F Daniil But - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, KHL (2023, 12th, ARI)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
But was recently named to Russia's u18 Ivan Hlinka camp roster . He's only 16 years old and it is a rare feat to be invited to any Russian National junior team as an underager. Solid size for his age at 6'0 already and the son of former longtime Russian league/ KHL player Anton But. He could be an interesting prospect to follow for the upcoming years.

Daniil But at eliteprospects.com

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I wasn’t able to catch much of Russia’s games . Heard good praise of one 05 Demidov, how did But look as an underager at the Ivan Hlinka tournament ?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I wasn’t able to catch much of Russia’s games . Heard good praise of one 05 Demidov, how did But look as an underager at the Ivan Hlinka tournament ?

I'd say he was ok, but not on Demidov's level. He's way bigger, than Demidov, though, so NHL clubs will love him. Of course, he wasn't used as extensively as Ivan at the tournament, he usually was a 13th forward, while Demidov centered the 3rd line, so it diminishes But's statistics and play for sure.

But as we say in Russia, fortune is with those, who drive (fortune and drive are spelled the same way in Russian).

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'd say he was ok, but not on Demidov's level. He's way bigger, than Demidov, though, so NHL clubs will love him. Of course, he wasn't used as extensively as Ivan at the tournament, he usually was a 13th forward, while Demidov centered the 3rd line, so it diminishes But's statistics and play for sure.

But as we say in Russia, fortune is with those, who drive (fortune and drive are spelled the same way in Russian).

I thought he also showed good speed and stick-handling ability. He wasn't playing with the best line-mates, but was more noticeable than those players. He looked bigger than the listed height.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I’m not going to sit here and say I know what’s best for this particular kid or that coming to North America at such a young age is a great plan in general for Russian youngsters…

But Muskegon have a much better track record with this than most junior programs and I think it is hard to say they have “failed” their recent high profile Russian kids in any way. Part of that is the inherent quality of the players they’ve been able to recruit - in particular Svechnikov of course but Gushchin is a legit prospect who is probably top 5 in the Sharks system and already signed at 19 while Afanaseyev at 20 just had a very solid WJC with Russia and already has a KHL debut and is also signed and one of the better prospects in the Preds system.

I don’t think you can claim that stops at Muskegon have been anything but positive for these guys in terms of NHL goals. They’ve come, adjusted well and performed. The organization clearly has a comfort level with getting talented young Russians on solid footing in North America - which extends to off the ice as well - and it has by and large worked much better for them than the generalized debate on the topic, even if Muskegon is just a short pit stop to a quality CHL organization or NHL signing. It’s a little unfair to jump straight to the “oh young Russian coming to North America he’s ruined!!!” analogy in this case in my opinion - even if there is truth to it as a generality.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
That list of yours is so long..You even had to dig to even pull out Gushkin who is still a junior prospect
I didn't have to dig at all lol, he was on the team last year and signed with SJ's AHL team.....oh and they had Afanaseyev as well. There's no digging, those are the high end russians they've had in the recent past and it hasn't hurt their development at all lol

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Gushchin? His development has sucked. He was our best 2002, by far, before he left for NA. Nobody was close. But numerous guys are now better than him. This is obvious from the tournament in Sochi. He’s nowhere near the level he once was at.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMann and wings5

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I didn't have to dig at all lol, he was on the team last year and signed with SJ's AHL team.....oh and they had Afanaseyev as well. There's no digging, those are the high end russians they've had in the recent past and it hasn't hurt their development at all lol

They are just prospects so you can’t call them a success . It’s not like they were deemed to have NHL top 6 potential and achieved that , they haven’t even made the NHL yet.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
They are just prospects so you can’t call them a success . It’s not like they were deemed to have NHL top 6 potential and achieved that , they haven’t even made the NHL yet.
Ok but youre acting like it's the end of the world... those are the only russians that have played in muskegon anytime recently(well yakovenko too but he wasn't an nhl spec anyway). and the only one that's had any pro experience is literally already a stud in the NHL at 21 years old and the other two have been extremely productive in their respective leagues and will be playing pro hockey in NA this season.

So again.....what is the issue....

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Ok but youre acting like it's the end of the world... those are the only russians that have played in muskegon anytime recently(well yakovenko too but he wasn't an nhl spec anyway). and the only one that's had any pro experience is literally already a stud in the NHL at 21 years old and the other two have been extremely productive in their respective leagues and will be playing pro hockey in NA this season.

So again.....what is the issue....

I'm not talking about Muskegon, I'm talking about any Russians in USHL history. For the entire league who else can you name?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad