F Dmitri Ovchinnikov (2020, 137th, TOR; traded to MIN)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Even on a VHL team?
As you may know, VHL isn't purely a development league. Only the rich teams own/have direct input on their VHL affiliates and move players around more willingly. Small teams like Sibir are only sending players to the VHL if they have nothing else to do with them, basically. I think at this time, only 3 players belonging to Sibir play for Orsk, their VHL affiliate. At the same time, while MHL and KHL teams almost always play in the same city, the distance between Novosibirsk and Orsk is over 2000 km. To Ovchinnikov, it would be an exile rather than a promotion.

Long story short, he is probably never going to play in the VHL as long as he belongs to Sibir.

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
As you may know, VHL isn't purely a development league. Only the rich teams own/have direct input on their VHL affiliates and move players around more willingly. Small teams like Sibir are only sending players to the VHL if they have nothing else to do with them, basically. I think at this time, only 3 players belonging to Sibir play for Orsk, their VHL affiliate. At the same time, while MHL and KHL teams almost always play in the same city, the distance between Novosibirsk and Orsk is over 2000 km. To Ovchinnikov, it would be an exile rather than a promotion.

Long story short, he is probably never going to play in the VHL as long as he belongs to Sibir.
Interesting thanks! Didn’t know that. What would be a reasonable projection based on a guy his age, with his production?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
It's super early but his stat-line is trending similarly (if not better) that Marat Khusnutdinov who was selected 37th overall in the same draft.

Nice to see for a 5th rounder.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What would be a reasonable projection based on a guy his age, with his production?
MHL production is largely irrelevant because it depends on so many factors...

MHL went through many iterations, especially at the beginning there were teams you could walk over and pile up a bunch of points. Then your linemates matter, like Kucherov and Gusev played in the MHL together in those early days and you can see their ridiculous point totals. At the other end of the specter, you have a guy like Denisenko, who was a first-round pick and is all about offense but he played much later, for a big, deep team which would spread out the ice time and was generally low-scoring, and he could never even reach PPG in the MHL. Even in his D+1 season, he was below PPG.

So I don't think any real estimations could be based on MHL production, at least not without some proper system. Maybe some super stats guys who would calculate ice times, percentage share of team goals, etc. could come up with some sort of conclusion but it would be a hell of a lot of work nobody is paid to do, I guess. That's why international tournaments are so important, generally, because it helps to put these guys into perspective. Until then, it's all about the eye test until he starts scoring at the KHL level.

It's super early but his stat-line is trending similarly (if not better) that Marat Khusnutdinov who was selected 37th overall in the same draft.

His pace is marginally better than Chinakhov's last year so if he went undrafted all signs point he would be roughly pick #15 in next year's draft :sarcasm:

Last edited:

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Really have to wonder why teams weren't more interested in him. I know he's short but he's played well everywhere. When he was in the habs development camp he was clearly one of the standout guy.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Really have to wonder why teams weren't more interested in him. I know he's short but he's played well everywhere. When he was in the habs development camp he was clearly one of the standout guy.

I think you are mixing Ovchinnikov with Oksentyuk the speedy 5'7 belarussian winger who was at montreal's camp. He was drafted in the 6th by Dallas, and is currently playing in belarus with a statline of 2 points in 12 games after two season in Saginaw.
Ovchinnikov couldn't have been at any training camps since he's an 02, a late one.

But with that being said Ovchinnikov's looking like a very special talent.

Reactions: teddygmr

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
A lot of posters in the draft thread wanted Pashin at the time and yet he isn't doing nearly as good as Ovchinnikov. So far it's been a great choice!

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I don't know what to think about this kid. Obviously, you love to see the offensive output but he did it already last year in this league.

Would love to see if he can create offense in the KHL with some actual ice time. I believe he's played under 1-2 minutes in each of his KHL games this season (one game he got 45 seconds).

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I don't know what to think about this kid. Obviously, you love to see the offensive output but he did it already last year in this league.

Would love to see if he can create offense in the KHL with some actual ice time. I believe he's played under 1-2 minutes in each of his KHL games this season (one game he got 45 seconds).

He's 18, and Sibir is in the tough situation, they won't risk and play a kid.

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
I'll take your word for it as I don't know the inner workings of the KHL.

What are your thoughts on Ovchinnikov? What should his development plan look like?
Putting on weight would be a good start. It’s hard to tell if he’s grown since he last update because he does seem like he’s smaller than what he’s listed at.

On the other hand, he doesn’t lack willingness to play physical, so if he’s able to put on some weight, it would go a long way to opening up more opportunities to showcase his high end skill level in different ways.

Other than that, I can’t say much about his IQ; it’s hard to tell with limited viewings of him.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Could Sibirskie loan him to another clubs VHL team? He's clearly too good for the NHL.

Earlier on this page someone talked about his VHL option:

VHL isn't purely a development league. Only the rich teams own/have direct input on their VHL affiliates and move players around more willingly. Small teams like Sibir are only sending players to the VHL if they have nothing else to do with them, basically. I think at this time, only 3 players belonging to Sibir play for Orsk, their VHL affiliate. At the same time, while MHL and KHL teams almost always play in the same city, the distance between Novosibirsk and Orsk is over 2000 km. To Ovchinnikov, it would be an exile rather than a promotion.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Could Sibirskie loan him to another clubs VHL team? He's clearly too good for the NHL.
Theoretically - yes, realistically - no. It's hard to believe any of the sides (Sibir, the VHL team, Ovchinnikov himself) would be interested in that.

A lot of posters in the draft thread wanted Pashin at the time and yet he isn't doing nearly as good as Ovchinnikov. So far it's been a great choice!
Actually, before today's game, their PPG was almost identical (1.39 vs. 1.37) and a couple of weeks ago Pashin's was way higher so.... Hard to see where this conclusion is coming from.

Reactions: ookhaab and Morgs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->