F Maxim Cajkovic (2019, 89th, TBL; traded to MIN; traded to PIT)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Swedish media say he will play in Canada next year, probably will be taken 1st overall
I'm not sure he'll be first. CHL import draft works in mysterious ways where the best players don't always go first. Kids will generally use leverage and the threat of staying at home to end up in a more desirable situation. I don't think players or agents really want to be in Sudbury or Flint with their developmental track records.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
I'm not sure he'll be first. CHL import draft works in mysterious ways where the best players don't always go first. Kids will generally use leverage and the threat of staying at home to end up in a more desirable situation. I don't think players or agents really want to be in Sudbury or Flint with their developmental track records.

If Kokkonen comes he will definitely challenge for that number 1 spot

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If Kokkonen comes he will definitely challenge for that number 1 spot
It all depends. I'm pretty sure Denisenko will go high if he's coming over.

But, there isn't really challenging for number 1. Look at previous import drafts. Sometimes the best player coming over will agree to go to the team picking 1st (see Svechnikov or Zacha). Other times, elite players are pretty much locks to go to good teams near the top or even later, which is how London gets imports likely to go in the first round like Juolevi, Halifax gets Hischier or Zadina, etc.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
It all depends. I'm pretty sure Denisenko will go high if he's coming over.

But, there isn't really challenging for number 1. Look at previous import drafts. Sometimes the best player coming over will agree to go to the team picking 1st (see Svechnikov or Zacha). Other times, elite players are pretty much locks to go to good teams near the top or even later, which is how London gets imports likely to go in the first round like Juolevi, Halifax gets Hischier or Zadina, etc.

In fairness to Halifax though, they select all their guys early. They’re just a more desirable market to play in then a lot of others. Frk 3rd, Ehlers 6th, Meier 12th, Hischier 6th, Zadina 11th. With the exception of Zadina and Frk, it isn’t like any of those guys were being touted as top prospects for their draft year at the time they were picked (top 10 guys).

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

We're talking about this year's import draft though. Saint John, a successful franchise with 3 QMJHL championships and 1 Memorial Cup win in 13 years, has the first pick.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
We're talking about this year's import draft though. Saint John, a successful franchise with 3 QMJHL championships and 1 Memorial Cup win in 13 years, has the first pick.
Even in those cases, the best player doesn't always end up going one. I get SNB is a solid option for kids. My main point was that the Import Draft rarely plays out in a predictable fashion.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Even in those cases, the best player doesn't always end up going one. I get SNB is a solid option for kids. My main point was that the Import Draft rarely plays out in a predictable fashion.

I know. But who says Cajkovic will be the best player taken?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I know. But who says Cajkovic will be the best player taken?
Apparently the first poster I responded to.

They could have a locked in a deal for someone who is good but not viewed as the best, and a better player taken later could decide to come over.

For example, last year SNB took Khovanov 2nd overall took Zadina at 11, with Zadina universally being viewed as the better prospect (although, Khovanov had likely 3 years in the CHL to Zadina's 2, with Zadina also more likely to leave after 1). There are always a bunch of dynamics at play with the import draft that makes it play-out much different than regular NHL or CHL entry drafts.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

They could have a locked in a deal for someone who is good but not viewed as the best, and a better player taken later could decide to come over.

For example, last year SNB took Khovanov 2nd overall took Zadina at 11, with Zadina universally being viewed as the better prospect (although, Khovanov had likely 3 years in the CHL to Zadina's 2, with Zadina also more likely to leave after 1). There are always a bunch of dynamics at play with the import draft that makes it play-out much different than regular NHL or CHL entry drafts.

1+1=2

hockey2015

Jun 30, 2014
TsqyRC.gif

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015

Moncton. SNB took Salda 113th with their first pick

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Scored a hat trick against Moncton wildcats. 9 points (6+3) in 5 pre season games so far

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->