F Mikhail Shalagin - Shakhter Soligorsk, Belarus (2019, 198th, TBL)

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
His footspeed is pretty bad based on limited viewing, but I like the pick in the 7th round because those numbers are just unreal, there are skills, the stats makes it undeniable.

Last edited:

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I've had a hard time making up my mind on Shalagin the last couple years. He has his own play style, playing almost like a soccer midfielder, always focused on maintaining possession (which he is excellent at). He can seem a bit slow and lumbering at times, although less noticeable this year than last. But when you start to list off his attributes: 6'4", great passing/vision, heavy shot, great patience; he has a lot of things to like. If he gets faster, he could be an impact player at any level.

Worth a flyer in the 7th, and I'm not surprised that Tampa was the one that did it.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
He became pretty easy to pick out in those highlights...dude might have the wobbliest ankles I've ever seen.
If Underhill can do with Shalagin the same thing she did with Sosunov, it's gonna be a big deal. You can't teach a shot and hands like he has. You can teach him to be a serviceable skater.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
If Underhill can do with Shalagin the same thing she did with Sosunov, it's gonna be a big deal. You can't teach a shot and hands like he has. You can teach him to be a serviceable skater.

To a degree. I mean, yes Sosunov is a better skater, and seeing those amazing videos of the two of them working together, and Underhill looking like his baby, is really endearing, but Sosunov's skating while improved is still bad. I don't even know if he'll make the Crunch, and if he does he's a #6. So I agree, she can fix Shalagin's skating, but the real question is, will it be enough because it is true he does have a great shot. But I don't think that'll be enough to carry him. But we'll see. I haven't closed the book on him like I have with other prospects, and I don't mind the pick at all. It's a great home run swing.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
From what I've seen, Shalagin's speed isn't a HUGE issue but it's definitely not his strength. This guy has amazing puck skills and shot. Anyone else think he has top 6 potential?

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Makes sense to sign him to an AHL contract instead of an ELC. It should be pretty obvious after a year in the AHL if he’s going to cut it in North America or not.

Reactions: Fudge

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
This was big for Tampa. Keep him close to the organization and get him working with their trainers and such. At the end of the season they'll more or less know what they're working with and can make a decision at that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad