W Joshua Roy - Laval Rocket, AHL (2021, 150th, MTL)

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
Joshua Roy is having an amazing start of the year in the QMAAA with 9 goals and 14 points in 5 games (2,8 PPG). He is already considered by many as the top prospect for the 2019 QMJHL draft.

I followed Roy since I saw him play in Pee-wee AAA and he keeps on impressing me every time I watch him. He is a sniper/finisher with very good hands. He also developed a lot his defensive game in the recent years. Overall, he is more of an offensive player though.

He was born in August 2003. He's 5'11'' and weight 165 pounds (from August 2018).

EP --> Joshua Roy at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I'd say Roy is probably an elite playmaker as well, but his goal scoring is so insane that his vision is overlooked a bit. His hockey sense is incredible. He has grown and is much bigger than he was just last year, he's strong, fast, has one of the quickest releases I've seen at this level. His hands and instincts are off the charts.

He's better than Lapierre last year, and I was a big time Lapierre fanboy. Joshua Roy is very highly likely the 1st overall pick in the Q draft this year.

Waiting to see if Legault or Malatesta can compete with him but I just don't expect it anymore.

Nadeau is incredible though, that guy's passing skills are absolutely insane.

Edit : It's possible he ends the season with more points than Lafreniere did. At the very least, I expect him to finish with more goals. Not that he is as good a prospect, but I think he'll produce just as much at this level.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Tristan Roy is at least two notches under Joshua. I'd say Tristan projects as a late first rounder or second rounder for the next Q draft while Joshua is likely the next first overall pick.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Ok before pumping up the hype train look at the context of his stats because they explain the points to a large extent.

He’s not Lafreniere and not the early consensus, a month ago it was Legault, race is wide open.

I’m no longer in a position where I can freely comment on QC guys so I’ll leave it at that.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Peter Reynolds, Cameron whynot and Cameron Macdonald all are in the 1st overall debate too...Macdonald and Reynolds could be going NCAA though

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Ok before pumping up the hype train look at the context of his stats because they explain the points to a large extent.

He’s not Lafreniere and not the early consensus, a month ago it was Legault, race is wide open.

I’m no longer in a position where I can freely comment on QC guys so I’ll leave it at that.

To be fair, I had Joshua Roy locked in at first since November last year, I'm not talking about consensus. It is simply my belief that he's going to be the first overall pick. I know he scored a lot against some weak teams, but it's not his production that matters here, it's his level of dominance. Legault has all the tools to be a first overall pick but his decision making is simply not there at all for now.

And my point isn't that he's a Lafreniere level prospect, although I believe he's at least a Lapierre/Poulin level prospect. I'm just saying he'll score more goals than Lafreniere did in Midget AAA this year.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
To be fair, I had Joshua Roy locked in at first since November last year, I'm not talking about consensus. It is simply my belief that he's going to be the first overall pick. I know he scored a lot against some weak teams, but it's not his production that matters here, it's his level of dominance. Legault has all the tools to be a first overall pick but his decision making is simply not there at all for now.

And my point isn't that he's a Lafreniere level prospect, although I believe he's at least a Lapierre/Poulin level prospect. I'm just saying he'll score more goals than Lafreniere did in Midget AAA this year.
Don’t agree in Legault, but to each his own.

Honeslty they have a weak division it’s possible...

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018

I totally agree he's not on Lafrenière level, but I feel like he's currently the best prospect for the 2019 QMJHL draft and that's without looking at his stats. His offensive skill and decision making are incredible. The consensus #1 spot is still super open tough.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I totally agree he's not on Lafrenière level, but I feel like he's currently the best prospect for the 2019 QMJHL draft and that's without looking at his stats. His offensive skill and decision making are incredible. The consensus #1 spot is still super open tough.
He wins too, which is huge. I can’t take that away from him, big game player.

I think it will come down to him vs Legault in the end, last year at this point Mianscum was considered the top guy for his Espoir exploits.

And @Pavel Buchnevich hes a center.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
He wins too, which is huge. I can’t take that away from him, big game player.

I think it will come down to him vs Legault in the end, last year at this point Mianscum was considered the top guy for his Espoir exploits.

And @Pavel Buchnevich hes a center.

I personally feel cam macdonald who is 6'2 fast skater...great IQ...amazing goal scorer and excellent playmaker or Reynolds, who reminds me of a young Daniel briere are the two main

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Joshua Roy has 9 goals, 10 assists (19 pts) in 9 games now.

Lafreniere finished with 2.30 PPG
Roy is at 2.11 PPG

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
i have to say Joshua Roy is in the race for 1st overall right now too so I can not be biased towards MacDonald and Reynolds (when both are probably going NCAA anyway)

Don't they always say things like this? If they end up with Halifax or Saint Johns it's a good bet that they'll report.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Don't they always say things like this? If they end up with Halifax or Saint Johns it's a good bet that they'll report.
A lot now do say things like this which is sad, mostly because agents are the big problem for this advising kids and family how to get them the team that they want plus also get some cash and major purchases, agents want the money especially since they do not make money till the kid starts to earn a real paycheck through hockey. Halifax, Saint John and Quebec are the main teams to throw money around...MacDonald I could possibly see doing this...Reynolds hard to say, if he did it with any teams it would be Saint John he would go too.

Cam MacDonald doing well with the Selects right now in 11 games has 13 goals and 7 assists he is 6'02/180

there are also other amazing east coasters on that team too Ryan Green from NFLD who has 17 points in 11 games...defender Oscar Plandowski who is a great 2 way defender and a very BIG defender in Eli Barnett from New Brunswick who looks like a decent player.

Peter Reynolds has 3 goals in 4 games with Shattuck he is one of the youngest on the team

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad