F Nicholas Robertson - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2019, 53rd, TOR)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Johnsson will be back very soon (practiced on the PP today) and will prob take his spot, but still it's nice to see him getting some experience.
Johnsson is coming back from knee surgery, and only started skating a week ago (July 22). He’s still very limited in practice. Most reports are saying the absolutely earliest he’d be back is the 2nd round, if we make it that far. It takes time to build up the strength/stability in the knee to playoff hockey ready levels.

For now, Robertson and Engvall are really the only ones competing for that 3LW spot.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I really like both players but I don’t see many similarities between Yamo and Robertson other than that they’re both small and feisty tbh

Despite his size Yamomoto’s office is the front of the net, and he makes his living feasting on rebounds and off his ability to get lost in the slot.

Robertson doesn’t shy away from the middle of the ice, but he’s more of a perimeter player offensively with both a lethal one timer and very powerful wrist shot.

I don't know if he can consistently do it at the NHL level right now but a lot of his goals in the OHL were 2nd efforts on rebounds in close. He might not have the strength for it to be his bread and butter right now, but no reason to think he won't bring it back once he's closer to 185 pounds.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
not sure how a claim that someone is dumb for putting Robertson into a playoff game is not accompanied with the evidence that Robertson is not better than the alternatives.

imo it would be dumb not to play your best players.
Aren't those guys at the least proven NHLers? 1 game of shinny and perhaps the poorest of all the games this week, isn't enough to warrant him a spot imo.
Do no leaf fans think this might hurt him longterm if he shits the bed?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Aren't those guys at the least proven NHLers? 1 game of shinny and perhaps the poorest of all the games this week, isn't enough to warrant him a spot imo.

they are not. They go up and down on a whim, gauthier is only on the roster because he makes less than league min. Keefe knows those two players better than anyone else in the org. He knows what they bring and it’s not like Gauthier over a high-upside rookie is going to be the difference between a W and a L

i think only those who don’t understand player development think that putting a rookie in too soon is some kind of dice throw on the rest of their career.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Oh and if you want to see the poorest game of the week, check out how the bruins played CBJ.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

Well I guess it's a surprise for some people.

Now the shift to "they are ruining his development" and "how are they going to be able to afford him when he needs a new contract" will begin.
Can you post links to where they said they expect him to play?

If I'm wrong, come back here, and remind me. I'll have no problem admitting I was wrong. Although, I'll still stand behind saying there's no way any team should be including any of these guys in any of these games.

"Yeah I was wrong, but.."

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Congrats to him then for getting a start in the playoffs. My opinion of it aside, good for him that the coaching staff thought he earned a start in the playoffs before even reaching his D+1 season. Last player I can find that did so without being a first round pick was Bergeron.

Reactions: Petrus

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Congrats to him then for getting a start in the playoffs. My opinion of it aside, good for him that the coaching staff thought he earned a start in the playoffs before even reaching his D+1 season. Last player I can find that did so without being a first round pick was Bergeron.
We're glad to have been able to hold your hand through this moment of personal growth. Onward and upward.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I knew this kid was going to be good after watching his first few games in the OHL, but no one could have predicted his absolute meteoric rise this past year.

Not expecting a whole lot from him this post-season, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he made an impact. Either way, he’s got an extremely bright future and the fact that he’s even in this position right now playing in the post-season at his size and age speaks volumes about his talent and work ethic.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Someone inform Keefe ASAP how dumb he is. Tks.

yeah not like the guy coached potential replacements like Gauthier and Engvall for multiple years SMH

RObertson is better than either of those guys right now. He turns the 3rd line into a line that would be the 2nd line on mnay teams.
shutup and enjoy the meteoric rise of this 18 year old that Dubas absolutely stole with a late 2nd

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

Ryan O'Reilly as well.

Pretty good company. Robertson drafted the lowest of the 3.

O'Reilly at 33, Bergy at 45 and Robertson at 53.

Reactions: LeafChief

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
In the past 38 years, only three Canadian Junior players under 19 years old have been able to match Robertson’s mark of 1.20 goals/game: Eric Lindros (OHL, 1990-91), Mario Lemieux (QMJHL, 1983-84) and Joe Sakic (WHL, 1987-88).

Over the past twenty years, only two OHL players under 19 have posted a scoring rate above 1.00 goals/game: John Tavares (1.08 goals/game) and Patrick Kane (1.07 goals/game).

Becomes the first 18 year old since Iginla to start his career in the playoffs and joins Bergeron/O'Reilly/Saad as non first round 18 year olds to even play in the playoffs. (If the above posts are accurate)

I've really been too busy to follow much this year but his stats and some of the names he's tied to certainly have my attention.

For a Leafs prospect, it seems there is less overhype than usual. He certainly slipped by my radar due to the times we are living in so maybe thats part of it but as a Leafs fan, I hope he keeps it up. Looks like a homerun pick so far.

CujosMask

Nov 24, 2017
What a time for your first real NHL game.

As a fan I have no expectations but everything I've heard from this kid tells me he won't be satisfied with just being out the.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad