F Ivan Miroshnichenko (2022, 20th, WSH)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I saw them all three playing with Russia U 16... And if I can agree with you that it seems that Michkov seems to have a similar impact, even if they are two completely different players. But Miro does not belong in that group, he is clearly inferior. When you see Svech playing, you see the talent.... He is dangerous..in almost everything he does in the offensive zone... But that's just an opinion. I can be wrong of course and I wish Miro all the best in the US

Miroshnichenko's shot is already on pro level, and he's just 16. He's a good skater as well. He plays physical enough game to get used to NA hockey without problems... at least, in my opinion. What he can lose, is game thinking. Russian and NA systems are still different, and it's always better to learn one style first and then morph it into NHL game, than learning another one without finishing learning previous.

Last edited:

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
Miroshnichenko's shot is already on pro level, and he's just 16. He's a good skater as well. He plays physical enough game to get used to NA hockey without problems... at least, in my opinion. What he can lose, is game thinking. Russian and NA systems are still different, and it's always better to learn one style first and then morph it into NHL game, than learning another one without finishing learning previous.
I agree with you. He should develop in Russia at least till 18/19 may be even more. He should play at 18 at least 1 year in the khl and show what he vcan do and only then go. Skill and fast game thinking is sets apart Russian players.....he should put his focus on that. Not everybody is mature like Svech. He went to Na at 16 but never stopped working on his skills and skating on a daily basis. I don't know if Miro has the same attitude I hope so:)

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I agree with you. He should develop in Russia at least till 18/19 may be even more. He should play at 18 at least 1 year in the khl and show what he vcan do and only then go. Skill and fast game thinking is sets apart Russian players.....he should put his focus on that. Not everybody is mature like Svech. He went to Na at 16 but never stopped working on his skills and skating on a daily basis. I don't know if Miro has the same attitude I hope so:)

Well, I think, he can replicate Andrei Svechnikov's path and success, but still think he had to try to make the KHL as early as possible. He could make the league at age 17. On the other hand, he was in Vityaz system, and Vityaz depends heavily on Gazprom money, and Gazprom is the owner of SKA, so people call Vityaz a SKA farm club, and it looks like SKA wanted Miroshnichenko really badly. I doubt, he could have made SKA roster as 17 year old, though, and with out it his chances for a high NHL draft pick would be slim.

Of course, he could play for Vityaz... or not. Anyway, he made his choice now. The main thing, that worries me, is, when the USHL season starts. Will it even start this year? If not, it's like 9 months without hockey for a 16 year old, it can hit his development really hard.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Michkov is probably closer to Panarin by his style. There is a hope, he's going to be even better, than Artemii, though.
LOL Michkov is by far a more talented and touted prospect than Panarin ever was at that age. He should be aiming way higher.

Reactions: JotAlan

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Michkov-Miroshnichenko are the new Datsyuk-Kovalchuk?
It's not a fitting comparison. Datsyuk was a late bloomer and Michkov should be rated higher than Kovalchuk at the same age. Right now Michkov is pulverising past junior performances. But we all know prospects aren't a sure thing. If Michkov can stay close to that projected curve he could end up the next Ovechkin type of player.

Reactions: JotAlan

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Michkov reminds me most of Kucherov.

While Kucherov wasn't drafted high in the NHL draft, it was at the height of when Russian players were being underrated by NHL teams with where they were being drafted, so that hurt his draft stock. And then there's also that NHL teams whiffed on their evaluation. He was unbelievable his whole junior career in Russia and for Russia in international competitions. I don't think Michkov is that much of a step up in terms of his current ability compared to Kucherov at the same age. He might have a lot more hype, but a lot more hype doesn't equal a lot more ability. It only means that Michkov is being properly evaluated now in a way that Kucherov wasn't by the NA hockey media.

But this is a Miroshnichenko thread. I think Miroshnichenko has a more exciting skill-set. There is some Kovalchuk in his game. Michkov is incredibly skilled with an elite IQ, great edge work, incredible scoring ability with passing and playmaking. Michkov is almost too good offensively already and has too good of a hockey sense to not turn into a good player, but Miroshnichenko's ceiling might be higher and he might be more exciting due to his size/skating/shot advantage on Michkov, along with also the chance to be above average in all the other main categories. I suspect Michkov ends up the better player, but I think Miroshnichenko will be better if he hits his ceiling.

Last edited:

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
LOL Michkov is by far a more talented and touted prospect than Panarin ever was at that age. He should be aiming way higher.
How much higher can you realistically go? How many players a year are drafted that are better than Panarin? Not many. Aiming way higher seems really unrealistic. I know Michov is a good prospect, though. Does anyone think he can reach generational status?

Reactions: 13 others

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
How much higher can you realistically go? How many players a year are drafted that are better than Panarin? Not many. Aiming way higher seems really unrealistic. I know Michov is a good prospect, though. Does anyone think he can reach generational status?
Based on his performance so far generational is exactly the ceiling he could hit. His number pre-MHL are exactly in that area. Very few prospects ever had comparable numbers. Likes of Ovechkin. He has yet to play in the MHL let alone any hockey close to pro level, so we are well aware his development is still a very long path and could go either way. It is the evaluation of what we have whitnessed so far.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Idiot. Blacklisted.

And in related news the suns rises in the east.

At least you are consistent in your views on Russian prospects.

But we can all see how Andrei Svechnikov did with coming to the USHL and it's working out just fine.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

But we can all see how Andrei Svechnikov did with coming to the USHL and it's working out just fine.

Yeah, but it looks like he's the only Russian forward for who it's worked out just fine...

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Look at John Doe who's hit the jackpot in lottery. Lottery seems like a pretty good investment strategy.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I am talking about one guy being successful out of 1000 does not mean it's a good path for 1000 guys.

Funny that I haven't notice the 1000 Russians who have come over before their draft years to play in the USHL eh.

Frankly I wonder if there are even more than a couple of handfulls of top elite prospects that have done so but of course every failed one would have been elite had their stayed in the Russian system right.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Funny that I haven't notice the 1000 Russians who have come over before their draft years to play in the USHL eh.

Frankly I wonder if there are even more than a couple of handfulls of top elite prospects that have done so but of course every failed one would have been elite had their stayed in the Russian system right.
If you split hairs then we might start comparing diffèrent USHL teams. It's obvious that for russian prospects NA is the big deal, not the junior league they join. It's staying put with your home team and system vs. foreigb country, hockey system and so on.

Historically Russians who stay - win, Russians who go - lose. It is even true for A.Svechnikov who could have developed into a better player at home. His brother is a perfect example too.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If you split hairs then we might start comparing diffèrent USHL teams. It's obvious that for russian prospects NA is the big deal, not the junior league they join. It's staying put with your home team and system vs. foreigb country, hockey system and so on.

Historically Russians who stay - win, Russians who go - lose. It is even true for A.Svechnikov who could have developed into a better player at home. His brother is a perfect example too.

Your historic reference is actually funny as 1000s of Russian prospects stay then when one emerges as a late bloomer you cite it as proof of something.

No it is not true it is your opinion which is always interjected in every Russian prospect thread that the best choice is always for the player to stay in Russia.

Anyone with a 100% view or opinion needs to be questioned as the world is never black and white and the path for prospects is not just one way.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Your historic reference is actually funny as 1000s of Russian prospects stay then when one emerges as a late bloomer you cite it as proof of something.

No it is not true it is your opinion which is always interjected in every Russian prospect thread that the best choice is always for the player to stay in Russia.

Anyone with a 100% view or opinion needs to be questioned as the world is never black and white and the path for prospects is not just one way.
It's not about 1000s who stay. It's about the ones who get selected to the NT, even are considered the leaders of thoe NTs, then go to NA and vanish in the haze. While guys like Panarin, who did play a role on the junior NT, but stayed in Russia(in Panarin's case maybe because NHL's scouts were idiots and would not even bother drafting him) and then become NHL stars. We are not talking about 100s of players who were never godd to begin with. We are talimg about the Goldobins and Scherbaks and Yakupovs. There tons of them.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It's not about 1000s who stay. It's about the ones who get selected to the NT, even are considered the leaders of thoe NTs, then go to NA and vanish in the haze. While guys like Panarin, who did play a role on the junior NT, but stayed in Russia(in Panarin's case maybe because NHL's scouts were idiots and would not even bother drafting him) and then become NHL stars. We are not talking about 100s of players who were never godd to begin with. We are talimg about the Goldobins and Scherbaks and Yakupovs. There tons of them.

What are you even talking about Goldobins only joined the National team after playing in NA and his issues are motivation. Okay he did play in one tournament the Hlinka and here is thaat team.

Russia U18 at eliteprospects.com

If we look at the National team he did play on it is not like the guys who did not come to NA became superstars either.

This is what you are missing, is that most prospects do not reach their potential no matter where they develop.

Citing one guy who does make it, in Panarin, does not change that fact.

Andrei Svechnikov BTW is a budding superstar and Rod Brind'Amour is helping to develop him very nicely.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
This poster’s ludicrous Svechnikov development take has been repeated several times on these boards. Don’t let it ruffle your feathers. Kid is turning into one of the game’s best players through North American development and everyone knows it. Doesn’t mean he couldn’t have achieved the same in Russia with the right support.

Miroshnichenko is an incredible talent and will likely be a top 5 pick in the draft. I think he stays overseas.

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad