F Frank Nazar - Michigan Wolverines, NCAA (2022, 13th, CHI)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The 2004’s don’t have a Jack Hughes but there sure seems to be a ton of high end talent. Excited to see how the next USNTDP class shapes up.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
The 2004’s don’t have a Jack Hughes but there sure seems to be a ton of high end talent. Excited to see how the next USNTDP class shapes up.
Nazar, McGroarty, Kaplan, Fleming, and Casey.

Savoie and Wright are on another level, but that’s still scary. Luneau is probably in there, hopefully Dowhaniuk too, but still. My oh my. 2022 looks crazy good right now, without even taking into consideration any Euros.

Reactions: BKarchitect

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Nazar, McGroarty, Kaplan, Fleming, and Casey.

Savoie and Wright are on another level, but that’s still scary. Luneau is probably in there, hopefully Dowhaniuk too, but still. My oh my. 2022 looks crazy good right now, without even taking into consideration any Euros.
Lane Hutson could be the best producer on D we've produced since quinn hughes, especially if he grows. so far out looking like a strong age group

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Very dynamic winger, in my opinion. Can make defenders look silly with the moves he can make with the puck. The way he carries the puck pulls defenders in, and then he pulls the string and brings it back into him. It's fun to watch. Does everything well, from what I saw. Also looked good killing penalties with a good motor around the ice. He's somewhere on that Kane, Marner, Panarin, Raymond, Lysell tree of wingers.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Definitely looks a lot like Mitch Marner out there. Very good skater, carries the puck on a string, and plays with some swagger. Like a lot of players of this ilk, he also makes a lot of high risk plays, but that's not uncommon for those guys. I knew he had a lot of skill but I'm most enthused with his compete level. He battles hard and plays both ends of the ice, which combined with his offensive skillset, means the sky is the limit for him. Has all the tools to be a really high-end prospect.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He's top tier elite. I don't know who the best '04 forward will be, but I don't necessarily buy the arguments that as of now a guy like Savoie is on "another level" than a guy like Nazar. Dynamic skater, dynamic hands, and best of all, he's an intense competitor to go along with his elite skill. His penalty shot goal and the move he had to draw it were fantastic but my favorite play was in the 1st period where he flew back on the back check to catch and absolutely lay out a Canadian in front of the US bench to neutralize an attack.

Last edited:

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Was the best player at the Silver Stick in November. Elite skill set, and his ability to finish is incredible. He must’ve converted on 80-90% of his opportunities. Reminded me of a slightly better Tyler Motte at the same age.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Was the best player at the Silver Stick in November. Elite skill set, and his ability to finish is incredible. He must’ve converted on 80-90% of his opportunities. Reminded me of a slightly better Tyler Motte at the same age.

On the compete level side I think that's fair but skill wise Motte wasn't anywhere close to a guy like Nazar.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
On the compete level side I think that's fair but skill wise Motte wasn't anywhere close to a guy like Nazar.

You’re underrating Motte’s skill set when he was with Honeybaked at the same age. He was dynamite as a U-15 that scored some highlight reel goals, while standing out against the cream of the crop.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
You’re underrating Motte’s skill set when he was with Honeybaked at the same age. He was dynamite as a U-15 that scored some highlight reel goals, while standing out against the cream of the crop.

No, I'm not. No doubt Motte was a very good player at that age and he certainly had skill, but he stood out because he was a great skater with good hockey IQ that gave it everything he had every shift. Skilled no doubt but not a player with elite skill, even at 15, like Nazar has shown.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m going to be the bad guy here and say I don’t love Nazar’s game.

I think he’s a good player. I don’t see how he’s not at least a top 40 pick, and I can see an upside of around top 15.

However, he’s small and I don’t find that his skating is that elite. He can go around some slower players, but his acceleration is good (average/slightly below average for his size). He’s not beating everyone. At this point, he has size/skating questions if you want to look at him as a top tier scoring winger in that Kane/Panarin/Marner/Hughes mold.

He’s played about half and half between winger and center, but barring something unforeseen, he’s not going to be a center. Doesn’t have the playing style for it to begin with. That’s before you get to that he’s small, weak, and not an elite skater. I find it hard to believe he sticks at center. He does not look like a natural center, at all.

To give a little more of a positive spin, I could see something around a Clayton Keller upside, if everything goes right.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nazar is an elite skater and he's not weak.

For his size? I don't think he's an elite skater. He doesn't go right around all players. When you are 5'9, you have to be one of the best. He's good, but at 5'9, there's an extra demand on how good is needed to be as effective offensively at higher levels.

He's listed at 163 pounds. Usually the height/weight measurements are accurate up until each season. Considering a player isn't likely to gain much muscle during the course of a season, I doubt he's much more than 163 pounds.

I guess we'll see. I see him as a little riskier. I don't see the obvious Jack Hughes type of ceiling at this point. To me, I think he's at least a tier or two lower. Still a good player, but I see some question marks about his game.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
There's two things to consider when talking about Nazar's skating and upside.

1) What is his stride like? Is it clean and efficient?
2) What is his leg and core strength like?

If he has a clean stride and room to improve his strength, his skating will take a big leap when he does.

I've only seen video of him, but from what I've seen, he is an efficient skater but his top gear is not the best I've seen.

Having said all of this, I remember watching Sidney Crosby in bantam and seeing a clean stride but a player who lacked explosiveness. He took care of that pretty well by the time he got to the NHL.

Caveat: This is only a comment on projecting skating growth, and I am NOT comparing Nazar to Crosby.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
I’m going to be the bad guy here and say I don’t love Nazar’s game.

I think he’s a good player. I don’t see how he’s not at least a top 40 pick, and I can see an upside of around top 15.

However, he’s small and I don’t find that his skating is that elite. He can go around some slower players, but his acceleration is good (average/slightly below average for his size). He’s not beating everyone. At this point, he has size/skating questions if you want to look at him as a top tier scoring winger in that Kane/Panarin/Marner/Hughes mold.

He’s played about half and half between winger and center, but barring something unforeseen, he’s not going to be a center. Doesn’t have the playing style for it to begin with. That’s before you get to that he’s small, weak, and not an elite skater. I find it hard to believe he sticks at center. He does not look like a natural center, at all.

To give a little more of a positive spin, I could see something around a Clayton Keller upside, if everything goes right.

A Clayton Keller would be easily worth a top 15 pick No? I think you are underselling him a bit. He will most likely be a top 10 pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->