F Justin Poirier - Baie-Comeau, QMJHL (2024 NHL Draft)

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I think he’s a good skater and a decent playmaker too, although obviously more of a goal scorer.

The questions are size, defense, and can it translate to higher levels where there’s less space.

I haven't seen that much of Poirier this season, and only a bit in the playoffs. But from the games I did see he seemed very tough to dislodge from around the net or when battling for the puck even at his diminutive stature, making plays through contact on a consistent basis.

So I'd say that in his case size concerns, while valid, don't hold as much sway as they would over, say, a Lane Hutson and his thin build.

Although CHL players are far from matching NHLers in size, speed, reach, and strength, I still think that Poirier could potentially find success at the highest level with a bit of tweaking to his game, and some quicker decisions with the puck on his stick given how he's seemingly relished and adaptated to a tighter-checking playoffs setting.

To add, in the couple games I saw Poirier was also really good at sneaking-in, finding open space in or near the slot, as well as lulling defenders into forgetting his presence and then coming in to the dangerous areas at the right moment to receive a pass and score. And that skillset relies mostly on timing and hockey sense, so that should translate to the NHL though adjustment will still be required of course.

I also saw Poirier score from distance quite well (his shot + release overall are borderline elite), on one-timers, and grinding it out on the corners before converging to the net and getting greasier goals. These different facets to Poirier's scoring game prove that he is a very versatile goalscorer, another translatable trait of his.

All of which to say that I'm quite high on Poirier and actually think he could be a star in the NHL if he continues improving his skating and balance, works on his play selection a bit, and commits himself even more to physical training so he handles contact better than he does now.

As far as draft positions go, I think I'd have Poirier as an early second-rounder right now but he's definitely rising in my rankings with his performance in the playoffs, so he might even make it to the tail-end of my first round before the draft happens.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Logan Stankoven is 5'8'' and 171 pounds.

and his overall offensive game isn't as good as Stankoven's was going into the draft. Poirier probably goes late second or in the 3rd.

I'd like Montreal to get him there, but I'm not drafting him earlier than that.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Was talking about that he's 5'8. That's always an issue in pro hockey. The average height for an NHL forward is around 6'1.
Most forwards at 5’8 or 5’9 with his skill aren’t 190. I have less concern about him than a 6’1 170 pound winger.

and his overall offensive game isn't as good as Stankoven's was going into the draft. Poirier probably goes late second or in the 3rd.

Are we ignoring that Stankoven is 20 pounds lighter? How thick a player is will be more important than height. Can you win one on one battles.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Most forwards at 5’8 or 5’9 with his skill aren’t 190. I have less concern about him than a 6’1 170 pound winger.

Are we ignoring that Stankoven is 20 pounds lighter? How thick a player is will be more important than height. Can you win one on one battles.
You make some good points. I am a fan of Poirier, but let's be real that the height, whether he has a strong build or not, is something that is not going to do him favors with NHL teams.

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
You make some good points. I am a fan of Poirier, but let's be real that the height, whether he has a strong build or not, is something that is not going to do him favors with NHL teams.

I’m sure seeing DeBrincat and Stankoven have success in the league has teams more open to taking a swing. A team like Chicago with multiple 2nds should take a chance. It worked the first time lol

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I do like him more than I have other small players George has rooted for in the past. There is potential here to be a top-6 option, but it’s FAR from guarenteed. He is still a midget.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

This is fair
Sure but he is the type of project that a team with multiple second rounders or 2 firsts and a second can take him in the second as the upside is there but so is the risk.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I would take him with our 2nd 2nd rounder, but not in the first. IMO at worst he's Nigel Dawes.
He will be gone. I feel like he’s the next Cristal, Brindley, Stankoven where people will wonder how he didn’t go higher.

It’s not like he’s small. He’s 190 pounds and built like a running back.

I think small guys that are slow tend to suck at the NHL level but he’s got some wheels like his brother.

The rest of the guys in that range have middle six potential, we have lots of those guys coming. We need some guys who can turn out to be no question asked top 6ers.

johnnystormcgy

May 26, 2007
He will be gone. I feel like he’s the next Cristal, Brindley, Stankoven where people will wonder how he didn’t go higher.

It’s not like he’s small. He’s 190 pounds and built like a running back.

I think small guys that are slow tend to suck at the NHL level but he’s got some wheels like his brother.

The rest of the guys in that range have middle six potential, we have lots of those guys coming. We need some guys who can turn out to be no question asked top 6ers.

I would rather hope for one of Hage, Boisvert, Parascak, or Artamonov with that pick, but to each their own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad