F Ethan Cardwell - Barrie Colts, OHL (2021, 121st, SJS)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
His hockey sense is his best asset. Really smart player in all three zones. Has a really good stick in the neutral zone that forces a lot of turnovers. Has a good shot and release too. Just physically immature. Lacks those physical tools that scouts look for (skating, strength, etc). But as he matures, I would imagine that those improve too. Definitely one of my favourites among the OHL'ers trending for a mid round selection.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I think there's a lot of room for him to grow. He's a very smart player, and being on the younger end of the draft class will help as he matures physically. I think one of the above posts summarized very well.

cvandenberg22

Dec 25, 2012
Cardwell has a chance to be a top 20 scorer in the OHL next season. He has all the tools (skating, shot, hockey sense) and is a popular player with his teammates. He could easily go in the top 3 rounds of the draft.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Drafted in the second round, 33rd overall, by the Saginaw Spirit in the 2018 OHL Draft, centre Ethan Cardwell broke out this past season. His play really improved after he was traded from Saginaw to the Barrie Colts at the OHL Trade Deadline. Cardwell started the season with 12 goals and nine assists for 21 points in 37 games for Saginaw. He then put up 11 goals and 15 assists for 26 points in 26 games with Barrie.

In his rookie season, Cardwell was limited to just 15 regular-season games for Saginaw. He scored five goals. He also added one goal in five playoff games. Cardwell also spent time in the OJHL. In 27 games with the Trenton Golden Hawks, he scored five goals and 17 points. He also played 14 games for the Pickering Panthers, scoring four goals and 11 points. In 2017-18, Cardwell played two regular-season games and three playoff games with the Wellington Dukes, who won the OJHL Championship. Cardwell comes from a strong hockey family. His grandfather, Steve Cardwell, played 53 NHL games and 152 WHA games in the 1970s. His father, Justin Cardwell, played for Western Michigan in the NCAA, before bouncing around the AHL, ECHL, and IHL.

Our Scouting Report
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/06/18/ethan-cardwell-scouting-report/

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
11 points in 6 games in the HockeyEttan (Swedish men league, tier below the Allsvenskan) to start off the season. Pretty impressive. For comparison's sake, Jean-Luc Foudy is another '02 birthdate who came from the OHL and he has 3 points in 10 games.

Myself and many others were quite surprised when he went undrafted last year, I don't think he'll slip through again this draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad