F Filip Zadina (2018, 6th, DET) Part 2

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
@NLRAIDERS something tells me you wouldn't actually pick like $7000 and a substantially worse league versus $100,000 + in a much better league and a chance at the NHL just for a CHANCE to win a championship in a junior league :laugh:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
@NLRAIDERS something tells me you wouldn't actually pick like $7000 and a substantially worse league versus $100,000 + in a much better league and a chance at the NHL just for a CHANCE to win a championship in a junior league :laugh:

Not to mention better development against better players making you better so you can make even more money in the NHL.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
How is Filip Zadina a bust? He was the best player available at his selection? Im pretty sure most of the players behind him other then Kravtsov are in lower level leagues like Junior. Hes got 17P in 27GP at 19 in the AHL. Who else would've you taken? Only other better players behind him in my opinion are Evan Bouchard and Kravtsov. Pisses me off when people aren't letting this player develop.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
How is Filip Zadina a bust? He was the best player available at his selection? Im pretty sure most of the players behind him other then Kravtsov are in lower level leagues like Junior. Hes got 17P in 27GP at 19 in the AHL. Who else would've you taken? Only other better players behind him in my opinion are Evan Bouchard and Kravtsov. Pisses me off when people aren't letting this player develop.
It's cool. He's developing well. He's doing everything that's asked of him and is supremely dedicated to mastering his craft. I have no worries about Zadina. We've had to temper our short-term expectations some, but long term he's still going to be great. I wouldn't lose sleep over the trolls. That's all anyone calling him a bust at this point is.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands

Amazing that you can't read sarcasm, the emoji is a clear sign

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Amazing that you can't read sarcasm, the emoji is a clear sign
Sometimes it's hard to take someone seriously when many people do it. I dont find it sarcasm nor funny. Does kind of make sense to use sarcasm when many people thought he was a "Steal" though. Anyways I just personally dont like it but I can see peoples point.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I said it a while ago, but page 1 seems like a good time to reiterate my concerns. And first off, I'll say that I am just a fan voicing my opinion. I am wrong all the time, and I hope I am wrong here.

I didn't even bother looking at him until the Wings drafted him. Since then, I've checked everything available online. CHL shift by shift videos, CHL highlights, red wings prospect games, Griffins highlight videos.

I just don't see the ability that everyone else seems to see in my eye test. Not a great hockey IQ, not great speed, only slightly above average shot, not great defensively, making dangerous plays cutting across the middle. His stats so far on the Griffins seem pretty fake to me. The highlight videos are always too short, but it seems like most of his assists are teammates skating over the blue line and scoring themselves... or some sort of very basic play. Nothing game-breaking that this sort of player needs to have... because things like having by far the worst +/- on the team is very concerning.

Again, I'm just a guy voicing my opinion. I understand that he is young, and I hope that I am wrong, but I just don't see it with him and he has yet to do anything to change my mind, even if his points are decent in the AHL right now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I said it a while ago, but page 1 seems like a good time to reiterate my concerns. And first off, I'll say that I am just a fan voicing my opinion. I am wrong all the time, and I hope I am wrong here.

I didn't even bother looking at him until the Wings drafted him. Since then, I've checked everything available online. CHL shift by shift videos, CHL highlights, red wings prospect games, Griffins highlight videos.

I just don't see the ability that everyone else seems to see in my eye test. Not a great hockey IQ, not great speed, only slightly above average shot, not great defensively, making dangerous plays cutting across the middle. His stats so far on the Griffins seem pretty fake to me. The highlight videos are always too short, but it seems like most of his assists are teammates skating over the blue line and scoring themselves... or some sort of very basic play. Nothing game-breaking that this sort of player needs to have... because things like having by far the worst +/- on the team is very concerning.

Again, I'm just a guy voicing my opinion. I understand that he is young, and I hope that I am wrong, but I just don't see it with him and he has yet to do anything to change my mind, even if his points are decent in the AHL right now.

Slightly above average shot? Not a chance.

Last edited:

Christien

May 1, 2010
I'm still really happy that the Wings decided to take this kid. He seems to be adapting to the AHL really well and I think he's definitely trending upwards in his development. I read an article on The Athletic the other day by Katie Strang and read this quote by Ryan Martin.
“He still has consistency issues; he knows that,” Martin said, “but I cannot recall a player, maybe Tyler Bertuzzi, who has the same want and desire to get better and who wants to be told what to do to get to the next level. He’s the first to acknowledge his mistakes, when he needs more film work, more skill development. He wants to fix it. It’s incredible, his want and desire to get better.”
Seems like a great kid and I expect him to have a big WJC.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Slightly above average shot? Not a chance.
I'm not going to take the time to dig up the videos, but some of my feelings off the top of my head:

-WJC highlight video has plenty of prime one-timer chances that the Junior goalies make look like pretty easy saves.
-Preseason overtime winner against Boston? Doesn't place it under the bar or anything. Sure seems like any NHL player can do the same exact thing in that situation.
-He's had a couple AHL PP goals in the "Ovechkin" area on the opposite side. None of them seem placed particularly well and the goalies seem annoyed that it squeaks through. Do I need to remind you of red wings prospects that have hard one timers without accuracy? And I don't think Zadina shoots as hard as the other guys.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm not going to take the time to dig up the videos, but some of my feelings off the top of my head:

-WJC highlight video has plenty of prime one-timer chances that the Junior goalies make look like pretty easy saves.
-Preseason overtime winner against Boston? Doesn't place it under the bar or anything. Sure seems like any NHL player can do the same exact thing in that situation.
-He's had a couple AHL PP goals in the "Ovechkin" area on the opposite side. None of them seem placed particularly well and the goalies seem annoyed that it squeaks through. Do I need to remind you of red wings prospects that have hard one timers without accuracy? And I don't think Zadina shoots as hard as the other guys.

Make sure you are factoring in that he just turned 19.

If he has an average shot, then so did everyone else in last year’s draft, and so will everyone in this upcoming draft.

I can understand having concerns on his decision making (although I personally don’t) or skating (my # 1 concern).

But for a prospect, he has a plus shot and plus hands all day.

*If you’re just looking at highlights, you’re not going to get the whole picture.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Sometimes it's hard to take someone seriously when many people do it. I dont find it sarcasm nor funny. Does kind of make sense to use sarcasm when many people thought he was a "Steal" though. Anyways I just personally dont like it but I can see peoples point.

Are you new to the boards? This kind of sarcasm has been around forever now.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC
AHL is the 2nd best league in the world and Zadina is having a very productive 19 year old season for that league. He has a wicked shot, great compete level and an elite nose for the net. I'm not worried at all, kid is going to be special.
I think Zadina will be a very good player in the NHL one day, but I don't think the AHL is the second best league in the world.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ty Smith has risen above him, IMO, but anyone saying hes a bust needs to get socked in the chicklets.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Ty Smith has risen above him, IMO, but anyone saying hes a bust needs to get socked in the chicklets.

honestly the very idea of anyone being a "bust" a few months into their d+1 season is pretty laughable

even for someone currently having an awful season like Wahlstrom let alone someone like Zadina

Reactions: hittes petr sykora

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Hottest take in the thread: Zadina has a "Slightly above average shot."

... Even if you don't hold much value in the rest of his game, you can call him a one dimensional shooter. But that shot is extremely reminiscent of what Ovechkin and now Laine are making a living off.

I'm not saying he's on their level, I'm saying when he consistently rips it in from the circle and goalies can't do anything to stop it, that's who he reminds you of.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
it was pretty straightforward that play away from the puck, strength and potentially conditioning were part of the considerations behind why zadina isn't up with the wings this year, but most everyone reflexively reacts to those type of decisions as if they diminish the potential of the player. he's playing on a pretty lousy squad in grand rapids in terms of depth and is still managing to post some decent numbers. the reason he's down there is not because detroit thought he couldn't produce offensively in the league. they're out to fix a few things that scouts saw towards the end of last year. to see him go from potentially the 1st forward taken to being the 5th taken in such a short period of time seems to signal to me that something subtle but significant scared some teams off once they started to hone in on him on a shift by shift basis. but one thing that should never be questioned is that despite the concerns, the shots this guy is able to generate have never been debated by a single scout as being anything but top tier. 7 goals in 7 games in the wjc as a draft eligible isn't too common.

it could be something like brett hull experienced as a young player. when you have an absolute cannon of a shot, it can be really easy to get lazy with the rest of your game. it's also easy to get overconfident in your ability based on that and maybe being a little resistant to the idea of being coached up. the bus rides in the ahl are good for your character if you've been walked to the arena on the shoulders of a sea of admirers your whole career.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hottest take in the thread: Zadina has a "Slightly above average shot."

... Even if you don't hold much value in the rest of his game, you can call him a one dimensional shooter. But that shot is extremely reminiscent of what Ovechkin and now Laine are making a living off.

I'm not saying he's on their level, I'm saying when he consistently rips it in from the circle and goalies can't do anything to stop it, that's who he reminds you of.
Thats just a ridiculous take. Ive been called "low" on Zadina many times but his shot is absolutely elite, and so are his hands.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I never understood why scoring instincts are belittled. Zadina produces goals and points. Why does it matter if they are impressive points or not? Not every player is a flashy dangler. Some find the right spots on the ice, and have good precision in front of net. Zadina has elite scoring instincts, and that is a very important part of the game for a forward. It shouldn't be held against him that he's not a flashy dangler who scores all his points with highlight-reel goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->