F Kenta Isogai - Wenatchee Wild, WHL (2022 undrafted)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's playing for the Youngstown Phantoms this year.

He's doing well to get in the lineup more regularly than a few other 16 year olds, but he has almost zero impact. And his skating looks very sluggish for a player who is only 5'11.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Thought he’d take a step forward this year but his point pace is worse than last season. Anyone here who can tell me more about him?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
japanese players gets hyped just becuse they are japanese. not a single of all those endless hyped japanese players has ever turned into a good player in the best leagues (nhl, khl, shl, nla, ahl)

I was thinking the same thing but also thought at some time that will change.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
At first there was Aito Oguchi, Yu Sato, now Isogai.

Nice to see some players breaking the 'import barrier', but not sure if any will actually make the NHL any time soon.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I didn't see him on any lists i saw for the draft, is he ranked somewhere or it's more likely he's not drafted this year?

AlexanderSemin21

Jun 2, 2022
Medellín, Colombia
I remember when Shuhei Kuji dominated the Asian League and then went to Eisbare Berlin and he scored 2 points in 37 games.. japanese players are a bit of a fraud lol, but i think Yushiro Hiranoh could play some games in the NHL next season.

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I remember when Shuhei Kuji dominated the Asian League and then went to Eisbare Berlin and he scored 2 points in 37 games.. japanese players are a bit of a fraud lol, but i think Yushiro Hiranoh could play some games in the NHL next season.

Lol, I hardly throw this line around but ‘a little bit ignorant of you to say that’ about Japanese players don’t you think?

It’s going to be a long, long time before we ever see a pure Chinese, Japanese or even Korean player break through that barrier.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
There's no compelling reason for talented players to go to another continent when they can also earn a living in domestic hockey.
Fame, nationalism, and perhap better living if the player moves overseas.

Also, I think the money looks better on paper overseas than Japan.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Kenta looks a lot better than his stats. High-end skater with solid skill. Works really hard. Just hasn’t been able to turn his tools into production. I think he can be a pro in Europe for sure. His agent is German, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up there one day.

Reactions: BKarchitect

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Kenta looks a lot better than his stats. High-end skater with solid skill. Works really hard. Just hasn’t been able to turn his tools into production. I think he can be a pro in Europe for sure. His agent is German, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up there one day.
Yes, very good skating abilities, skilled, not afraid to crash the net

Reactions: BKarchitect

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Unless you can make the NHL there's no point really, in Europe a Japanese player that is no better than domestic talent isn't going to be paid more than in the Asia League.
While your statement isn't wrong, I just think being in Europe still can be a stepping stone for Asian players to enter the North American league, although the likelihood of entering the NHL is quite slim.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Taken by the Wenatchee Wild in the import draft.

First Japanese player taken in the WHL import draft.

WHL is saying he's 5’9” / 159 lbs...but EP is saying he's 5'11"?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Yeah, an interesting prospect, still pretty far from playing in NHL, but good chance he'll become a solid professional player in AHL or Europe.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Yeah, an interesting prospect, still pretty far from playing in NHL, but good chance he'll become a solid professional player in AHL or Europe.
He might just be good enough that a team might sign him to play on an NHL Roster as some sort of historic milestone. (First Japanese born and trained skater in the NHL.)
Hell, he might have a small chance that he could genuinely carve out a fringe NHL career.

This guy is 100 times the player Aito Iguchi ever was.

Reactions: Bubbles

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He might just be good enough that a team might sign him to play on an NHL Roster as some sort of historic milestone. (First Japanese born and trained skater in the NHL.)
Hell, he might have a small chance that he could genuinely carve out a fringe NHL career.

This guy is 100 times the player Aito Iguchi ever was.

Yeah, if Shogun TV show is as popular as it's going to be, one of NHL teams will sign him, or at leats it's how I see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad