F Ostap Safin - HC Sparta Praha, CZE JRS (2017, 115th, EDM)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
My guess is he doesn't realize Saint John will be horrible this year and he comes over. I hope he stays in Europe.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
My guess is he doesn't realize Saint John will be horrible this year and he comes over. I hope he stays in Europe.

True, but then again, Veleno will be there so it's not like he would be a lone man on an island.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

You could do worse than getting top line minutes with Joseph Veleno I feel like. But yeah, I'd actually prefer him staying in Europe and developing his game against men.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
There is no much talk about him. 32 points in 33 games in QMJHL. Should have important role at WJC this year too. Underrated player in my eyes.

What do Edmonton fans think about him?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
There is no much talk about him. 32 points in 33 games in QMJHL. Should have important role at WJC this year too. Underrated player in my eyes.

Liked what I saw of him in rookie camp. Big, good shot and hands and a good skater. Along with Maksimov I am very pleased with Safin's development this season.

Reactions: Maluk11

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Does he project to be a top 6 forward ? The oilers need as many top productive guys on entry level or affordable contracts as they can get in the long haul. It would be great if they could have a few late round picks go their way.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Does he project to be a top 6 forward ? The oilers need as many top productive guys on entry level or affordable contracts as they can get in the long haul. It would be great if they could have a few late round picks go their way.

I think that top 9 is a safe bet. Whether he's a top 6 guy is TBD. He has the speed and shot for it, it's too early in his development to say one way or another.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think that top 9 is a safe bet. Whether he's a top 6 guy is TBD. He has the speed and shot for it, it's too early in his development to say one way or another.

Decently physical too with good size.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Decently physical too with good size.

Yeah he had a tilt earlier this season and fared pretty damn well. He's also thrown some big hits. If he can keep his speed while also adding on more mass he should have a NHL career ahead of him IMO.

Reactions: snipes

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I see a long-term project with some pretty awesome tools. Great skater, with a wicked pair of hands and shot (albeit they lack consistency at this point). Needs to fill out his frame as he's still not that strong protecting the puck and fighting for pucks along the board. Definitely has middle 6 NHL potential imo, but he's going to need a few years to get stronger and more consistent in the NA game.

Very excited to watch him at the U20's

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Seven points in his last two games, up to 47 points in 47 games for a bad Sea Dogs squad - next closest forward has 32 points.

Nice season from Ostap so far and bounced back well from a middling World Juniors.

Now listed at 6'5 192 by eliteprospects.

Reactions: Maluk11

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I had him ranked #49 in that draft, he always impresses me with his skating ability considering his large frame, he has good hands and decision making as well, still a lot of development ahead of him, but he could develop into something special, pretty sure he would be up there in a redraft, not sure why NHL teams slept on him, they usually highly value size and speed, you get the best of both worlds in Safin.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Was assigned back to Saint John's who now have 3 imports so he is likely to be traded as the oldest of the three. Noticed he has 17 games of pro hockey experience , could he not find a team back in Czech or go to the AHL instead?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad