F Josh Lawrence - Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL (2020 undrafted)

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
New Brunswick has possibly the best 2002 born player in Eastern Canada and a chance of being the best in all of Canada. This guy is just down right dominant at such a young age, a 2002 born, so far at the monctonian has 11 points in 3 games and in regular season 13 points in 7 games, but his IQ is off the charts, amazing puck handler, great vision and play making, great shooter, exciting and just takes over on the ice every time he is out there.

Can see him getting exception to play midget next year...this guy is the best since Nathan Mackinnon that i have seen.
http://www.nbbantamaaa.ca/site/3333...sionID=0&TeamID=19&PlayerID=2209&Section=Home

Last edited:
Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Haven't seen him play, but i'm curious what you think about the 2001s in Atlantic Canada, seems like a strong class to me.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
New Brunswick has possibly the best 2002 born player in Eastern Canada and a chance of being the best in all of Canada. This guy is just down right dominant at such a young age, a 2002 born, so far at the monctonian has 11 points in 3 games and in regular season 13 points in 7 games, but his IQ is off the charts, amazing puck handler, great vision and play making, great shooter, exciting and just takes over on the ice every time he is out there.

Can see him getting exception to play midget next year...this guy is the best since Nathan Mackinnon that i have seen.
http://www.nbbantamaaa.ca/site/3333...sionID=0&TeamID=19&PlayerID=2209&Section=Home

I will have to fully agree here. This kid is flat out great, amazing footspeed and handle the puck like a dream. If he doesnt go away to play he will be an impact player in Midget as an underage.

Ed Belfour

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
I love these long-range names to remember. I'll try and keep tabs on him over the next few years. Thanks for the tip scoutman!

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
In before Patrice Cormier reference

I heard the hype from people at the Monctonian this morning. Looking forward to seeing him play myself.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
In before Patrice Cormier reference

I heard the hype from people at the Monctonian this morning. Looking forward to seeing him play myself.

And Steven Anthony, and Nathan Noel, and Luc Deschenes, and Ben Duffy, etc.

Maritime players, for right or wrong, get over-hyped very much on here

qc2nf

Jan 7, 2013
Agree 100%, yes there have been things said about players of his age but Scoutman is correct his IQ is incredible for that age.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014

Alex Forsberg, John McFarland, etc. Were the same. It isn't only Maritimes.

FWIW Noel isn't a maritime since NL is not a Maritime province.

Scoutman has also identified the likes of Crosby (on his old account ), Couturier, and MacKinnon on here.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Alex Forsberg, John McFarland, etc. Were the same. It isn't only Maritimes.

FWIW Noel isn't a maritime since NL is not a Maritime province.

Scoutman has also identified the likes of Crosby (on his old account ), Couturier, and MacKinnon on here.

I know well enough, I've been here a while.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

just to name a few on here....every league has their guy who never turns out, it is about recognizing them early, if someone is at a bantam game with lawrenece playing i personally would like to know "hey this kid is suppose to be good lets see what he is like" then if he turns out you can say "hey I saw him in bantam" if not then just rack it up to another player that never turned out. In the end most players do not turn out because of something they do wrong such as Steve Anthony (attitude he thought he was better than everyone else, his compete level as pretty bad and lost some serious years in training hard), Patrice Cormier (his hockey sense in higher levels was evident when he made higher leagues and caused him to not turn out), Nathan Noel (size for style of game is his downfall), Luc Deschene has 0 compete level and 0 training hard off the ice, kind of lazy on the ice, skill level up the yang...anything can happen but right now as of this clip in time this kid looks like he has something.

here is just a few players over hyped that never really turned out.
USA:
Jim O'Brien
Phil McRae
Carter Camper
Robbie Schremp
Shane McClogan
Nathan Llewelyn

WHL:
Alex Forsberg
Gilbert Brule
Ryan Kerr
Dan Bertram

OHL:
John McFarland
Patrick Jarrett
Jack Hughes
Wes O'Neil
Chris Lawrence
Brian Finley
Chase Balisey
Daniel Catenaccie
Mitchell Davis
Devereaux Heshmatpor

Quebec:
JP Paquette
Romy Elyoubie
Philippe Venne
Angelo Esposito
Luca Ciampini

Europe:
Maxim Kitsyn
Toni Rajala
Anton Babchuk
Vitalli Anikeenko
Dmitri Kazanov
Stanislav Chistov

then you have the other end of the spectrum such as Claude Giroux passed over in two straight OHL drafts to come to Gatineau to be a 1st round NHL pick and NHL superstar (how does that happen), Paul Byron passed over by OHL teams to come to QMJHL.

Nothing is perfect when dealing with young players, never will be, just have to make the best guess

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
just to name a few on here....every league has their guy who never turns out, it is about recognizing them early, if someone is at a bantam game with lawrenece playing i personally would like to know "hey this kid is suppose to be good lets see what he is like" then if he turns out you can say "hey I saw him in bantam" if not then just rack it up to another player that never turned out. In the end most players do not turn out because of something they do wrong such as Steve Anthony (attitude he thought he was better than everyone else, his compete level as pretty bad and lost some serious years in training hard), Patrice Cormier (his hockey sense in higher levels was evident when he made higher leagues and caused him to not turn out), Nathan Noel (size for style of game is his downfall), Luc Deschene has 0 compete level and 0 training hard off the ice, kind of lazy on the ice, skill level up the yang...anything can happen but right now as of this clip in time this kid looks like he has something.

USA:
Jim O'Brien
Phil McRae
Carter Camper
Robbie Schremp
Shane McClogan
Nathan Llewelyn

WHL:
Alex Forsberg
Gilbert Brule
Ryan Kerr
Dan Bertram

OHL:
John McFarland
Patrick Jarrett
Jack Hughes
Wes O'Neil
Chris Lawrence
Brian Finley
Chase Balisey
Daniel Catenaccie
Mitchell Davis
Devereaux Heshmatpor

Quebec:
JP Paquette
Romy Elyoubie
Philippe Venne
Angelo Esposito
Luca Ciampini

Europe:
Maxim Kitsyn
Toni Rajala
Anton Babchuk
Vitalli Anikeenko
Dmitri Kazanov
Stanislav Chistov

then you have the other end of the spectrum such as Claude Giroux passed over in two straight OHL drafts to come to Gatineau to be a 1st round NHL pick and NHL superstar (how does that happen), Paul Byron passed over by OHL teams to come to QMJHL.

Nothing is perfect when dealing with young players, never will be, just have to make the best guess
Big difference between these guys and the rest, all of them were top 10 picks. Guys like Forsberg and Noel have been passed over in there draft class. A fair amount of these guys failed at the major junior level.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Big difference between these guys and the rest, all of them were top 10 picks. Guys like Forsberg and Noel have been passed over in there draft class. A fair amount of these guys failed at the major junior level.

true they were top 10 picks but for Brule who was suppose to match crosby or be better well that is an epic fail.......my point was at the time they are amazing but a lot of players fall off.......

i would not say any of them really failed....Noel and Forsberg are doing well, Noel is a leader, a little less than a point per game, hard worker and character player but far from what people thought, he did well at Shattuck St Mary's too, but he is far from failing in junior, when all is said and done he will be a university player probably (which is a let down of what people thought though)

buttman*

USA:
Jim O'Brien
Phil McRae
Carter Camper
Robbie Schremp
Shane McClogan
Nathan Llewelyn

WHL:
Alex Forsberg
Gilbert Brule
Ryan Kerr
Dan Bertram

OHL:
John McFarland
Patrick Jarrett
Jack Hughes
Wes O'Neil
Chris Lawrence
Brian Finley
Chase Balisey
Daniel Catenaccie
Mitchell Davis
Devereaux Heshmatpor

Quebec:
JP Paquette
Romy Elyoubie
Philippe Venne
Angelo Esposito
Luca Ciampini

Europe:
Maxim Kitsyn
Toni Rajala
Anton Babchuk
Vitalli Anikeenko
Dmitri Kazanov
Stanislav Chistov

Rico Fata

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Tons of footage of him from the World Selects invite, this past weekend. Clearly the most skilled player in the games I viewed.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Tons of footage of him from the World Selects invite, this past weekend. Clearly the most skilled player in the games I viewed.

Yeah the kid is ridiculous for his age, saw him earlier this year and was extremely impressed with his puck skills and release. Skating and vision are also strengths with the only glaring weakness being size.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Yeah the kid is ridiculous for his age, saw him earlier this year and was extremely impressed with his puck skills and release. Skating and vision are also strengths with the only glaring weakness being size.

Will be interested to see if he grows. Looks about 5'6 or 5'7 on the ice.

Speaking of New Brunswick prospects...What the hell is in the water? I just finished watching a World Selects 03 game with a kid named Peter Reynolds(Too young to bother making a thread for) and he also looked super impressive.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014

Speaking of New Brunswick prospects...What the hell is in the water? I just finished watching a World Selects 03 game with a kid named Peter Reynolds(Too young to bother making a thread for) and he also looked super impressive.

Irving gasloline?? aha, I'm not sure we can really say anything about NB producing players yet since there are about 2-3 guys in the league right now from there and most top guys from there have not lived up to the hype. Patrice Cormier has really busted, Zach Phillips failed to make the NHL so far and Guys like Devon MacAusland and Luc Deschenes didn't even get drafted after receiving much attention in the minor hockey ranks. Sean Couturier is really the only player to live up to his billing to come out of NB in recent memory (not including Beaulieu who played his later years of Minor hockey there).

I do hope Lawrence continues to impress though, and I have not heard of Reynolds but for me it is never too early to keep an eye out for players.

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009

It's not water. Nothing but flats of Schooners.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Irving gasloline?? aha, I'm not sure we can really say anything about NB producing players yet since there are about 2-3 guys in the league right now from there and most top guys from there have not lived up to the hype. Patrice Cormier has really busted, Zach Phillips failed to make the NHL so far and Guys like Devon MacAusland and Luc Deschenes didn't even get drafted after receiving much attention in the minor hockey ranks. Sean Couturier is really the only player to live up to his billing to come out of NB in recent memory (not including Beaulieu who played his later years of Minor hockey there).

I do hope Lawrence continues to impress though, and I have not heard of Reynolds but for me it is never too early to keep an eye out for players.

Luc Bourdon, RIP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad