F Macklin Celebrini - Boston University Terriers, NCAA (2024 Draft)

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Saw this Canadian forward listed as a top prospect for 2024. Was surprised to see he's going to high school in the US, someone knows the story behind it I'm sure.

Macklin Celebrini at eliteprospects.com
His dad is Rick Celebrini, a former national team soccer player (for Canada) who is a sports doctor/physiotherapist who has held positions with the Vancouver Canucks, the Vancouver Whitecaps, and the Golden State Warriors among others. Macklin played his minor hockey in British Columbia, but when his dad joined Golden State, Macklin played his first year of 14U in San Jose and then went to Shattuck for his second 14U year.

Last edited:

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Has not played the last 3 matches. He is hurt?

Last edited:

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Any news if Celebrini will come to whl or follow the Ncaa route? If coming to whl will probably be the second overall choice? or does the fact that he's doing so well on u18 while Catton is on u16 make him the first choice? Opinions?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Any news if Celebrini will come to whl or follow the Ncaa route? If coming to whl will probably be the second overall choice? or does the fact that he's doing so well on u18 while Catton is on u16 make him the first choice? Opinions?
Not sure if he's leaning WHL or College atm but he has been in the US long enough he's eligible for the US WHL draft so I'm guessing he'll go 1st in that draft. Catton is already going to Spokane at 1 in the regular draft....whether he still would over Celebrini we won't know. The US draft is the day before the normal draft and Seattle has the 1st pick in that draft

Reactions: JotAlan

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Not sure if he's leaning WHL or College atm but he has been in the US long enough he's eligible for the US WHL draft so I'm guessing he'll go 1st in that draft. Catton is already going to Spokane at 1 in the regular draft....whether he still would over Celebrini we won't know. The US draft is the day before the normal draft and Seattle has the 1st pick in that draft

In that case, if he is not drafted in the US WHL draft, can he not be drafted?

But if the draft was today and you had first choice, would you choose Catton or Celebrini?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
In that case, if he is not drafted in the US WHL draft, can he not be drafted?

But if the draft was today and you had first choice, would you choose Catton or Celebrini?
The US draft happens first and there's no way he doesn't get picked by someone....if he somehow didn't though he could then be taken in the regular WHL draft. Have only seen Catton so can't comment on who I'd take between the 2 atm. Have heard great things on Celebrini and seen great things from Catton so both are likely to be special players for a long time.

Reactions: JotAlan

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
For those of you who have watched him and Cole Eiserman together, who would you say is more impressive?
It depends on what you mean by "impressive."

Eiserman has more sizzle to his game and has that bring-you-out-of-your-seat type of skillset. He is fast, shows tremendous anticipation and a nose for the net, and he has a great shot. He can score from range with his wrist shot. He is also not afraid to mix it up physically and will throw a big hit on the forecheck, too.

Celebrini has good skills too, and a great one-timer, but he is a more cerebral player. Whereas Eiserman is a LW, Celebrini is a two-way centre who can contribute in many more ways, and some subtle ways that aren't "impressive" unless you understand why they are so important. They make coaches smile, but aren't likely to make fans cheer.

This is based on last year when they played 14U. I have not had a really good look at Celebrini this year because he was hurt for the games that I watched.

Last edited:

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
Celebrini is a pretty interesting player. He's a super complete player with high Hockey instinct. Not the most exciting player but has a lot of potential that can make him a consistent player in the pros. I see a two-way mid-six Center based on his current play if he can stay healthy.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
macklin-andy.gif

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
A bump

| 3 x Shattuck players this season comparison points wisely |

Celebrini

45 games
41 goals
55 assists
96 points
2.13 ppg

vs

Whitelaw

49 games
42 goals
53 assists
95 points
1.94 ppg

vs

Eiserman

47 games
46 goals
25 assists
71 points
1.50 ppg

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Seeing some rumors that Celebrini might be headed to Chicago to join the Steel program and give them yet another unbelievable prospect moving forward...also has me wondering if we might see him as the next superstar prospect headed to Ann Arbor to join the Wolverines...UM could package him up with his defenseman older brother (Aiden...also at SSM, 2023 draft eligible) and pull another "Fantilli's". Pure conjecture on my part of course but fun to ponder.

SSM has some serious talent up front this year at the U18 and U16 levels but Mack(lin)'s 15 year-old season with the U18 team (2.13 ppg) is pretty unprecedented in recent times. Crosby's 162 points in 57 games for the U18's as a 15 year-old is pretty untouchable. But I believe Mack's season is the best 15 year-old season at the U18 level since then. Toews put up 118 in 70 (1.68 ppg). Clayton Keller put up 77 in 51 games (1.50 ppg) his 15 year-old season - which is roughly also what Eiserman has done this year. MacKinnon was still with the U16 team his 15 year-old season, granted he was younger / later birthdate.

Obviously stats at this level aren't always apples to apples comparisons especially when talking over two decades of time. But it's not hard to see Celebrini (and Eiserman) eventually joining the ranks of SSM-grad stars at the college/junior and perhaps eventually NHL level. What they did this year was rarified air and I think that is going to become more and more clear as they progress moving forward.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad