F Ethan Gauthier - Drummondville Voltigeurs, QMJHL (2023, 37th, TBL)

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Gauthier is slated to be picked #1 in the QMJHL draft about a month from now. Gauthier is the son of former NHLer Denis Gauthier. His brother is Kaylen Gauthier (Drummondville) and his cousin is Julien Gauthier (NY Rangers).

There was no Midget AAA season due to COVID so scouts need to base their evaluations on the prior season which prospects spent in the Bantam ranks. Ethan Gauthier seems to be the best prospect right now.
The Sherbrooke Phoenix hold the first pick

Éthan Gauthier at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: d rake

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Ethan is a nice prospect. He's got an elite skillset with solid hockey sense. Plays with energy and grit too. Nothing really missing in his skillset. I think his game is fairly comparable to Zachary Bolduc at the same age.

I think he's a clear cut 1st overall player for the QMJHL draft this summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: NA Scouting

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
His cousin Julien and his dad are monsters but his brother is only average size. Will be interesting to see what size he ends up and how it affects his game if he grows

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Looks as if he’s eligible to play for USA. He was born in Phoenix.

4.2. Players that have never played in an IIHF Championship 4.2.1. A male player who has two legal citizenships or more, or has changed his citizenship or has acquired or surrendered a citizenship and wants to participate for the first time in an IIHF Championship and/or an Olympic competition or in qualifications to these competitions, then in order to play for his Country of choice the player must:
a) Prove that he has (i) participated in the competitions within his Country of choice on a consistent basis, over at least sixteen (16) consecutive months (480 days) and during two hockey seasons after his 10th birthday (ii) resided in his Country of choice during that period and (iii) neither transferred to another Country nor played ice hockey for a team registered or located within any other Country during that period; and
b) If the Country of his choice is one to which the player has transferred then he must have had an international transfer that was approved by the IIHF and dated at least 16 months (480 days) prior to his proposed participation.

Don't think he meets the requirements to play for the US at least so far.

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Saw him play a lot in Sherbrooke this year.

He is raw, but there is something there. I think he plays a smart game especially for a 16-year-old. I am looking forward to paying more attention to him this season. With Parent and Anctil leaving, he should have more offensive responsibilities. I hope he plays with Roy.

Glad he got 3 goals yesterday. I hope he has a great showing the rest of the tournament and comes back to the Q full of confidence. The Phoenix will need him to step up if they want to be a contender this year.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Looks really good out there. A lot of energy to go with his skill and IQ.
What surprises me is how well he is using his body. He did not play that much of a physical game in Sherbrooke. He is not playing like a bruiser, but he is goes to the net a lot and stays there. Once again, not something he was doing in the Q last year.

I guess being a 16 yo in the Q, you are not strong enough to do so. He looks bigger on TV than he did in person all year. I wonder if he had a growth spurt.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's really stood out to me at the Hlinka tournament. Looks like a guy who is going to rise quickly if he keeps that sort of play up. Skilled, creative, and has a bit of bite to his game. Looks decently sized on the ice too.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
He's really stood out to me at the Hlinka tournament. Looks like a guy who is going to rise quickly if he keeps that sort of play up. Skilled, creative, and has a bit of bite to his game. Looks decently sized on the ice too.
I agree for sure, loved him at camp and here in the tournament. Really well rounded player that can play a variety of styles or roles. I think he’s one of the safest prospects in the draft as of now while also having high upside too. If he skates a bit better, I’d definitely say he’s top 10 for me. Right now I’d put him in the early to late teens. Teams will be drooling over his physical game and ability to finish, make plays down low and just win 50/50 battles. Great kid and leader too. He’s the full package imo.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I agree for sure, loved him at camp and here in the tournament. Really well rounded player that can play a variety of styles or roles. I think he’s one of the safest prospects in the draft as of now while also having high upside too. If he skates a bit better, I’d definitely say he’s top 10 for me. Right now I’d put him in the early to late teens. Teams will be drooling over his physical game and ability to finish, make plays down low and just win 50/50 battles. Great kid and leader too. He’s the full package imo.
I am going from memory here, but I am pretty sure he played some PK last year in the playoffs... as a 16-year-old on a very good team.

He definitely did earlier in the year and I remember being impressed by him on the PK.

That being said, I did not pay close attention to him. I was mostly drooling over the top line of Roy, Anctil and Parent. If Gauthier gets to play with Roy this year, I expect him to score close to 40 goals. Roy has a great shot and draws a lot of attention... but he is also a very good playmaker which should benefit Gauthier a great deal. I also like that he seems to have developed more of a physical game. Hopefully that can carry over to the Phoenix. One weakness of the Parent, Anctil, Roy line was that Parent was doing a lot of physical work... and he is a midget.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I am going from memory here, but I am pretty sure he played some PK last year in the playoffs... as a 16-year-old on a very good team.

He definitely did earlier in the year and I remember being impressed by him on the PK.

That being said, I did not pay close attention to him. I was mostly drooling over the top line of Roy, Anctil and Parent. If Gauthier gets to play with Roy this year, I expect him to score close to 40 goals. Roy has a great shot and draws a lot of attention... but he is also a very good playmaker which should benefit Gauthier a great deal. I also like that he seems to have developed more of a physical game. Hopefully that can carry over to the Phoenix. One weakness of the Parent, Anctil, Roy line was that Parent was doing a lot of physical work... and he is a midget.
Yeah I think you’re right, he did receive some PK time. It’s clear listening to Julien speak about Gauthier that he truly values his all around game, he should be a staple on Sherbrooke’s top line and special teams. He’s incredibly physical and finishes every check he can, also just very adept at using his body to win puck battles and get himself into scoring areas. He is heavy on the puck and knows where to be to score goals. Should have a big year in the Q

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Yeah I think you’re right, he did receive some PK time. It’s clear listening to Julien speak about Gauthier that he truly values his all around game, he should be a staple on Sherbrooke’s top line and special teams. He’s incredibly physical and finishes every check he can, also just very adept at using his body to win puck battles and get himself into scoring areas. He is heavy on the puck and knows where to be to score goals. Should have a big year in the Q
Yeah, as a season-ticket holder, I am very excited to see him and Roy play together. Should be a fun. Both are shooters, the center lucky enough to play with them will rack up a lot of assists.

I am also very excited about the added physicality. He always used his body well, but he was not dominant physically (how could he be at 16).

If he can develop into a defensively responsible goal-scoring power forward, he will go VERY high in the draft.

Reactions: Leviathan899

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My concern with him is that I don't know if he has the standout attributes in any part of the game for a player who is 5'11 and an average, at best, skater. His Hlinka totals will help his draft position though. Could absolutely see him be a first round pick, but if he isn't one I see why he wouldn't be. There's some risk there.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Gauthier has 3 points in his first two games.

He did not really stand out though. Smart player, more physical than last year. Cannot wait to see Roy and him play together.

There was at least 4 scouts in the stands (Dallas, TB, Nashville and one who was not wearing NHL gear)

Reactions: Sagikev

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I was very impressed with Gauthier's game tonight.

1 goal and 1 assist in a 4-3 OT loss to Rouyn-Noranda.

The production is fun, but that is not what impressed me. He created a few turnovers with his forecheck. Very good on the backcheck (saved a 2 on 1 at least once).

On his goal, he found the soft spot in the D.

He is playing a very mature game. Lots of scouts in the stands tonight, pretty sure he scored a lot of points in their eyes.

If he plays like that all season, he might be a top 10 pick.

Reactions: Sagikev

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad