F Filip Zadina (2018, 6th, DET) Part 2

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
... Was a callback to @Claypool 's post where he said, "Poor Hans fans" and I posted this.

giphy.gif

Real question is, what's Habs' fans obsession with Zadina threads?
Cant speak for others, but personally I'm genuinely curious in many many prospects, not just Zadina.

Reactions: Acadien86 and HOPE

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
... Was a callback to @Claypool 's post where he said, "Poor Hans fans" and I posted this.

giphy.gif

Real question is, what's Habs' fans obsession with Zadina threads?

I remember a few Wings fans making fun of our selection right after the draft. By making fun, I'm being very generous, these guys were acting like we handed them the freaking Stanley Cup. I think it is expected to see some Habs fan around here.

That being said, I am a habs fan from the Maritimes. Because of this, I got to see Zadina play quite often and he was the prospect I wanted. I was ok with picking the younger center who just dominated the U18 tho. Zadina still played a good WJC, even though the stat watcher will disagree. He was more complete and stronger on the puck, which were his main weaknesses. Detroit is doing a good job with him.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
“[Filip Zadina is] not ready for the NHL yet,” Griffins Head Coach Ben Simon said. “Inconsistent.... He was phenomenal (in Belleville) and maybe he thought that success would be sustainable by just showing up and relying on his skill...."
Simon loves Zadina’s work ethic and desire for accountability.

“Filip cares; he’s willing to put in the time to learn. There’s no issue there. Every day he comes to the rink to get better. He puts the onus on himself to improve on a daily basis. Because of that, he’ll be successful. It’s just a matter of time to find some consistency and making sure the confidence doesn’t get too low or high... The lows, right now, aren’t as low, and the consistency is a little more level. But there are things we have to continue to harp on. I have to keep reminding people he’s 19.”

Jul 6, 2016
“[Filip Zadina is] not ready for the NHL yet,” Griffins Head Coach Ben Simon said. “Inconsistent.... He was phenomenal (in Belleville) and maybe he thought that success would be sustainable by just showing up and relying on his skill...."
Simon loves Zadina’s work ethic and desire for accountability.

“Filip cares; he’s willing to put in the time to learn. There’s no issue there. Every day he comes to the rink to get better. He puts the onus on himself to improve on a daily basis. Because of that, he’ll be successful. It’s just a matter of time to find some consistency and making sure the confidence doesn’t get too low or high... The lows, right now, aren’t as low, and the consistency is a little more level. But there are things we have to continue to harp on. I have to keep reminding people he’s 19.”

Should had played in Halifax this season.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
There is nothing there to learn, he needs to adapt to the men's league, not the QMJHL

It would seem their two biggest concerns are getting him up to speed physically and rounding out his game. He gains nothing by staying in the Q to rip one timers from the circle and play kids his size or smaller.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Should had played in Halifax this season.
While I'm not exactly thrilled with his production, I feel like these are lessons that he is learning at the AHL level that he would not learn in the Q. He has access to a higher level of coaching and training, and that can only be good for him. At the same time, it isn't as if his production at his age is poor. It just isn't elite, like I was hoping it would be. I'm happy to hear again that he is really dedicated to getting better, because there are some players that would completely close their ears to this kind of coaching.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Can't find last night's goal, but here's the one from two nights ago... His shot is just ridiculous.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Can't find last night's goal, but here's the one from two nights ago... His shot is just ridiculous.

Wow .. this is news. I don't follow him closely but he seemed to get off to a slow start, then picked it up and was really showing lots of flashes, then cooled off ... at least statistically.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Wow .. this is news. I don't follow him closely but he seemed to get off to a slow start, then picked it up and was really showing lots of flashes, then cooled off ... at least statistically.

Since the WJCs his plus minus has pretty much held at -14. Which doesn't sound good, but when you're trending down like that and then come back and hold even, it shows improvement.

And for as much as everybody wants to rip his WJC performance, he was quite obviously a much more well-rounded player. Which was the whole point in sending him to the AHL.

I still think the biggest point in his development this year will be an offseason in the gym. If he puts in the work, I think he'll be in the league next year.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Hes had his ups and downs but despite that his production is still on pace for 26 goals and 50 points over 82 games. For a guy that could still be in junior thats pretty solid overall.

And for young guys in their first AHL seasons, I'm usually more concerned with their last month or 2 anyways. I'll judge his season the most based on how he plays down the stretch here and in playoffs.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I like his confidence with the puck at that level of competition in those highlights. Will need to work on his skating if he wants to be a dominant force in the NHL.

This is part of the reason I'd like to see him workout with Larkin over the summer.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I like his confidence with the puck at that level of competition in those highlights. Will need to work on his skating if he wants to be a dominant force in the NHL.

Yeah that video does go to show how many more points he could have this season. I was thinking that I like that confidence with the puck as well, but I also think that learning when to be cute with it and when to not be is part of the reason hes in the AHL. That decision making would never develop in the QMJHL like it is in the AHL.

I love the way he plays, just needs to put on some muscle. In that video you can see sometimes he gets outmuscled but at least hes trying to make the right plays a lot

Reactions: ProspectsFanatic

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Have they tried Zadina on Right Wing? Lots of his success in Halifax last season was goals and shots from the right side. Could make his shot more deadlier. I personally think he’s still doing well at 19 in a men’s league though maybe you’d expect a little more production for a team that’s third in the league right now. I think the statement “filling nets with pucks” was a little cocky of a quote but doesn’t mean he won’t in the future!

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Have they tried Zadina on Right Wing? Lots of his success in Halifax last season was goals and shots from the right side. Could make his shot more deadlier. I personally think he’s still doing well at 19 in a men’s league though maybe you’d expect a little more production for a team that’s third in the league right now. I think the statement “filling nets with pucks” was a little cocky of a quote but doesn’t mean he won’t in the future!

That's his persona, follow him on his social media accounts. He oozes confidence and is slightly cocky but thats just his character.

Reactions: Coolmcneil

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

I think part of the reason they moved him was to round him out. Everybody knows he can rip it in from the circle, I think they're trying to mold him into more than just a one trick pony.

Reactions: Coolmcneil

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
He’s played both Wings in GR on the top 2 lines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->