F Ostap Safin - HC Sparta Praha, CZE JRS (2017, 115th, EDM)

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Ive seen very little of him. Only some brief highlights. But I know he's been very good with the Czech U-16 International team(last year) that, despite apparently not having much talent, produced impressive results against other top countries. (Russia, Finland).
And Safin was a big part of that success.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Glad he got a thread. Definetely someone to keep eye on.

Also, that name. (Sounds nothing like regular czech name)

peto10

Sep 29, 2011
Slovakia
Is there any specific reason why he is not playing on junior team? He has the size and numbers for it and I've heard some good things about him as well...

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
Ostap is a slavic name, Safin is a common surename for russian tatars (See Marat Safin, former russian tennis superstar). So his family is probably from Russia, and he looks a bit like a tatar too.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Ostap is a slavic name, Safin is a common surename for russian tatars (See Marat Safin, former russian tennis superstar). So his family is probably from Russia, and he looks a bit like a tatar too.
In Russia it's espescially popular among jews. But Safin is a tatar, and his mother language is russian.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
In Russia it's espescially popular among jews. But Safin is a tatar, and his mother language is russian.

Lol what? I'm pretty sure Ostap is not a popular name among any ethnicity. Why jews? Because of Ostap Bender? He wasn't a real person, and even in the book his father is a turk, not a jew.

Brian Fogarty

@hockey_prophets
Apr 29, 2011
hockeyprophets.com
I really liked what I saw from him at the Hlinka. He moves so well for his size, and has solid instincts with and without the puck.

Here's a note I took watching him against the US in the group stage:

"More impressed with him on every shift. He just launched a hard slapshot from high on the halfboards near the top of the circle that was trouble for the US goalie."

There are more notes on him, too. He's a solid player. Keep an eye out for him this year.

Sipak4

Dec 18, 2014
So Ostap stated season in adult team in second highest league in Litomerice. What do you think, is it good for him? First match he was in third line and second in fourth line. Maybe junior team would improve him better.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
So Ostap stated season in adult team in second highest league in Litomerice. What do you think, is it good for him? First match he was in third line and second in fourth line. Maybe junior team would improve him better.

Can't believe they put him on a 4th line in the WSM league :facepalm:

Play him in top 6 in junior league. Fine
Play him on a 3rd line in Sparta. Even better
But 4th line in weak WSM? That's so bad

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Lol what? I'm pretty sure Ostap is not a popular name among any ethnicity. Why jews? Because of Ostap Bender? He wasn't a real person, and even in the book his father is a turk, not a jew.

Ostap is a popular name in the Ukraine if anything and definitely not among jews.

P.S. Ostap Bender's father is not turkish in the book. Ostap Bender calsl himself a "son of a turkish citizen". That might be hint to a different ethnicity while being a turkish citizen.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
How come he only has 18 points in 24 games in the Czech U20 league? That seems pretty bad for a "top prospect", considering d-man David Kvasnicka had 21 points in 17 games in the same league, and Ondrej Najman was over PPG in that league last year and went undrafted, then came over to NA and only produced only 25 points in 65 games in WHL...Looks like Safin got a lot of good tools, so a bit surprised he isn't producing more.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9O1ALLCbaA

What do you guys think about him after seeing this video? It seems like he can be a jack of all trades.

Has impressive tools for sure, as someone said I'm surprised he hasn't produced more in the Czech u20 league, its not as if that league is as strong as SuperElit or Jr.SM-Liiga. Seems to have similar skills as Borgstrom taken late 1st last year but Borgstrom dominated Finland's top junior league albeit he was a year older. Safin may have to dominate Czech juniors before he crosses the pond, because the success stories of those who were not top Czech junior players before going to NA and became NHL players anyway are very very limited. Tbh he's one of those Euros I'd love to see go to NCAA like Borgstrom instead of the CHL.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How come he only has 18 points in 24 games in the Czech U20 league? That seems pretty bad for a "top prospect", considering d-man David Kvasnicka had 21 points in 17 games in the same league, and Ondrej Najman was over PPG in that league last year and went undrafted, then came over to NA and only produced only 25 points in 65 games in WHL...Looks like Safin got a lot of good tools, so a bit surprised he isn't producing more.

I think it would be pretty important to know what his ice time distribution looked like.

Maybe he wasnt getting ice time early on in the season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad