F Jakub Lauko - Chomutov, CZE (2018, 77th, BOS)

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
Funny curiosity: "Jakob Lauko" means "Jakub took a shot" in Finnish (well in spoken Finnish). Funny in hockey context anyway.

He said in an interview that people often ask him whether he has Finnish origins (he doesn't). His friends call him "Laukanen".

Anyway, he's an interesting player for sure. Quick and agile, can shoot. I hope he gets a decent icetime in Extraliga this year but Vladimír Růžička has a good record with teenage players.

Caddy

Mar 4, 2016
Vancouver
Always difficult to judge prospects who spend more than half of their season playing on a team that gives them less than 5m of TOI per game (129:29 in 28 games according to the leagues official stats page).

He was drafted by Rouyn-Noranda in the import draft, it seems to me that it would be better for his development to come over to the Q and play significant minutes against junior competition. I know the Czech guys probably won't like that, but I can't see how playing that little actual hockey is good for a player at this point. If not then hopefully he gets some actual usage in the Extraliga.

As far as I can tell though he's got some real potential to be a top 20 pick in 2018. There's a lot of unknowns about him at this point but he's got the opportunity to turn some heads. Definitely one of the major wild-cards of the 2018 draft at this point.

Babula

May 31, 2012
^^^
Just as a diamond can be ground by a sheltered workshop.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He was drafted by Rouyn-Noranda in the import draft, it seems to me that it would be better for his development to come over to the Q and play significant minutes against junior competition. I know the Czech guys probably won't like that, but I can't see how playing that little actual hockey is good for a player at this point. If not then hopefully he gets some actual usage in the Extraliga.

Sounds like that's not gonna happen, via his twitter account...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Kid has skill. First goal was very Datsyuk-like.

Last edited:

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Very intrigued by Lauko, any chance he goes in the first round? Depending on who’s still available I wouldn’t mind him being the Sharks pick at 21

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He was atrocious in the world Juniors. Tried a bunch of moves but had 0 puck control to pull it off. Skating into traffic and putting himself into bad positions.

Where he went is definitely appropriate as he has talents but I had him as a No draft because the brain and ability to do what he wants just don't cooperate.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
He was atrocious in the world Juniors. Tried a bunch of moves but had 0 puck control to pull it off. Skating into traffic and putting himself into bad positions.

Where he went is definitely appropriate as he has talents but I had him as a No draft because the brain and ability to do what he wants just don't cooperate.
I will say that I am also not sure whether he is smart enough to produce in top 6 role, but to have him as a no draft because of U20 WJC is silly. Fact he even made the team as an underager is impressive. He was bad in the first few games, but got better as the tournament progressed.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Speed alone can get you to that NHL. Though he may only turn out something similar to Sekac. Worth the try in the 3rd round IMO.

Seems like I was pretty high on the Czech this year, I had most of them ranked higher than they went, and very surprised about some of the undrafted ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I will say that I am also not sure whether he is smart enough to produce in top 6 role, but to have him as a no draft because of U20 WJC is silly. Fact he even made the team as an underager is impressive. He was bad in the first few games, but got better as the tournament progressed.

Not solely because of the WJ20, that was my first look at him and when I saw him later it was much the same.

Plasek is a guy I thought should have been drafted out of Czech leagues. Skilled, good speed. Could be a utility type who chips in offense.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Not solely because of the WJ20, that was my first look at him and when I saw him later it was much the same.

Plasek is a guy I thought should have been drafted out of Czech leagues. Skilled, good speed. Could be a utility type who chips in offense.
Plasek would have been a decent late round pick for any team, but Lauko is much better prospect than him. Even if he turns out to be dumb as a rock with consistency problems, he has tools that should secure him a place in good professional leagues. Plasek doesn't have those tools. But I suppose we just have diametrically different opinion on Lauko, which is fine obviously.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Plasek would have been a decent late round pick for any team, but Lauko is much better prospect than him. Even if he turns out to be dumb as a rock with consistency problems, he has tools that should secure him a place in good professional leagues. Plasek doesn't have those tools. But I suppose we just have diametrically different opinion on Lauko, which is fine obviously.

And I should clarify that I had him as a no draft relative to where he was believed to be selected (second round) and if I was making a list, he would be well ahead of Plasek. In the third round, you gamble on tools all day and Lauko has them. Plasek is more of a late round pick trying to grab a guy who has some qualities which could translate into an effective role player.

Reactions: Wooren

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Jakob Lauko is fast, very fast. Keep in mind this looks like European ice, which is 15 feet bigger then NHL ice. I did not see an official time but the video starts out exactly at zero and ends at 14 seconds. Minus the 15 feet take away at the very least a second and well McDavid did 13.45 last year. If he makes it to the show in a few years, this speed will be even more impressive when he gets stronger. I think we just witnessed a sub 13 second skate here. I stopped it as his foot hit the red line at 13.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad