F Cole Caufield - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2019, 15th, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
So....he is going to score 60-70 goals in the NHL???.
- because Alex is already close to 40 goal pace at 21, 50 goals from Alex would be a obvious expectation for 2019-2020 season.

2017-2018: 28 goals, 2018-2019: ~ 40 goals, 2019-2020: 50 goals?

I think Cole Caulfield is frigging amazing, way better what most think, however...
I don't think he is Alex DeBrincat level of player (nor Alex DeBrincat 2.0), but i guess we gotta wait and see,
maybe in the future he'll pop 70 in the NHL, who knows. ....and Brinksy as well
well I am not sure where 60-70 goals is coming from?? Cat hasn't scored 40 yet, so not sure why you think he is going to hit those numbers..Ovi can't even do that anymore, doubt Cat ever will.

Caufield compares favorably to DeBrincat, style of play and how they create their offense...both kids will be connected due to their size, style of play, and lethal shots...no harm in that. Caufield has a few years to go before we even see him at the NHL level, so plenty of time for him to continue to work on his game, but right now if you wanted to compare Caufield to anyone playing in the NHL, it would be Cat.
and when someone says version 2.0, it doesn't mean they will produce 2 times that player - just means they are similar and a possible second coming of...maybe that is where your 60-70 goals is coming from???

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why do I see this guy slipping down draft lists? He's having a great season.

8 points (5G, 3A) in his last two games. There's the potential for 17 games left in the season. If the USA advances to the medal round of the WJC18 and Caufield plays all remaining games, he would beat Matthews NTDP single season goals record with 13 goals in those 17 games. He has 43 goals in 46 games.

Last edited:

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I definitely get the DeBrincat comparisons, they're only natural with Caufield's stature/goal scoring prowess. But having watched him lately, I'm reminded more of Gaudreau- his hands are absolutely dynamite. Just has the puck on a string and seems to come up with a lot of creative solutions out there.

(*not saying he ends up as a top-5 scorer in the NHL, merely talking hands here, folks)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I definitely get the DeBrincat comparisons, they're only natural with Caufield's stature/goal scoring prowess. But having watched him lately, I'm reminded more of Gaudreau- his hands are absolutely dynamite. Just has the puck on a string and seems to come up with a lot of creative solutions out there.

(*not saying he ends up as a top-5 scorer in the NHL, merely talking hands here, folks)
Don't really see it personally, he's a goalscorer first and foremost and doesn't come close to Gaudreau's playmaking (which is a huge part of Johnny's game). If there is a comparison out there for Caufield, it is Cam Atkinson. The problem with DeBrincat is that he's more of a zonal player always cycling and getting into scoring positions. Cole is much more off the rush and plays a very north to south high intensity game similar to Atkinson.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It can be done my friend!!

tumblr_pofqx523vx1xkok61o1_250.jpg

#DeBrincat 2.0

Reactions: Kevin Musto

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Best shot in the draft. Height be damned I wouldn’t be surprised if he somehow sneaks into the top 10.

It wouldn't surprise me if it happens. He's pretty similar to Debrincat as has been pointed out a lot and I'm sure a lot of GMs are kicking themselves for doubting Debrincat and don't want to make the same mistake twice.

If NHL GMs were allowed to re-do the 2016 draft at this point, it's really, really hard to make an argument that Debrincat is not a Top 10 pick. Here's my opinion of the clear cut top 9 players from that draft, based on the order they were drafted, and it's hard to make the argument that there's 2 or more players not in this list deserving to be above Debrincat in a redraft, thus knocking him out of the Top 10.
  • Auston Matthews
  • Patrik Laine
  • Pierre Luc-Dubois
  • Matthew Tkachuk
  • Clayton Keller
  • Mikhail Sergachev
  • Charlie McAvoy
  • Alex Debrincat
  • Carter Hart
That's certainly not to say some of the guys that haven't established themselves yet won't come on and overtake some of the above guys as as we're still talking about 20/21 year olds, or that NHL GMs wouldn't still get hung up on his size, but it's pretty clear now that Debrincat was undervalued and would go much, much higher in a redraft.

I still don't expect Caufield to go in the Top 10, but I don't expect GMs to make as drastic a mistake letting him slide like they did with Debrincat.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
It wouldn't surprise me if it happens. He's pretty similar to Debrincat as has been pointed out a lot and I'm sure a lot of GMs are kicking themselves for doubting Debrincat and don't want to make the same mistake twice.

If NHL GMs were allowed to re-do the 2016 draft at this point, it's really, really hard to make an argument that Debrincat is not a Top 10 pick. Here's my opinion of the clear cut top 9 players from that draft, based on the order they were drafted, and it's hard to make the argument that there's 2 or more players not in this list deserving to be above Debrincat in a redraft, thus knocking him out of the Top 10.
  • Auston Matthews
  • Patrik Laine
  • Pierre Luc-Dubois
  • Matthew Tkachuk
  • Clayton Keller
  • Mikhail Sergachev
  • Charlie McAvoy
  • Alex Debrincat
  • Carter Hart
That's certainly not to say some of the guys that haven't established themselves yet won't come on and overtake some of the above guys as as we're still talking about 20/21 year olds, or that NHL GMs wouldn't still get hung up on his size, but it's pretty clear now that Debrincat was undervalued and would go much, much higher in a redraft.

I still don't expect Caufield to go in the Top 10, but I don't expect GMs to make as drastic a mistake letting him slide like they did with Debrincat.

You'd put Tkachuk,Keller,Sergachev,McAvoy ahead of DeBrincat?
I think DeBrincat would be 3rd in the re-draft, or probably 4th due to the fact that Dubois is a center.

But what comes to other stuff, i am somewhat with you, not sure is Caulfield similar to DeBrincat thou
other than size , which is the obvious one and Cole seem to have a tremendous shot, but style of play ans other stuff?...
not in the slightest.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
You'd put Tkachuk,Keller,Sergachev,McAvoy ahead of DeBrincat?
I think DeBrincat would be 3rd in the re-draft, or probably 4th due to the fact that Dubois is a center.

But what comes to other stuff, i am somewhat with you, not sure is Caulfield similar to DeBrincat thou
other than size , which is the obvious one and Cole seem to have a tremendous shot, but style of play ans other stuff?...
not in the slightest.

He said it was in order they were drafted, not how he ranks them.

Tkachuk is easily ahead of DeBrincat though IMO. Not quite the goal scorer DeBrincat is, though he does have 30 on the season, practically the same amount of points in the same amount of games but Tkachuk brings way more to the table in other aspects of the game.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Caufield’s had one of the best seasons of any first year draft-eligible. It’s hard to see him falling in the draft all that far. I’ve seen that listing on some lists.

The operative question here is how high can you justify picking Caufield. I don’t think he’s likely to bust, but he’s very undersized with one tool that’ll play as more than average in the NHL. If he’s not a big goal scorer, you aren’t going to turn him into a fourth liner. Boom or bust prospect, in my opinion. I say that as a big Caufield fan.

I hope teams overlook this guy and my team can pick him with our second first rounder.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
106 goals (so far) in just 2 seasons (112 games), more goals than any player, ever.
Total of 156 goals in 171 games for USA Hockey National Team Development Program (USHL+USDP)
again, more goals than any player, ever.

And if you count 12 goals in 13 games for team USA (WHC-17+WJC-U18) = 168 goals in 184 games.
Also, scored 82 goals in total of 49 games in the USHS-WI for Steven's Point Area High. (2 seasons)

That would give him total of 250 goals in just 233 games. :eek:

Reactions: Love

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
106 goals (so far) in just 2 seasons (112 games), more goals than any player, ever.
Total of 156 goals in 171 games for USA Hockey National Team Development Program (USHL+USDP)
again, more goals than any player, ever.

And if you count 12 goals in 13 games for team USA (WHC-17+WJC-U18) = 168 goals in 184 games.
Also, scored 82 goals in total of 49 games in the USHS-WI for Steven's Point Area High. (2 seasons)

That would give him total of 250 goals in just 233 games. :eek:

The 106 career goals for Caufield include his international games while in the NTDP, so those 12 goals are included in the 106. The website www.usahockeyntdp.com is probably the best place to find out the correct statistics information on NTDP players. The site can be difficult to navigate, but the information is all there, and accurate. If you Google "Cole Caufield NTDP 2017-18 stats" and then select game log, you will see his stats for each game that season, along with totals for each category at the bottom of the table.

Last edited:

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Can't wait for 3-4 years time where everyone who had him in the mid to late first say he should have been a top 5 pick, and not to underrate small players like him again.

Will people ever learn their lesson? Find out next time on dragon ball z

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

• Auston Matthews
  • Patrik Laine
  • Pierre Luc-Dubois
  • Matthew Tkachuk
  • Clayton Keller
  • Mikhail Sergachev
  • Charlie McAvoy
  • Alex Debrincat
  • Carter Hart

It varies though. Obviously missing on DeBrincat sucks. But, I don't think teams are kicking themselves for passing on Yamamoto the next year. Yamamoto's young, so he can still become an impact NHLer. We won't see a kid like Point slip to the 3rd again anytime soon, and a Debrincat situation is also unlikely.

But, I'd say GM's are now overlooking height more high in the draft. Quinn Hughes went 7th overall as a defenceman and many believe he was 5'9 or shorter (and that's why he avoided the height measurements at the combine).

I'd be pretty shocked to see Caufield go top 10. But after that 10 of Hughes, Kakko, Podkolzin, Turcotte, Boldy, Krebs, Dach, Cozens, Byram and Zegras, the draft is pretty wide open. Now, we could see one or two surprise picks passing those guys (similar to how Hayton and Kravtsov sort of shocked the top 10 last year pushing Wahlstrom and Dobson out), but after those 10 are off the board, the draft could go in many different ways. 31 teams with individual lists are going to have wide-variances on guys, so Caufield could end up being the 2nd best guy on many teams remaining list and slip to the 20's, or one teams could love him and shock us by taking him at 11.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
The 106 career goals for Caufield include his international games while in the NTDP, so those 12 goals are included in the 106. The website www.usahockeyntdp.com is probably the best place to find out the correct statistics information on NTDP players. The site can be difficult to navigate, but the information is all there, and accurate. If you Google "Cole Caufield NTDP 2017-18 stats" and then select game log, you will see his stats for each game that season, along with totals for each category at the bottom of the table.

Okay... its really confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->