F Cole Caufield - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2019, 15th, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Appreciate you clarifying, and I agree with most of what you said. I think part of it is he plays with fast playmakers who like to carry the puck so he assumes the role of the guy who gets open to shoot. I think he's shown enough to show that he can make a lot happen on his own from the blue line in. I don't think he's the guy you want to wind up behind the net and try to skate through 5 guys like McDavid.

Nothing wrong with him simplifying his game in this tournament though. Better off letting the elite puck carriers and playmakers play their role so he can play his. Seems to be working out ok with 11 goals in 4 games :P

Totally agree. He shouldnt change a thing. Kid is a stud goalscorer and every player has tiny flaws - everyone does. Another pure finisher type but a totally different build is Wahlstrom. Ovechkin also comes to mind. Guys that can shoot. Caufield is a different pure shooter than those guys as he is more shifty and darting but he likes to shoot first and ask questions later. The puck isnt on his stick very long is probably a better description. Hughes has the puck on his stick all the time. Caufield not so much.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Gonna have to outright disagree with the bolded. He scores in many different ways that aren't back door one-timers. Has slick hands and explosive shifty skating that allow him to not only challenge and beat defenders 1 on 1, but also create separation on stretch passes to create partial breakaways. If you're saying he won't go end to end and skate through 5 defenders then sure you're right, but that's not his game. He also scored over a goal per game while Hughes was at the WJC's. Yes there are a lot of good players on his team, but implying he is just a passenger is silly.

Shot is most definitely impressive. It's hard and accurate and his release is lightning quick. He can beat you with a one-timer, a wrister, or a slick move in tight. Would I say he has a Laine or Ovi level shot? No, but he certainly has the shot of a guy who could be an elite 30+ goal scorer at the next level.
I agree. His shot, and especially the release, is fantastic. His ability to receive a pass is also very good. A player like Caufield makes it look easy, then you look at others and they are fumbling the puck, or taking half a second too long, or their shots always seem to get blocked.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
11 goals in 4 u18 wjc games. I can't imagine he hasn't made it difficult for at least 1 team in the top 10 to pass on him. Those numbers are ridiculous.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
The Oilers have to pair this guy with McDavid.....

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
His stats reflect a shooter only player - 69 goals and only 28 assists....very lopsided. He is having an unreal tournament but still a lot of questions for a player if you are picking him in top 10 or 15. Some people compare him to DeBrincat but he was 50goals/ 50 assist a year type player throughout his career. Almost a 50% goals/50% assist stat line. Gaudrea a 50/50 type player too...

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I don't think he will still be on the board at 20. Buffalo would have to snag him with their 7th overall.

He may not be...I am putting myself in a GMs shoes. Not sure I would take him in top 10-15 range. Love him at the 20 range.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I think even with his limitations he could be a great asset to any team. I just feel strongly that you have to pair him with a superstar center to take the focus off of him and take advantage of his goalscoring prowess...

He is one of the best I have seen at quickly creating space for himself to get into scoring position. His size almost seems like an asset when it comes to sneaking away from opposing Ds.
But I believe you will be very much in trouble if you pick him too high expecting him to carry a line offensively. Because IMO that clearly won't happen...

Eichel @7 (but that would IMO be a reach) ,McDavid @ 8 (even though I believe the Oilers should also pick one of the higher rated forwards like Krebs, Zegras or Boldy (maybe even a better fit for McD) instead), Pettersson at 10 or maybe Barkov at 12 (even though I am not sure that Caufield is a good fit on a line with a shutdown monster like Barkov) are the obvious landing spots to me.

Doubt he will be there @16 but him next to Landeskog and MacKinnon also could be absurd down the line...

Not sure any other team should consider picking him that high.
Still amazing goalscoring talent and I hope he beats Ovi's record...

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Well, sure. I would like Turcotte at #12. Would also like a 30" waist. But it ain't gonna happen.
I tend to agree that I think someone takes him top 15 without a doubt. Hard to ignore what Debrincat has done and imo Caufield is significantly better than Debrincat at the same age with a better shot and significantly better skating.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Well, sure. I would like Turcotte at #12. Would also like a 30" waist. But it ain't gonna happen.

Why wouldnt you take Caufield over Turcotte then? I wouldnt take Caufield in top 10 if I was picking - just other players with less risk. 10-15 is probably about right.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I tend to agree that I think someone takes him top 15 without a doubt. Hard to ignore what Debrincat has done and imo Caufield is significantly better than Debrincat at the same age with a better shot and significantly better skating.

Debrincat was pretty nasty at that age and was a 100 point type player with 50g/50a. Caufield is a 70/30 type which is interesting to see the lack of passing/playmaking but abundance of goals.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Debrincat was pretty nasty at that age and was a 100 point type player with 50g/50a. Caufield is a 70/30 type which is interesting to see the lack of passing/playmaking but abundance of goals.
No question, I just think that Caufield is even better than he was (which doesn't mean he'll become the same NHL player Debrincat is), but I look at Debrincat's skating. It's alright now, but not great and it was average on a good day at the time of his draft. Then I look at Caufield and I see a much more slippery, explosive, and faster skater and I wonder what he's capable of given what we've seen out of Debrincat scoring 41 this year.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
No question, I just think that Caufield is even better than he was (which doesn't mean he'll become the same NHL player Debrincat is), but I look at Debrincat's skating. It's alright now, but not great and it was average on a good day at the time of his draft. Then I look at Caufield and I see a much more slippery, explosive, and faster skater and I wonder what he's capable of given what we've seen out of Debrincat scoring 41 this year.

Good stuff...one thing that cannot be overlooked is this tournament is on an Olympic size sheet which is perfect for the fast USA team and perfect for Caufield as it allows him to find more space. If this was in a NHL size rink it would have certainly impacted his stat line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->