + 'Heater' = what he really is as he seems promsing. Him and Petr are having unfortunate draft years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad