F Nicholas Robertson - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2019, 53rd, TOR)

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Robertson reminds me a lot of the way Guentzel plays, with a better shot across the board. Trying not to get too excited or make any wild claims, but he’s exceeded every expectation this past year. Crazy to think he’s still 18.

This is purely my opinion, but I would take him over another talented goal scorer in Caufield every single time at this point.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
wonder of he will get in the next one. doesnt prolly deserved to be benched but guessing leafs will want some lineup changes for the sake of lineup changes for next game
I’d keep him in. Our 1st and 3rd lines were decent, the 2nd and 4th lines struggled more. Nick actually had one of our few top notch scoring chances early in the game, almost buried it.

I could see is swapping Goat for Engvall, but not sure I’d suspect any other lineup changes. Mostly the team just needs to compete a lot harder.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Robertson reminds me a lot of the way Guentzel plays, with a better shot across the board. Trying not to get too excited or make any wild claims, but he’s exceeded every expectation this past year. Crazy to think he’s still 18.

This is purely my opinion, but I would take him over another talented goal scorer in Caufield every single time at this point.
I have just kind of kept my mouth shut on the Caufield comparisons because I am sure it would rile some up....but I completely agree lol

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
He was the 5th-6th best Leaf player in terms of xGF% for the first two periods, but then fell off a cliff in the 3rd.

Really great showing. Hope we get to see his shot next game.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Thought he looked better today.

Had some chances with 4 SOG. That third line has meshed pretty well together, especially now that Kerfoot has taken a step forward.

Just a matter of time before Nick bangs one in.

It was nice to have someone on the PP that would shoot.

Reactions: Thomp94

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
IMO he's looked pretty decent in both games, full stop - like a serviceable 3LW. Then taking into account his age/experience, obviously he looks great. It's pretty nuts that an 18 year old who went 53rd overall, who wouldn't even be drafted yet if he was a few days older, can step straight into the NHL playoffs and not look out of place.

The Robertson/Kerfoot/Kapanen line looks good, love that we can bring speed, compete and skill from all 3 players, they hound the puck and make things happen. Reminds me a bit of a typical VGK line, and I think it'd be made weaker, not stronger, by substituting Robertson with Engvall (our next best 3LW option at the moment).

If/when Johnsson comes back, if there are no other injuries I'd sit Robertson. Johnsson is clearly better right now, and I don't really see Robertson as a fit on the 4th line. But until then, I'd leave Robertson in, I do think he's our best 3LW option with the one injury.

Side note, I do wonder how accurate his 5'9" listing is. Seeing him on the ice with 5'10" Kerfoot, the difference looks like more than 1" to me, I'd guess he's more like 5'8". But judging height from TV is super hard, and I could easily be wrong.

Last edited:

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
Just scored his first NHL goal! Korpisalo should have had it, but a goal is a goal :)

Just because it squeaks in doesn’t mean he should have had it. Was a quick shot. Didn’t like his skating leading up to it lol. Like him a lot though.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Great little player. Very fun to watch. He will probably get less exciting, but more effective, as he gets more comfortable and better at picking his spots, but he's certainly shown poise well beyond his years & level of experience.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Robertson chasing Leafs job means missing family’s ‘most important day' - Sportsnet.ca

TORONTO -- There is the U.S. Thanksgiving celebration Nick Robertson imagines and the one he is actually experiencing today.

The gulf between them is wide.

“If I would have a choice, it would be with my whole family back home in Michigan with the snow,” said Robertson. “We’d just have maybe like there’s Honey Baked ham ... that we like. Just being around family, friends, girlfriends, all that stuff; bring them over and just kind of enjoy ourselves."

“That would be my fantasy Thanksgiving.”

The 19-year-old Toronto Maple Leafs hopeful relays this vision from the small suburban Airbnb he’s rented while working towards turning his professional dreams into reality. He’s living on his own now for the first time. The new domestic responsibilities have taken some adjustment and Robertson chuckles while retelling a story about sending all the fire alarms blaring in the apartment after he tried pan frying a steak in the oven.

Robertson last stepped foot in the United States in May.

That’s when last he saw his parents, Mercedes and Hugh, or any of his four siblings. The California kid with strong Michigan roots made the difficult decision to remain in Canada after the Maple Leafs were eliminated from the NHL’s return-to-play in August because he felt it gave him the best opportunity to get ready for the coming season.

While his parents and a couple siblings are together in Northville, Mich., Nick is back working at the Leafs practice facility. He approaches his craft with a single-minded determination that belies his age. Robertson is inside the facility four times per week and averages more than three hours a visit, split between sessions in the gym and on the ice.

That work is a source of his confidence and part of a plan to earn a roster spot after an off-season where the Leafs added six other forwards through trades or free agency.

Now three months beyond his NHL debut -- Robertson played four playoff games inside the bubble against Columbus -- and two months after his 19th birthday, he’s back in the lab making adjustments and closely studying the tape of his performance versus the Blue Jackets.

“I think I did pretty well,” said Robertson, who scored a goal and averaged 12 minutes per night. “I think you can tell I was a little frantic or nervous, but that’s to be expected given the position we were in. You know we were in playoffs and I was playing the same team over and over and over again and with all this COVID stuff, too -- no fans -- like it was just a weird type of hockey."

“I think I’ve adapted to it now and I think the confidence is up there for myself again.”

Credit to @hockeywiz542 for this post in the Marlies thread.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Guys a beauty, and is definitely one of the top 12/13 forwards on the Leafs roster, however I think he gets pushed out due to waiver eligibility, unfortunately.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
As much as he should probably make the team, if there won't be an OHL season I would love for him to play in the AHL for a full year to get that pro experience before joining the Leafs the following year.

With that said, I'd prefer him in the NHL over the OHL for another year if the OHL plays.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
As much as he should probably make the team, if there won't be an OHL season I would love for him to play in the AHL for a full year to get that pro experience before joining the Leafs the following year.

With that said, I'd prefer him in the NHL over the OHL for another year if the OHL plays.

Even Europe would be preferable to the OHL, there's not much left for him to learn there. He needs to play somewhere where professionals are taking away his time and space every shift.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
Just because it squeaks in doesn’t mean he should have had it. Was a quick shot. Didn’t like his skating leading up to it lol. Like him a lot though.
He took a few I'll advised shots in the playoffs, there was the game he was out the for a PP and he kept getting his own rebound and fired 3 or 4 bad angle shots in a row while seams were open lmao. But like he said in that article, he was feeling a little frantic. It was just funny to watch. I think Soezza was loaded up for a 1-T and he looked him off twice. :D

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020

Agreed. Since he can't play in the AHL he needs to be in the NHL if there is a season.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Would've been nice to see Nick playing for team USA. I understand he's got bigger fish to fry but he's the game-breaking talent they sorely lacked in yesterday's game vs the Russians. Him playing with Zegras/ Turcotte would've been a treat. Caufield and Kaliyev as good as they are, unfortunately don't provide the same kind of impact.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad