F Jayson Shaugabay - Warroad High School, USHS-MN (2023, 115th, TBL)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought Shaugabay was the best player on the US Select Team at the recent U17 tournament in Switzerland. Extremely skilled player. Skates very well, tries to dangle players on every shift. Can pass or shoot. Scored an incredible goal from below the goal line where he banked it off the goalie. I would say that his talent is that of a first round pick, and potentially a high first round pick.

I will list him as a forward because EP seems to think he's a center. I saw him play as a winger. I don't have enough information to say if EP's listing is accurate. He's listed at 5'10 165, which looks accurate. These types of players often end up moving off of center or not being the best two-way players, so even if he has played center before, I think there will probably still be questions if he has the two-way game for the position.

Jayson Shaugabay at eliteprospects.com

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Still plays like he's playing pond hockey. Obviously some of that will get taken out of his game as he gets to higher levels but he's a really fun player to watch. Should have a huge year numbers-wise for Warroad.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How is he playing this season? It looks like he’s a Minnesota-Duluth recruit. Hess’s a huge recruit for them to get. Normally they get a lot of grinders and older players, not that many NHL prospects.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site

I did an HF and google search and couldn't find a thread on him (surprisingly).

Shaugabay was this year's Mr. Hockey award winner for the top High School player in the US.

I was really impressed with his play in the USHL at the end of the year, he's such a high-level playmaker. His control with his backhand is top-end, he looks better on his backhand than most players do on their forehand. And his vision and ability to see the openings his opponents give him is elite. He's got a lot of room to improve in other areas, but having some elite tools helps.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

one of the biggest sleepers in this class imo

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like him. Looks bigger than his listed 5'9", as opposed to the players who are listed at 5'9" are an inch or two less.
Decent middle round pick.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
One of my favorite players in this draft. I 100% believe he goes so much higher than if he played at a higher level this season than Minnesota High School Hockey. Only has himself to blame for that, but this guy has crazy skill. I feel like teams wouldn't have been able to resist taking him any later than around where Perron went if he played a full year in the USHL.

He had one of the best assists you'll ever see at any level of hockey for the OT winner in the State Semi-Final. Complete video-game type stuff. Undressed the defense and then passes a guy cross-ice open for a tap-in.

Here's the assist at :59

Sadly, Warroad lost in the final

My scouting report from his USHL season.

Has unbelievable puck skills. Can pull the puck through defenders and creates space for himself because his hands are so fast that players know that unless he’s coming towards them at speed where the puck is coming closer to them, they can’t really reach in and take the puck from him. Elite playmaker and very good sense. Good or better skater for an undersized forward. He doesn’t shoot enough, and part of that is because he’s very perimeter. Doesn’t go to the middle. He shoots the puck well enough, but is one of those players that will always look to pass instead of shoot. He’s definitely small, only 5’9, and while I wouldn’t say he’s incredibly weak for 5’9 or a low-effort defensive player, he’s going to provide minimal defensive value. It’s not his game. I think he’s a first rounder because he could be one of those players that is the most skilled player on an NHL team, if it all comes together, but there are some things about his game that he needs to work on to hit his potential.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
5’9 player with average USHL production. We’ll see, I wouldn’t have drafted him though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
5’9 player with average USHL production. We’ll see, I wouldn’t have drafted him though.
I get his USHL production wasn't as good as it could be for such a skilled player, but I think it's easy to underestimate how hard it is to do that type of routine where you start the season in the USHL for a month or two, go back to your high school team, and then jump into potentially a playoff race.

First of all, it's hard to build chemistry with teammates when you come and then leave and then come back. You are probably also uprooted constantly with finishing your schooling as a high school senior, and maybe have to change schools midyear. Then there's also the fact that you don't really have any control over what happens with the USHL team when you're away. If they found someone to fill your spot, you're probably starting lower down the lineup when you return. Maybe you've lost your PP spot too. Some have no trouble with that adjustment. A guy like Gavyn Thoreson did great and had no problems with it, and I love Thoreson's game, but Shaugabay's a better NHL prospect. He just didn't transition as well doing the back and forth routine this year. There could be many reasons for it that aren't simply pure hockey ability.

Well see, as you say, but I think with a full USHL season where he's not preoccupied with also playing Minnesota High School hockey in the middle of it, we'll see better than 16 points in 27 games. I think he'll be above 1PPG next season.

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
No comment on his talent level, but I will say that he has a rep as a grade a kid around the Warroad/Roseau area

TJJefferson

Jun 7, 2019
America needs better development for highschool kids.

He should have something better than having to go back and forth to the USHL and his HS team.

• Haha
Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
America needs better development for highschool kids.

He should have something better than having to go back and forth to the USHL and his HS team.
MN HS to NCAA is a fine development route.

That's why you see so many Minnesotans play HS and graduate with their friends and try to win a state title in front of 18k fans.

Otherwise you can play your senior year in the USHL. The comment doesn't make sense. American kids have good options.

Reactions: 57special

TJJefferson

Jun 7, 2019
MN HS to NCAA is a fine development route.

That's why you see so many Minnesotans play HS and graduate with their friends and try to win a state title in front of 18k fans.

Otherwise you can play your senior year in the USHL. The comment doesn't make sense. American kids have good options.

You don't have to get defensive. The options could be more convenient and accessible, there's no denying that.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
The options exist. The best MN high school players should just not play high school hockey beyond their sophomore seasons. I know MN-HS hockey fans won't like it but it's true.
There were only like 10 non-NTDP 2006s in the USHL full time this year. If you make the NTDP, definitely go for your junior and senior years. Otherwise, I don't see a problem with playing junior year in MN HS and then a full year in the USHL before college. But if your team will compete for a state championship, it's alright to stay and enjoy that last year with your friends you've played with your whole life.

If you're good enough you're going to make it no matter what your path is.

Obviously some of these guys are a bit older, but the top ten MN point producers this season:
Nelson - Played senior year MN HS
Mittelstadt - Played senior year MN HS
Boeser - Played junior year MN HS
Wheeler - Played junior year MN HS
Faulk - NTDP after soph year
Lee - Played senior year MN HS
Miller - NTDP after soph year
Novak - Played junior year MN HS
Cates - Played junior year MN HS
Skjei - NTDP after soph year

I see a theme.

Forgot Guentzel cuz he wasn't born in MN but is obviously Minnesotan. Played junior year MN HS.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
There were only like 10 non-NTDP 2006s in the USHL full time this year. If you make the NTDP, definitely go for your junior and senior years. Otherwise, I don't see a problem with playing junior year in MN HS and then a full year in the USHL before college. But if your team will compete for a state championship, it's alright to stay and enjoy that last year with your friends you've played with your whole life.

If you're good enough you're going to make it no matter what your path is.

Obviously some of these guys are a bit older, but the top ten MN point producers this season:
Nelson - Played senior year MN HS
Mittelstadt - Played senior year MN HS
Boeser - Played junior year MN HS
Wheeler - Played junior year MN HS
Faulk - NTDP after soph year
Lee - Played senior year MN HS
Miller - NTDP after soph year
Novak - Played junior year MN HS
Cates - Played junior year MN HS
Skjei - NTDP after soph year

I see a theme.

Yes, and part of the reason there are not more U17 players in the USHL is because players from the most rabid hockey state in the country don't bother with the USHL at that age unless they decide to go to the NTDP.

I didn't say all MN-HS players should leave after their sophomore seasons. Just the best.

It's a bit silly to pretend that your path doesn't impact your outcome, good, bad, or otherwise. Of course none of us can prove a correct path for a given player. But maybe outside of the true outliers (i.e., McDavid) your path is most definitely going to impact whether you make it, and if you do make it, your quality as a player, too.

Yes, the theme is it's not surprising that a lot of the top NHL point producers from Minnesota played beyond their sophomore years. The vast majority of those guys turned down the NTDP because the vast majority of Minnesotans don't leave Minnesota early, if at all. Maybe that's the reason that list of Minnesotans isn't as impressive as you'd hope from our top hockey state?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You don't have to get defensive. The options could be more convenient and accessible, there's no denying that.
You can go the CHL, or a prep school, or USHL full time.

Nothing wrong with staying home, playing for your school, while playing USHL on either end of the HS season, as well as playing in an Elite league during the summer.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm as big of a Shaugabay fan as anyone, and I think he's totally to blame.

As @William H Bonney said, Shaugabay should've played a full season in the USHL, if he wanted to go higher. 27 games against real competition for a 5'9 forward is not going to get you drafted very high. That he even got drafted with that profile speaks to how talented he is.

On the other hand, I kind of understand his decision. I think Warroad lost in the State Final at least once and maybe it was even twice in his first three years playing for the team. He probably felt there was unfinished business, so I get it. Only guessing, but I assume it was important to him that he be able to play with his friends from home growing up one last time. His life is going to likely diverge a lot from those guys in the coming years. Not for us to tell him what his life priorities should be. I respect his decision, even if I acknowledge he's completely to blame for why he went where he did. Sure, you'd like NHL teams to have some more foresight and just draft on ability and not exposure, but we know how it is.

Sad thing is they lost in the State Final again, so the reason why he likely went back for another year at Warroad ended up happening again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad