F Frank Nazar - Michigan Wolverines, NCAA (2022, 13th, CHI)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A Clayton Keller would be easily worth a top 15 pick No? I think you are underselling him a bit. He will most likely be a top 10 pick.

Thats not what I said. I said this.

I could see something around a Clayton Keller upside, if everything goes right.

Upside does not equal the projected outcome. There are plenty of players picked late first/early second that have the upside of a good first line winger.

And I fully acknowledge my opinion is probably in the minority. Don't take my opinion as anything other than my own opinion. If you think he's a top ten pick, I hope you're right. I just don't see it.

The way I view it, you have an undersized player who is a good skater, but average for his size. He has size issues (most sources I see list him at 5'9 right now). He's played some center, but he absolutely does not look likely to stick at the position, in my opinion. He looks like a natural winger. And it's not like his stats are that tremendous. He's fourth on the team in PPG, 4th in total points, 4th in SOG. He's a good player, but not exactly dominating.

Also keep in mind that we are talking about what's projected as a very good draft. A top 10 caliber pick in 2022 might very well be a top 5 caliber pick in 2021.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Thats not what I said. I said this.

Upside does not equal the projected outcome. There are plenty of players picked late first/early second that have the upside of a good first line winger.

And I fully acknowledge my opinion is probably in the minority. Don't take my opinion as anything other than my own opinion. If you think he's a top ten pick, I hope you're right. I just don't see it.

The way I view it, you have an undersized player who is a good skater, but average for his size. He has size issues (most sources I see list him at 5'9 right now). He's played some center, but he absolutely does not look likely to stick at the position, in my opinion. He looks like a natural winger. And it's not like his stats are that tremendous. He's fourth on the team in PPG, 4th in total points, 4th in SOG. He's a good player, but not exactly dominating.

Also keep in mind that we are talking about what's projected as a very good draft. A top 10 caliber pick in 2022 might very well be a top 5 caliber pick in 2021.
He is playing on a stacked team. The 2004s rival the 2001s in terms of talent and I think they could be legendary in five years. Being fourth-best on that team is nothing to sneeze at -- and like you said, 2022 is a deep draft with some generational talent near the top.

Reactions: Luc Poitras

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax

Someone (not me) put this together and I feel like it's a good enough highlight compilation worth sharing.

If you don't follow the NTDP pretty closely you might not have seen much of Nazar yet, and this gives a decent impression of what he brings.

There are several great highlights in that reel that show his elite skating and hands. Wow, what an exciting player he is going to be.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Now listed at 5’11. Should help his draft stock. Last season his listing was 5’9.

Lol the mysterious case of the growing and shrinking Nazar. EP had him at 5'10 a year ago, then bumped him down to 5'9, now they have him back at 5'10. I think he got his hands on some of that cake from Alice in Wonderland.

He is playing on a stacked team. The 2004s rival the 2001s in terms of talent and I think they could be legendary in five years. Being fourth-best on that team is nothing to sneeze at -- and like you said, 2022 is a deep draft with some generational talent near the top.

I do not buy this 4th best narrative. He was second best on the team in p/g in the USHL, which I'm a lot more interested in than what they do in NAHL. And just from watching, I thought he was the best forward on the team - or certainly at least the most dynamic. But I would also say he's maybe the best defensive forward I've seen for this draft so far.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Lol the mysterious case of the growing and shrinking Nazar. EP had him at 5'10 a year ago, then bumped him down to 5'9, now they have him back at 5'10. I think he got his hands on some of that cake from Alice in Wonderland.

I never rely on EP for definitive height and weight -- only stats. I'd refer to the team measurements or in the case of draft eligible players, NHL Central Scouting. They do an independent measurement of all players at the start of each year.

I do not buy this 4th best narrative. He was second best on the team in p/g in the USHL, which I'm a lot more interested in than what they do in NAHL. And just from watching, I thought he was the best forward on the team - or certainly at least the most dynamic. But I would also say he's maybe the best defensive forward I've seen for this draft so far.

I couldn't agree more. I am glad to hear you think he's good defensively. Best I've seen is Shane Wright, so that's good company he's keeping.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Not saying he's the best US player in this draft, but I think he's my favorite US player in this draft.
For me, it's a toss-up between him and Ryan Chesley. I'm also looking forward to seeing what strides Seamus Casey can make this year. Damn, he's fun to watch.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
I never rely on EP for definitive height and weight -- only stats. I'd refer to the team measurements or in the case of draft eligible players, NHL Central Scouting. They do an independent measurement of all players at the start of each year.

Sure, but I wasn't looking for anything definitive. EP is the first resource I come across a player on, and the go-to for general information. I only checked the NTDP site when EP switched him from 5'10 to 5'9, and NTDP had him at 5'9. Just thought it was odd, and made me realize how much a difference 5'9 to 5'10 makes in projecting draft position.

Not saying he's the best US player in this draft, but I think he's my favorite US player in this draft.

For sure. He's right there with Matthew Savoie and Gleb Trikozov as far as players who will lift you out of your seat on a regular basis.

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
EP had him at 5’10 at some point recently, but I’m referring to NTDP measurements, which are much more credible.
NTDP and EP measurements are both identical (179cm).
EP rounded down, NTDP rounded up. 5’10 is probably technically more correct but it’s really inconsequential.

Reactions: Dominance

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Yurov and Kemell have some of that as well, IMO.

Kemell for sure. Yurov, maybe. I've been watching Yurov since his U17s back in 2019, and I'm probably his biggest fan (have him ranked 5th) but for a long time I saw him as a pure meat-and-potatoes kinda player - highly intelligent, sturdy, strong on the puck, rarely loses battles at the junior level, pro-style game. Never found him particularly exciting; not sure if it was just confidence or what, but suddenly in the back half of this past season (plus U18s) he added this dynamic element I hadn't really seen from him. Excited to see where it goes, but he's stuck playing 3 minutes a night for Magnitogorsk for now.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
McGroarty is the best goal scorer of the three right now.

I think he means best forward, and it’s a hard question to answer because each of the three likely have their proponents over the other two. I think it’s likely though that Cooley gets drafted first, and the other two fight it out for second and third.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think he means best forward, and it’s a hard question to answer because each of the three likely have their proponents over the other two. I think it’s likely though that Cooley gets drafted first, and the other two fight it out for second and third.

They've all been up and down to start the year as well, as the whole U18 team has been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->