F Dmitri Ovchinnikov (2020, 137th, TOR; traded to MIN)

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Theoretically - yes, realistically - no. It's hard to believe any of the sides (Sibir, the VHL team, Ovchinnikov himself) would be interested in that.

Actually, before today's game, their PPG was almost identical (1.39 vs. 1.37) and a couple of weeks ago Pashin's was way higher so.... Hard to see where this conclusion is coming from.
Was basically commenting on how everyone was clamouring for Pashin and thought this pick was bad from the start. I'm aware of that. My point is that these guys are late-round picks and we need to give them time to grow and its great to see both off to a great start, especially the one the Leafs drafted.

Last edited:
Reactions: teddygmr

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
For those that understand the Russian junior leagues/development system, is Ovchinnikov actually good or is he simply blowing away lesser competition?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
For those that understand the Russian junior leagues/development system, is Ovchinnikov actually good or is he simply blowing away lesser competition?
For a 18 year old his results are pretty good. The only 18 year old ahead of him in MHL scoring is the league leader Kisakov by 6 points, which is not much given that Kisakov's team is destroying everyone and ahead of everyone in goals scored except SKA-1946 by a huge margin while Ovchinnikov's team is middle of the pack at best.

Obviously in Russia there is more movement between leagues, so the top-talented guys would be playing in the VHL or even KHL at 18-19. But then again, Ovchinnikov is 18. That's a pretty good curve. Next season though he should be making the step to the next level and play against men. It is not said he will be successful with that. Many of them remain junior superstars.

Reactions: Doublerum1975

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I like him a lot.

my only concern is 0 points in 10 khl games. For those who have seen him in khl this season, how has he looked?

I know sometimes young guys in khl just don’t get much ice time

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I like him a lot.

my only concern is 0 points in 10 khl games. For those who have seen him in khl this season, how has he looked?

I know sometimes young guys in khl just don’t get much ice time
He is 18. He is not supposed to score a lot in the KHL, nor is he on a team that has skilled teammates to put him together with.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Sibir's situation is so bad at the moment he has every chance to grab that spot in the lineup, to be honest. Coaching change likely coming as well.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
With Wedin being gone 4th line wing spot is Ovchinnikov's to throw away. 10 minutes per game might not be much but at least he has finally made the KHL, looks like.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I usually don't like kids who can't make the KHL so they move to NA. It usually means they have no guts.

He destroyed the MHL, his point production compared to his teammates was absurd. They don't have a VHL team so I don't know what more he could have done to earn KHL time. Maybe if he was in another organization things would've gone differently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad