F Dmitri Ovchinnikov (2020, 137th, TOR; traded to MIN)

McGilliScout

Apr 12, 2020
I can't help but feel like he's a mid to late second round talent. I'd be shocked if I saw him taken there but there are few players outside the top 45 with his type of upside. A pure boom or bust type pick.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Russian forward Dmitri Ovchinnikov has had a real breakout year. Playing for Sibirskie Snaipery Novosibirsk in the MHL, Russia’s under-20 league, he has put up over a point per game. Ovchinnikov scored 24 goals and 31 assists for 55 points in 54 games. He also earned a chance to play in the KHL, getting in two games for Sibir Novosibirsk. While he didn’t pick up any points, he also didn’t get much ice time as his parent club is taking their time in developing a promising young player. Ovchinnikov also played two games for the Russian Under-18 National Team, picking up two goals and an assist for three points.

In 2018-19, Ovchinnikov played in the Russian Under-18 league, scoring seven goals and 10 assists for 17 points in just 10 games. This led to the Novosibirsk moving him up to the MHL, where he scored two goals and five assists for seven points in 40 games, playing as a 16-year-old. He also played eight games for Russia’s Under-17 National Team, putting up three goals and three assists for six points. An August birthdate, it is important to note that Ovchinnikov is one of the younger players in this draft class.

Our Prospect Profile and Scouting Report
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/05/18/dmitri-ovchinnikov-scouting-report/

tcat84

Sep 15, 2014
The CSS not even having him ranked should make things interesting. What's the highest player (1st yr eligible) drafted that wasn't on the CSS final ranking?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Russian site Championat.com considers him the best skater out of all Russian players eligible for the draft. Not sure about the best, but the kid can skate for sure.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
The CSS not even having him ranked should make things interesting. What's the highest player (1st yr eligible) drafted that wasn't on the CSS final ranking?
Tyler bertuzzi went 58th. Can't remember which, but he was unranked on some and in the 200's on others.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Dubas making these picks to improve his reputation with people on this website.
I don’t thinks these picks will change anyone’s opinion of him. They are pretty much in line with what he has always done with the Leafs.
He values skill and hockey IQ above all else.

If you agree with his philosophy you love what he has done at the draft. If you don’t you hate it.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The usual Toronto shenanigans aside I think it's a solid late pick given his age.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
He also had a 4 point game today by the looks of it. 2 G + 2 A?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Dubas was focused on public opinion, he would have taken a rich man's McIlrath 2.0 in Braden Schneider instead of going with a Russian to appease fan pressure.

But considering you think you're a scout, I bet you'd hope GMs care about this website :laugh:

Everyone understands the joke, except for you. Defend Dubas Mode is always activated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->