F Cole Caufield - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2019, 15th, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
You better notify Elite Prospects that their stats are wrong.
Well they aren't updated to include his 2 goals from today which puts him at 69. But as the poster above me stated, you need to understand how they list USDP points to understand his season totals. Eliteprospects' stats are correct.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Why wouldnt you take Caufield over Turcotte then? I wouldnt take Caufield in top 10 if I was picking - just other players with less risk. 10-15 is probably about right.

I don't think you are getting my point. at #12 Turcotte won't be around. Caufield might. Neither will be available at #20.

Reactions: lawrence

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I tend to agree that I think someone takes him top 15 without a doubt. Hard to ignore what Debrincat has done and imo Caufield is significantly better than Debrincat at the same age with a better shot and significantly better skating.

Debrincat had 51 goals and 101 points in 60 games at that age in the OHL a better league than the USHL. I get you really want him on the Oilers but some of these takes simply arent true. Debrincat is also a much bigger person, not in height but he is built like a fire hydrant.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I think he'd be perfect fit on the New Jersey Devils, playing alongside somebody he's pretty familiar with :sarcasm:

Hughes is already small would need to be protected. Caufield is even smaller. NJD doesn't have a pick in the 7-15 range which is the expected area he's selected. He'll need a big 1C to be the most effective.

• BUF
  • EDM
  • PHI
  • FL
  • MTL

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Big/strong/fast are proving again in this years playoffs

will be very interesting how this pick plays out

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Debrincat had 51 goals and 101 points in 60 games at that age in the OHL a better league than the USHL. I get you really want him on the Oilers but some of these takes simply arent true. Debrincat is also a much bigger person, not in height but he is built like a fire hydrant.
I'm actually open to several players at the Oilers pick, and while Caufield's goal scoring would be awesome to get there are other guys like Zegras, Krebs, Dach, or Turcotte who have better all around games than Caufield. I saw a lot of Debrincat in his pre-draft year while watching McDavid and while I'm glad that he proved people wrong (I wanted him along with a few others including Tyler Benson with our 2nd pick) he sure did have some heavy boots in junior. I tend to like clusters of players at a specific pick because it's far too hard to predict which of these players is going to translate at the NHL level. I'd be happy if the Oilers took Caufield, but I'd also be happy if they took about 4 or 5 other players at 8.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I'm actually open to several players at the Oilers pick, and while Caufield's goal scoring would be awesome to get there are other guys like Zegras, Krebs, Dach, or Turcotte who have better all around games than Caufield. I saw a lot of Debrincat in his pre-draft year while watching McDavid and while I'm glad that he proved people wrong (I wanted him along with a few others including Tyler Benson with our 2nd pick) he sure did have some heavy boots in junior. I tend to like clusters of players at a specific pick because it's far too hard to predict which of these players is going to translate at the NHL level. I'd be happy if the Oilers took Caufield, but I'd also be happy if they took about 4 or 5 other players at 8.

Drinking a beer and just felt like letting you know that it’s a shame that one of those players is going to end up in Edmonton and be ruined as a player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How does Caufield compare to Debrincat? His scouting report and this topic makes me think they share some important strengths in their game, especially their knack for finding soft spots to get their shot off.

I have seen Caufield play for approximately 5 shifts so I would greatly appreciate input from posters who have actually seen the guy play.

Its a good comparison.

Caufield has a good release, great hands, finds space on the ice to shoot the puck, and has great goal scoring instincts. The rest of his game is right about average. He's a goal-scorer without many weaknesses, but without any big strengths besides his ability to score goals.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If I am a GM this kid is tough to project. Just for fun debate on what goes on in my head - he scores a ton of goals but rarely creates on his own. Relies heavily on players getting him the puck. Can finish and has a fast release. But I keep going back to him not creating on his own. A ton of his goals are off a nice passes from teammates. Plays on a supremely talented line of playmakers and he finishes..is 5'6 and 150...not stocky or powerful...shot isnt overly impressive....is his stats a result of playing with stud players...soon to hit 70 goals this season is incredible...does he play 200' game and is he sound defensively...ehh...I see him more as a one dimensional player.Do I take him top 10...no....top 15...no....I would take a shot with him in the 20 range and being selected by Buffalo.

I don't know if he's going to be over-drafted, but he is surely being overrated recently. A lot of people tune in for this tournament, and nothing else the rest of the season. Caufield hasn't scored nearly 3GPG this season. He's in terrific form, but this isn't the norm.

I tend to think NHL teams don't overreact to this tournament that much because they watch these players a lot during the season, but occasionally they do. I don't think Caufield's a top 10 pick, and I'm not convinced about top 15 either, although I think its close and don't think thats a bad range. I think right around the middle of the draft, give or take a few slots, is his range. I was hoping my team might be able to pick him with our second first round pick in the 16-22 range, but if he's playing himself out of that range and is going to go top 10, that means a top 10 player is going to drop outside the top 10, which I won't mind.

Reactions: beaverjc

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

Brinksy (21) weighs 164 pounds, Caufield (17) weighs 162 pounds...

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
habs seriously dont need another small player

not happening unless drouin/byron/gallagher gets dropped

You don't draft by just looking at your roster right now. A lot will have changed when the players from this draft hit their prime years. If Caufield is available at 15 you take him.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
correct and roster says get a LHD

pass

Needing LHD doesn't mean we absolutely have to draft LHD with our 1st rounder this year, though there should be good options available for them as well. Point is, always take the BPA. If Caufield is available (unlikely though) then take him, this kid is a stud.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
How does Caufield compare to Debrincat? His scouting report and this topic makes me think they share some important strengths in their game, especially their knack for finding soft spots to get their shot off.

I have seen Caufield play for approximately 5 shifts so I would greatly appreciate input from posters who have actually seen the guy play.
If DeBrincat shaved and they switched jerseys, I doubt many would realize it to be honest...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad