F Cole Caufield - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2019, 15th, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
How high can you reasonably draft his skill-set? There's a decent chance he could have a Debrincat type of impact, but he's not going to be a star player. His ceiling is a complimentary first line player. Caufield doesn't impact the game outside of scoring goals. He's very good at it, and I don't think the rest of his game is a weakness, but its not a strength.

He should not go before 16 in the draft. If I'm picking that high, I'd want a higher upside player, whether they are currently better than Caufield or not.

If you believe his ceiling is a first-line caliber goal scorer isn't that worth a high draft pick? People compare him to DeBrincat and a lot of teams slept on him and now he looks like he could be a routine 30 goal scorer. Caufield is getting a lot more press.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you believe his ceiling is a first-line caliber goal scorer isn't that worth a high draft pick? People compare him to DeBrincat and a lot of teams slept on him and now he looks like he could be a routine 30 goal scorer. Caufield is getting a lot more press.

Where do you think Debrincat would go in a re-draft? Thats probably a best case scenario for a player like Caufield.

I don't think Caufield has a very big draft range. 16-20 or so is where I think I'll have him ranked all season, given he doesn't show anything drastically different to what he showed last season. I don't say that as a bad thing. I just think that type of skill-set is not one I would want to use a top 10-15 draft pick on. He's also way too good at what he does well to be picked any lower than that.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Where do you think Debrincat would go in a re-draft? Thats probably a best case scenario for a player like Caufield.

I don't think Caufield has a very big draft range. 16-20 or so is where I think I'll have him ranked all season, given he doesn't show anything drastically different to what he showed last season. I don't say that as a bad thing. I just think that type of skill-set is not one I would want to use a top 10-15 draft pick on. He's also way too good at what he does well to be picked any lower than that.

He compares favorably to DeBrincat but is probably even more skilled as a goal scorer. Elite talent in that regard. If he has upside as a first-line goals scorer then he should be picked relatively high. It doesn't matter if the rest of his game is average.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Not many are talking about Cole Caufield, maybe should?.
I think he is still heavily over looked, mainly because of Jack Hughes.

He has scored at least a goal in every single game in the USHL this season (7 in 5 games).
He has scored at least a goal in every single international game this season (7 in 4 games).
He is on a 8 game goal streak (13 goals in 8 games).

Reactions: StroShow

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Not many are talking about Cole Caufield, maybe should?.
I think he is still heavily over looked, mainly because of Jack Hughes.

He has scored at least a goal in every single game in the USHL this season (7 in 5 games).
He has scored at least a goal in every single international game this season (7 in 4 games).
He is on a 8 game goal streak (13 goals in 8 games).

He's mainly overlooked because of his size, not Jack Hughes, and also because he started the year slowly. He's since taken off though, especially in the goal scoring department as you note.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Been keeping an eye out on him. He’s a top 10 talent that will fall due to his size. Hope the Wild can snatch him up in the latter part of the 1st round. Lord knows they need a player with his goal scoring ability.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
didn't know him before watching couple of jack hughes shift by shift matches and he realy stood out and had to read about him!

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Caufield has 10 goals in 14 games against college teams this season. The knock against him is going to be how his game translates to higher levels when the game is more physical, faster and the players are bigger. He's stepped up his game against college teams, so he seems to be doing a good job of answering the knock on his game.

Reactions: canucklax

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
What are chances he ever comes over to the OHL. Believe the Greyhounds own his rights... Sounds like the kind of player who would thrive in the puck possession system in the Sault.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Caufield has 10 goals in 14 games against college teams this season. The knock against him is going to be how his game translates to higher levels when the game is more physical, faster and the players are bigger. He's stepped up his game against college teams, so he seems to be doing a good job of answering the knock on his game.
Do college teams play the USDP the same way they play other college teams? I've always noticed that players put up obscene stats for the USDP but often when they actually get to college struggle to put up even relatively similar statistics right away.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Do college teams play the USDP the same way they play other college teams? I've always noticed that players put up obscene stats for the USDP but often when they actually get to college struggle to put up even relatively similar statistics right away.
No they don't. The game doesn't mean much.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Does he project strictly as a winger now and in the NHL because of his size?

I only ask because I’ve seen him listed as “C/W” or “C/RW” on a couple web sites.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

Depends on the team, some definitely don't show up at the start of the year.
It is considered an exhibition for the NCAA team, it doesnt affect national rankings, and stats don't count either.

They count for NTDP team, and the record is recorded, and points recorded.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's strictly a winger.

I don't understand why we shouldn't count these games. The NCAA teams don't put out the reserve side. Maybe they'll play their best players a little less and do more line experimentation, but the NCAA players don't give half-effort just because they aren't playing a game that effects their NCAA season.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Nope
It is considered an exhibition for the NCAA team, it doesnt affect national rankings, and stats don't count either.

They count for NTDP team, and the record is recorded, and points recorded.

Considering there is upwards of 50 scouts at all of NTDP's games, I would say otherwise. And when a team like this one blows out highly ranked teams you bet they aren't going lightly.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Considering there is upwards of 50 scouts at all of NTDP's games, I would say otherwise. And when a team like this one blows out highly ranked teams you bet they aren't going lightly.

There is scouts at every game.
Numerous NCAA head coaches even said it is tough to get the guys up for exhibition games.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
2 goals tonight vs Maine - strong game from Cole, kid was very noticeable yet again - Alex DeBrincat version 2.0

So....he is going to score 60-70 goals in the NHL???.
- because Alex is already close to 40 goal pace at 21, 50 goals from Alex would be a obvious expectation for 2019-2020 season.

2017-2018: 28 goals, 2018-2019: ~ 40 goals, 2019-2020: 50 goals?

I think Cole Caulfield is frigging amazing, way better what most think, however...
I don't think he is Alex DeBrincat level of player (nor Alex DeBrincat 2.0), but i guess we gotta wait and see,
maybe in the future he'll pop 70 in the NHL, who knows. ....and Brinksy as well

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
we have had this discussion before..the same people saying it doesn't mean anything to the NCAA teams have either never played a competitive game in their life or have no clue how showing up positively in front of dozens of scouts still matters.

they mean something, I have talked to many NCAA kids over the years that never want to lose to the USNDP and do play their best...it is why they ice their best players/starting goalies typically as well..it is not just an exhibition when you look at the big picture- no kid wants to look bad in front of any scout - ever. the kids aren't going to play like it was a Frozen Four game, but they do show up and play their best - can you imagine any NCAA coach allowing their players to coast out there??? hahahahaha...ignore those that have no clue what they are talking about on this.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He's strictly a winger.

I don't understand why we shouldn't count these games. The NCAA teams don't put out the reserve side. Maybe they'll play their best players a little less and do more line experimentation, but the NCAA players don't give half-effort just because they aren't playing a game that effects their NCAA season.
yep, some just want to pass false narratives on here as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad