F Mackie Samoskevich - Chicago Steel, USHL (2021, 24th, FLA)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is my pick to come from off the radar to be a very high first round pick in 2021. Samoskevich is a highly skilled forward. The way he plays the game is similar to players such as Panarin, Kane, Marner, Raymond. He has unbelievable ability to hold onto the puck in traffic for an extra few seconds with fakes, cuts and excellent hands and edge work. But he also has very good skating acceleration, and high end passing and shooting.

He played a smaller role this year on one of the best teams in USHL history, so his counting stats don’t reflect how good he is offensively. He probably is the most offensively skilled player on a team with guys such as Farrell, Brisson, Colangelo, Fontaine, Power, Coronato. I’ll list him as a forward for now. I’ve seen him play winger or center, but he plays the type of game that often ends up at winger. He gives good two way effort though, skates very well for a 5’10 forward and doesn’t need to put on the weight that some of these types of players have needed to, so it’s not impossible he could play center, but I think he’s most likely a LW.

He’s yet another of the Chicago Steel players that’ll play next year at Michigan. Interestingly, he also has two sisters, one a twin, who are very good hockey players. His older sister is already on the US National Team, and the twin played for the 18’s last year. Another interesting fact is that he comes from the town where the infamous Sandy Hook shooting occurred, but that’s not in any way related to hockey.

Matthew Samoskevich at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
There seems to be some confusion over where he's going to be playing next season.

I saw a tweet from a prospect writer about Michigan's incoming class that didn't make it very clear if Samoskevich is joining in 2021, but I also saw a tweet from someone I presume is his mother that states he graduated from high school. Would someone graduate from high-school to go back to the USHL for another year?

Does anyone know where he's playing next season? Maybe @tealhockey would know?

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
There seems to be some confusion over where he's going to be playing next season.

I saw a tweet from a prospect writer about Michigan's incoming class that didn't make it very clear if Samoskevich is joining in 2021, but I also saw a tweet from someone I presume is his mother that states he graduated from high school. Would someone graduate from high-school to go back to the USHL for another year?

Does anyone know where he's playing next season? Maybe @tealhockey would know?
he will be back in chicago

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
he will be back in chicago

Thread title changed. Thank you!

He's going to light up the USHL next year playing a first line role. I'm sure Michigan would've allowed him to turn up, but it might be a wise decision to guarantee a huge role in his draft year on the dominant team in the USHL than have to compete for playing time as a young freshman.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Here’s Hardy on Samoskevich: “Among our forward group, which had a lot of skill, Matthew (was) probably our most pure skilled forward. He’s a really good player, really talented. Next year we’ll see an even bigger jump. I’m really excited about his prospects going forward with his skill level. He has been really open to learning and getting better and has just done an awesome job for us.”

Wheeler: Preseason ranking for the 2021 NHL Draft's top 32 prospects

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Just watched the 1st game of the season, he played well on the top line with Farrell and top PP though it's hard to get a read on a game like that as Muskegon has been crazy good at offense (19 goals in 3 games) and total shit on defense (16 goals against in 3 games) but he seems to fit well with the playmaking Farrell.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Just watched the 1st game of the season, he played well on the top line with Farrell and top PP though it's hard to get a read on a game like that as Muskegon has been crazy good at offense (19 goals in 3 games) and total shit on defense (16 goals against in 3 games) but he seems to fit well with the playmaking Farrell.

Was Fantilli playing as well?

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Samoskevich looks a lot like Jarvis. Similar frame, exceptional skating, outstanding vision, and big time hockey IQ. Both have an underwhelming shot from the outside but find ways to finish. The question for both will be if the creativity and elusiveness traits translate. Mackie is top 15 for me right now.

Reactions: William H Bonney

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
just watched the 2nd game of the season from Friday night, once again i was impressed with his play but that team is just loaded as they have scored about 14 goals in the 2 games i've seen.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
3 more points tonight, including a goal. Now at ten points through four games.

Chicago hasn’t been as good at the start of this season, and the problem hasn’t been the offense. They have like 4-5 good defenseman prospects, as well, so I’m thinking it’s more likely some weak play in net, although I haven’t seen any of their games yet this season.

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018
3 more points tonight, including a goal. Now at ten points through four games.

Chicago hasn’t been as good at the start of this season, and the problem hasn’t been the offense. They have like 4-5 good defenseman prospects, as well, so I’m thinking it’s more likely some weak play in net, although I haven’t seen any of their games yet this season.
The goaltending hasn't been great but the D and structure has been terrible in front of them. They give up a ton of chances.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Anybody else coming up on this guy? I think he has a chance to be a real good player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Anybody else coming up on this guy? I think he has a chance to be a real good player.

I’ve went back and watched a lot of the Steel games from this season. He’s been great. He makes 2-3 plays a game offensively that are too high-end to be defended, and you see that translating to the NHL. His offense/skating is elite. And his point totals are crazy fluky. He’s missing open nets, having his penalty shots saved, having goals called back that were goals. He’s the offensive driver on that team, despite only being 4th in points, although 21 points in 15 games is not bad, at all.

Defensively, he needs work. He makes too many risky plays. Too much trying to dangle in his own zone and sometimes on his own goal line. His defensive effort is good and he’s strong on face offs, but his puck management will need to improve. It’s nothing too worrying though. These same things are common in many of these types of players.

I have him 5th on my draft board. I think the upside is too high to have him any lower. He could be a star first line forward in the Kane/Panarin/Marner/Hughes type of mold. I think ultimately he’s a winger who can play center in a pinch, but I wouldn’t rule out that he sticks at center. I’d compare him very realistically in terms of eventual outcome to William Nylander.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad