LW Jan Mysak - Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL (2020, 48th, MTL, traded to ANA)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I decided to go watch him play today, had been hearing good things so I made the way over from Bratislava. Man o man is this kid talented. I’ve never quite seen a 16 year old player who plays with such great consistency from shift to shift. He does so many things right on the ice. Add to the fact he does this in the top men’s league. He should be considered a potential top 5 pick in 2020.

If he gets icetime then best option for him would be to stay in Czech instead of moving , familiar surroundings, friends, family, and playing in the countries top mens league would be better than junior.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
He wore the C in today’s game. A 16 year old captain, now that’s a sight lol :laugh::)
Was the youngest C in Extraliga history. It was just for one game since their usual captain was injured, but still - they wouldn't have given it to the kid if he hadn't earned it with his excellent play.

5+4 in six Relegation games; leading all the Extraliga guys from the four clubs that played in the mini-tournament. At sixteen, that's really impressive. Played big minutes too - 22 and 19 minutes in the past two games, which is essentially unheard of for a kid this young in Extraliga. Really can't wait to see how he does next season.

Reactions: mattihp

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
Was the youngest C in Extraliga history. It was just for one game since their usual captain was injured, but still - they wouldn't have given it to the kid if he hadn't earned it with his excellent play.

5+4 in six Relegation games; leading all the Extraliga guys from the four clubs that played in the mini-tournament. At sixteen, that's really impressive. Played big minutes too - 22 and 19 minutes in the past two games, which is essentially unheard of for a kid this young in Extraliga. Really can't wait to see how he does next season.

Excellent. I hope he can get into the U18 squad for the next world championship. I haven't seen him yet but already heard much about him..

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Is he playing with Hamilton next season or is he already committed to HC Litvinov?

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Starting the season with Litvinov but if he will not get enough TOI there he would move to Hamilton.
At the end of the season, he always played on their first two lines (either as a center or at wing); he had the biggest minutes of all Litvinov's forwards in the relegation games. It also helps him that Litvinov sucks. Unless he gets injured or his game somehow falls off the cliff, he's getting all the ice-time he can handle IMO.

Last edited:

Renmar

Nov 23, 2018
Krnov
Litvinov played first pre season game against Spartak Moscov. They lost 2:1, Mysak got assist.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Not that the Czech team was great but was Mysak as underwhelming at Hlinka as his numbers looked? Bednar in net too to be fair...really looked like a dud performance from the two hyped Czech ‘02’s.

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
Been saying this for a while but Mysak is an electric offensive talent. The lack of talent at Litvinov helps, but I genuinely think we’re talking about a potential top 3 pick in 2020. I have him ranked #4.
It'll be tough to usurp Lafreniere, Byfield, and Raymond, but #20 is incredibly low per Hockeyprospects.com

Babula

May 31, 2012
51AD+-abv2L._SX343_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
1st Extraliga game of the season, centered 3rd line, played both PP and PK, scored the GWG in a 2-1. (Not much to see there except my team playing horrible defence, but oh well...)

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Babula

May 31, 2012
It is a little bit surprise but this is not the first time when some player is underrated..
On the other side I would not get this list too serious.

exactly. It is not too serious. For example Pavel Novak (Kelowna Rockets) is the top scorer with rookie status of the WHL at the moment... And he is not even on this list...

czechgame

Mar 16, 2019
I tried to dig into this. FWIW, Vopat was part of the Gretzky trade to STL as a prospect and is born in Litvinov and played his junior hockey there.

Strong words from Vopat. I don’t agree with him, Litvinov’s offense is poor, but that’s not Mysak’s fault. He’s 17 year old kid, so he has ups and downs but he definitely deserves to play. Why so many young players leaving Czech Republic to play somewhere else? Because there are lot of people with opinions like this. If we want to let good young players grow, they have to play these situations.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Strong words from Vopat. I don’t agree with him, Litvinov’s offense is poor, but that’s not Mysak’s fault. He’s 17 year old kid, so he has ups and downs but he definitely deserves to play. Why so many young players leaving Czech Republic to play somewhere else? Because there are lot of people with opinions like this. If we want to let good young players grow, they have to play these situations.

I agree with you. While I won’t doubt Vopat’s connections and respect his opinion, I don’t think his “work ethic” on the ice comes across as lazy. He simply doesn’t engage in puck battles that often, but he spends a ton of time covering up for guys that do and has breakouts because of his positioning. But a “C” grade? I guess there’s more to it. Hopefully he rips up some tournaments to balance it out.

Very odd scenario IMO.

czechgame

Mar 16, 2019
I agree with you. While I won’t doubt Vopat’s connections and respect his opinion, I don’t think his “work ethic” on the ice comes across as lazy. He simply doesn’t engage in puck battles that often, but he spends a ton of time covering up for guys that do and has breakouts because of his positioning. But a “C” grade? I guess there’s more to it. Hopefully he rips up some tournaments to balance it out.

Very odd scenario IMO.

And Vopat is getting angry now...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->