F Cole Caufield - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2019, 15th, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
If DeBrincat shaved and they switched jerseys, I doubt many would realize it to be honest...

I think Debrincat was/is a much more well rounded player. Debrincat has always been a 50% goals/50% assist type of player. Caufield isnt nearly as adept at moving the puck as Debrincat is. They are same size but Debrincat scores and distributes...Caulfield just scores at this point in his young career.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think Debrincat was/is a much more well rounded player. Debrincat has always been a 50% goals/50% assist type of player. Caufield isnt nearly as adept at moving the puck as Debrincat is. They are same size but Debrincat scores and distributes...Caulfield just scores at this point in his young career.
maybe during his (Debrincat) OHL career, but he is a shoot first guy at the NHL level, his passing is okay - really not much difference between the two, Caufield is force fed to be the sniper with the USNDP, things will balance a bit more out from college on for him...

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
and faster, and stronger. I mean, those are kind of important characteristics for any athlete to have. Pretending they don't matter is just as bad as not considering drafting him because he's too short.
faster? stronger? who gives a f*** when you score goals like this. how many players were faster than Brett Hull, Lucky Luc, or even Laine?? stronger? Gaudreau, Kane, Kuch, etc seem to be getting bulldozed out there...that is just lazy analysis - you go with the kid with the best skillset period..for his size, Caufield is a balanced/strong kid - just blanket statements being made because he is short..

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Everyone tends to focus on what players can't do instead of what they can do. What Caufield can do is score goals, and not just a few goals. We are talking about a potential generational goal scorer here. Sure he might not be a complete player but this kid just doesn't stop scoring.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Everyone tends to focus on what players can't do instead of what they can do. What Caufield can do is score goals, and not just a few goals. We are talking about a potential generational goal scorer here. Sure he might not be a complete player but this kid just doesn't stop scoring.
if he was 6'1 not a single soul would be saying anything about his speed or strength..he would be in the conversation for #1 OV with Hughes and Kakko...but he is 5'7.5 so therefor we will start adding up excuses why he shouldn't go high just like what was done to DeBrincat.

sometimes smaller players have advantages as well...lower center of gravity, better balance on their skates, edge work/agility typically better - these guys are hard workers because they had to fight their entire life to get here as a smaller player. not every player 5'8 and under that is skilled makes it, but next to DeBrincat none have been as skilled as deadly of a shooter as he is..I just laugh when people try to bring up other issues with him to hide their obvious narrative- the kid is a smurf, just call it for what it is and say you are not comfortable drafting him due to his size.

ironically, Turcotte, Zegras and Hughes have all taken bigger hits/gotten hurt throughout the past 2 seasons and not really Caufield. he is elusive and cerebral, he puts himself in the most advantageous positions on the ice, similar to DeBrincat, Kane, etc..

Caufield has things to work on, no doubt about it, but there are only a few players in this draft that are equal to or have more skill than he does..as you said, the team that focuses on that is the team that walks away with another player that in redrafts goes even higher than originally (assuming he is picked right around 10th ov),,

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
if he was 6'1 not a single soul would be saying anything about his speed or strength..he would be in the conversation for #1 OV with Hughes and Kakko...but he is 5'7.5 so therefor we will start adding up excuses why he shouldn't go high just like what was done to DeBrincat.

sometimes smaller players have advantages as well...lower center of gravity, better balance on their skates, edge work/agility typically better - these guys are hard workers because they had to fight their entire life to get here as a smaller player. not every player 5'8 and under that is skilled makes it, but next to DeBrincat none have been as skilled as deadly of a shooter as he is..I just laugh when people try to bring up other issues with him to hide their obvious narrative- the kid is a smurf, just call it for what it is and say you are not comfortable drafting him due to his size.

ironically, Turcotte, Zegras and Hughes have all taken bigger hits/gotten hurt throughout the past 2 seasons and not really Caufield. he is elusive and cerebral, he puts himself in the most advantageous positions on the ice, similar to DeBrincat, Kane, etc..

Caufield has things to work on, no doubt about it, but there are only a few players in this draft that are equal to or have more skill than he does..as you said, the team that focuses on that is the team that walks away with another player that in redrafts goes even higher than originally (assuming he is picked right around 10th ov),,
Kaliyev is 6'2", and has shown himself to be an elite goal scorer. Plenty of people are criticizing his skating, maybe some his strength. All prospects get picked apart.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Kaliyev is 6'2", and has shown himself to be an elite goal scorer. Plenty of people are criticizing his skating, maybe some his strength. All prospects get picked apart.
exactly, but I said if Caufield was 6'1 - meaning take his work ethic, his skating as is, his shot, etc..put that into a 6'1 package and he is being talked about as a potential #1...Kaliyev has other issues that Caufield does not. If it came off as me saying just make Caufield a generic 6'1 then yeah players of that size have problems too, but all I meant was just take what Cole is right now exactly and put that in a 6'1 frame- kid goes top 3 hands down..which brings me back to my original point, he is 5'7 that is the fear nothing else stands out besides that for me.

Reactions: Garyboy

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think DeBrincat's success will likely make GM's fearful to NOT pick Caufield in the top 10-12. Ironically, the 6'2" Kaliyev seems to be the forgotten one. I think there are some that fear he doesn't work hard enough, which, if true, would be a Red flag for me.
The stars are aligning for Caufield because of the tournament...Kaliyev, not so much. Both have a much sought after skill.

BTW, Kaliyev has OHL stats almost exactly the same as DeBrincats'.

I do find it funny that Caufield is going to be playing with a player at WIS who is going to be 4" shorter than him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stive Morgan

JLT

Jan 7, 2019
I had forgotten all about his 6 goal game this season when I saw this:

How did I manage to miss this:laugh:?

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I just love how nonchalant he is when scoring goals. It's like he knows he's going to score as soon as he gets the puck and just lazily says, "I'll just put it in this corner."

A bit smug don't you think?

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Did he steal your girlfriend or something? I'm not too sure why you have it in for him so badly.

I like him as a prospect like I like a lot of prospects.

I don't have it in for him at all. I wish him the best of luck and hope he makes his mark in the NHL. Being a little guy myself I cheer for all the little guys. We all need to keep things in perspective especially the U18WC.

Reactions: Slads

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Craig button says he wouldn’t bat an eye if Caufield went 2 or 3.....
Craig Button really doesn't like Kakko a whole lot, I've noticed. I'm expecting the final rankings for him to look something like 1. Hughes 2. Caufield 3. Podkolzin 4. Kakko or some such. It's no surprise considering how much weight he puts on WJC-u18s.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Craig Button was on radio today. He said he wouldn't bat an eye or be surprised if Cole Caufield went 3rd overall.

WoW!

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Craig Button was on radio today. He said he wouldn't bat an eye or be surprised if Cole Caufield went 3rd overall.

WoW!

Craig Button has a tendency and history of putting lot of weight and importance in the WJC and U18. Might be biaised. But nothing should surprise us anymore after seeing Barrett Hayton being picked 5th overall.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Craig Button has a tendency and history of putting lot of weight and importance in the WJC and U18. Might be biaised. But nothing should surprise us anymore after seeing Barrett Hayton being picked 5th overall.
Craig Button not being surprised if Caufield goes 3rd oa is actually funny. Before the tournament he said that one good/bad tournament will not make a player jump or fall largely. He didn't have Caufield in his top 10 heading into the tournament.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Craig Button not being surprised if Caufield goes 3rd oa is actually funny. Before the tournament he said that one good/bad tournament will not make a player jump or fall largely. He didn't have Caufield in his top 10 heading into the tournament.

He didnt say he had CC at 3. He said it wouldnt surprise him if a team liked him alot and drafted him at 3

Reactions: MSSLYNX
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->