F Justin Poirier - Baie-Comeau, QMJHL (2024 NHL Draft)

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Biggest disappointment of the Hlinka for me. Frustrating plays - turnovers, blocked shots, high and wides. His negatives the - size and skating - were much bigger issues here than they were at the U17 challenge. At his best he looks like the next Marchand, but he looked like a day 2 pick for most of the tournament.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Biggest disappointment of the Hlinka for me. Frustrating plays - turnovers, blocked shots, high and wides. His negatives the - size and skating - were much bigger issues here than they were at the U17 challenge. At his best he looks like the next Marchand, but he looked like a day 2 pick for most of the tournament.

Don't think you set your expectations at the right place if you thought he was a candidate to get picked on day 1 of the NHL draft.

I think he's a fair 4th-5th round pick, I think he'll score a bunch in the Q this season.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Don't think you set your expectations at the right place if you thought he was a candidate to get picked on day 1 of the NHL draft.

I think he's a fair 4th-5th round pick, I think he'll score a bunch in the Q this season.
Perhaps that will be the case. He has some NHL caliber attributes but some real concerns too. I could see anything from early 2nd to the range you project. He will be an interesting prospect to watch this year.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Going to be way too hated, like his brother, and then reach the NHL after being picked way too late, also like Jeremie.
I think Justin will be a considerably more dominant junior player. He certainly has some pro potential too, but he's probably got less raw upside than his brother.

With Jeremie, you were always waiting to see if he'd put it all together and improve his defensive game.

With Justin, he's going to be great and play to the maximum of his skillset, but you won't be sure if his game translates into a NHL player.

Reactions: wetcoast

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Justin will be a considerably more dominant junior player. He certainly has some pro potential too, but he's probably got less raw upside than his brother.

With Jeremie, you were always waiting to see if he'd put it all together and improve his defensive game.

With Justin, he's going to be great and play to the maximum of his skillset, but you won't be sure if his game translates into a NHL player.
Yeah, I agree with that. I continue to believe Justin may see a growth spurt in the next year. He doesn't turn 18 until September of 2024. He's one of the youngest players in the 2024 draft. It's not impossible for one brother to be 5 inches taller than another, but it is unusual. Justin doesn't need to grow to 6'1. I think if he grows another 2-3 inches to 5'10 or 5'11, he will move up draft boards. Because outside of his height, I like his whole offensive skillset and I think with a growth spurt he has first round potential. Whether it happens, too early to tell. But I can also absolutely see him dropping like Cristall, Dumais, and a bunch of other smaller forwards usually do due to height and perceived skating concerns (real or not).

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Yeah, I agree with that. I continue to believe Justin may see a growth spurt in the next year. He doesn't turn 18 until September of 2024. He's one of the youngest players in the 2024 draft. It's not impossible for one brother to be 5 inches taller than another, but it is unusual. Justin doesn't need to grow to 6'1. I think if he grows another 2-3 inches to 5'10 or 5'11, he will move up draft boards. Because outside of his height, I like his whole offensive skillset and I think with a growth spurt he has first round potential. Whether it happens, too early to tell. But I can also absolutely see him dropping like Cristall, Dumais, and a bunch of other smaller forwards usually do due to height and perceived skating concerns (real or not).

It's not impossible but the guy was already 180 pounds at 5'7 in Midget when I scouted him. Usually those that continue growing are on the lanky side but we'll see. He's certainly playing with a lot more fire to his game than Dumais, but I don't know if he's got quite that unbelievable hockey sense. He's more of a make things happen by forcing them into existence rather than a cerebral player like Dumais. He's almost a power forward in some ways, so his size may become a concern at one point.

Reactions: Teaspoon salami

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I thought there were some bright moments in the Hlinka and then some dark moments.

He wasted a lot of good powerplay possessions with bad and inaccurate shots. But he can really navigate traffic and get himself into a good scoring position.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Goal #20

If someone is looking for a sniper and doesn't have a top 15 pick
they 100% should pick him in the late 1st round.

Can't teach goal scoring.

He might be on the short side, but he isn't small
13-11-2023 8-13-52.jpg

Reactions: Dutronc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad