F Karl Henriksson - Frolunda J20, SuperElit (2019, 58th, NYR)

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Solid two-way center, more of a playmaker but can score too. Probably have better stats than he should due to centering Raymond, and internationally centering Raymond, & Holtz. Prefer Arvid Costmar when it comes to Swedish 2019 centers myself.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Only saw him once in Gothenburg and Raymond stole the show, but Henriksson was visible all over the ice as well. Solely based on that one game, I agree with the above – he looked like a strong two-way centre with excellent skating abolity and playmaking upside. Looked like a solid (high) mid-round pick to me.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Raymond and Holtz are going to get this guy drafted.
How so? They may improve his stock a little bit. He was definitely going to be drafted in the mid rounds anyways. He’s had an impressive season in the SuperElit and earned himself a small taste of SHL hockey at a young age.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How so? They may improve his stock a little bit. He was definitely going to be drafted in the mid rounds anyways. He’s had an impressive season in the SuperElit and earned himself a small taste of SHL hockey at a young age.

Considering he’s not likely going any higher than round 3-4, I don’t think he was going to be drafted in the mid rounds anyway.

After around player 10 or so of the players for Sweden in a given draft, there are 10-20 who could be drafted in the later rounds. They are mostly interchangeable in assessing their likelihood to be picked. He might’ve ended up being a later pick or might’ve not been picked. His play has been elevated by playing with star players and his stats also have been elevated. That doesn’t mean scouts aren’t able to assess his play, but I’m sure it factors in, even if the scouts try not to factor in who he’s playing with.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Considering he’s not likely going any higher than round 3-4, I don’t think he was going to be drafted in the mid rounds anyway.

After around player 10 or so of the players for Sweden in a given draft, there are 10-20 who could be drafted in the later rounds. They are mostly interchangeable in assessing their likelihood to be picked. He might’ve ended up being a later pick or might’ve not been picked. His play has been elevated by playing with star players and his stats also have been elevated. That doesn’t mean scouts aren’t able to assess his play, but I’m sure it factors in, even if the scouts try not to factor in who he’s playing with.
I disagree. I had him projected in the fourth round. He's played very solid this year with Frolunda and I'm sure most of the professional scouts would've been able to see that in viewings prior to the tournament.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I disagree. I had him projected in the fourth round. He's played very solid this year with Frolunda and I'm sure most of the professional scouts would've been able to see that in viewings prior to the tournament.

Fair enough, but you’ve watched him play on a line with Raymond and Holtz for Sweden and with Raymond at Frolunda. I’m making the point that with different line mates, he might be regarded differently.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Fair enough, but you’ve watched him play on a line with Raymond and Holtz for Sweden and with Raymond at Frolunda. I’m making the point that with different line mates, he might be regarded differently.
No doubt. But any player that makes it to the NHL will have decent linemates there. So you really just need someone who can be a strong complementary player. If he can drive a line himself, that’s just a bonus. And Henriksson is an excellent skater, very smart, and plays a strong two-way game. Perfect tools for an NHL player, even if it’s as a complementary guy.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Really impressed by this kids speed and intelligence. Makes so many smart plays on both ends of the ice. I think on the back of this u18 tourny performance and his season in the SuperElit he'll be like Karlsson last season and get picked in the top 90.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
There's some Aho in this kid.

I am really high on the kid too. He is good already, really good, and he also seem to have a lot of potential to develop.

He was in contention for a spot on the junior national soccer team very late in age and chose hockey exclusively quite recently. His skating is fantastic for someone that doesn’t seem to be in perfect shape yet.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
We are terrible drafting out of Sweden. Hopefully this kid turns into an NHL'er, but I don't expect it. They need to fire the Swedish scout immediately because that guy is terrible at his job.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
McKenzie said that one team had Henriksson in the first round, looks like it was us. I’m pretty happy with this pick honestly

Reactions: Ana Crusis

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
McKenzie said that one team had Henriksson in the first round, looks like it was us. I’m pretty happy with this pick honestly

How do you figure? He was picked as our second pick at the end of the 2nd round. I guess it's possible that if it's not us someone else would have chosen him but maybe they had someone ranked higher.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
We are terrible drafting out of Sweden. Hopefully this kid turns into an NHL'er, but I don't expect it. They need to fire the Swedish scout immediately because that guy is terrible at his job.
He's fantastic, I had Henriksson 31st on my final list. He's small, but is so coachable and is one of the smartest players in this draft. Looked fantastic at all areas on the ice, on the PP/PK, and is an absurd faceoff man. Question will be how much offencive potential will eventually translate to the pros, but man oh man there is a lot to like here.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's fantastic, I had Henriksson 31st on my final list. He's small, but is so coachable and is one of the smartest players in this draft. Looked fantastic at all areas on the ice, on the PP/PK, and is an absurd faceoff man. Question will be how much offencive potential will eventually translate to the pros, but man oh man there is a lot to like here.

I have a different opinion. I could be wrong, but I think he looks like a product of Raymond and Holtz for Sweden. I haven't seen him play for Frolunda's junior team, but I believe he plays on the same line as Raymond for that team, so I suspect it's the same thing.

Not the type of gamble I'd take in the second round. I don't think his upside is particularly high, and the floor is obviously a non-NHL'er, if he was a product of those players.

Reactions: EK47

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
I have a different opinion. I could be wrong, but I think he looks like a product of Raymond and Holtz for Sweden. I haven't seen him play for Frolunda's junior team, but I believe he plays on the same line as Raymond for that team, so I suspect it's the same thing.

Not the type of gamble I'd take in the second round. I don't think his upside is particularly high, and the floor is obviously a non-NHL'er, if he was a product of those players.
So, you saw him in one tournament and formulated your opinion? Oof.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014

“He’s sick. As good as it gets, really. He’s incredibly skilled and reads the game very well. It’s a privilege to play alongside him. Our line likes to be creative in the offensive zone and he is a big part of our offensive success.” - Alexander Holtz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad