F Cole Caufield - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2019, 15th, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Yes, Caufield made a very nice move on that goal. He also demonstrated a pretty hard shot on a couple of other plays that did not make the highlight reel.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Had 3G,1A today against Belarus. Now at 3G, 2A in 4 games so far this tournament. He hadn't been having the best tournament, but he was excellent today. Here was the hat-trick goal.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
It’s been overshadowed by Hughes chasing the overall points record but, with 54 goals on the season, Caufield is just 1 goal shy of Matthews’ 55 goal season record. He’s on his way to becoming the top goal scorer in NTDP history.
That is amazing, especially for a player of his size. Caufield just seems to have a nose for the puck and knack for putting it in the net. When I first saw him playing for the U17 team last autumn, I wasn't sure what to expect, but he just makes plays.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It’s been overshadowed by Hughes chasing the overall points record but, with 54 goals on the season, Caufield is just 1 goal shy of Matthews’ 55 goal season record. He’s on his way to becoming the top goal scorer in NTDP history.
why the hell don't you post more often Cagney??? One of the few posters when I see their username I look forward to something insightful!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
That is amazing, especially for a player of his size. Caufield just seems to have a nose for the puck and knack for putting it in the net. When I first saw him playing for the U17 team last autumn, I wasn't sure what to expect, but he just makes plays.
I do like the Alex DeBrincat comps for him... Button said the same thing only difference is teams won't be afraid to draft Cole higher unlike Cat who went criminally low for his skillset.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'm hella biased towards DeBrincat type players (small, impact guys), but Caulfield is definitely my favourite player in the 2019 draft. Obviously he's not the best, but certainly amongst them. Gotta be a top 10 pick at least atm.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm hella biased towards DeBrincat type players (small, impact guys), but Caulfield is definitely my favourite player in the 2019 draft. Obviously he's not the best, but certainly amongst them. Gotta be a top 10 pick at least atm.
well get ready to defend him x10 compared to the shit we have heard with Quinn Hughes!!! "No way a 5'7 forward goes in the top 10!!" I am with you though, kid is the shit and plays much bigger than he is, goes into the dirty areas, throws some pretty big hits, and just sees the game at a different level than most of his peers.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I just think top 10 is too high. 11-20 seems a more appropriate range. Has there ever been a player picked in the top 10 who was under 5'10?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I just think top 10 is too high. 11-20 seems a more appropriate range. Has there ever been a player picked in the top 10 who was under 5'10?
Can't think of any, but how many guys under 5'10" SHOULD'VE been drafted in the top 10? Cause I think of quite a few. Arvidsson, DeBrincat, Gaudreau, to name a few. That happens because people keep underrating them. Caulfield won't be any different.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
...and so it begins lol!!!!

I'm a fan of Caufield, but there has to be reason for him to go top 10, it can't just be that we are fans of him because he's a good American player. I wouldn't want my team picking a player just because I rooted for the player at the international level, if it didn't end up actually helping my favorite team to do that.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Can't think of any, but how many guys under 5'10" SHOULD'VE been drafted in the top 10? Cause I think of quite a few. Arvidsson, DeBrincat, Gaudreau, to name a few. That happens because people keep underrating them. Caulfield won't be any different.

FYI, it's Caufield, not Caulfield. I wouldn't normally correct a minor spelling error, but the US NTDP U17 team also has another forward named Judd Caulfield, so I am trying to avoid any confusion. Caufield and Caulfield were teammates most of this season, and will be again next season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Other than Gaudreau, I don't know if any of those three are top 10 in a re-draft.

This is not about whether they were under-drafted. Those players all were, but top 10 pretty much requires you to be an elite level NHL'er, top line forward, first pair D.

I don't think its underrating Caufield to say he should be in the 11-20 range.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm a fan of Caufield, but there has to be reason for him to go top 10, it can't just be that we are fans of him because he's a good American player. I wouldn't want my team picking a player just because I rooted for the player at the international level, if it didn't end up actually helping my favorite team to do that.
oh I agree, just laughing as that is what you posted right after we said what we said.

I have no idea what the top 10 looks like so far next year, he is definitely a name to keep an eye on and someone I think has tremendous skill and grit...his size of course will limit him, and even though teams are becoming more liberal than ever with drafting smaller players, top 10 is going to be tough for him to reach currently. I just need to see how the overall group looks and where he stands in comparison. He reminds a lot of DeBrincat and that is a great thing as I think teams aren't going to miss the boat again on a kid like that, but is that enough for a top 10 pick? No clue, but he has a lot to prove next year as consistency will help his cause just like Cat did for 3 years in the OHL.

I want to see him consistently on the top line next year, which looks like will be the case. Boldy, Zegras, and Caufield all have a great shot at being top picks next year, especially if Hughes stays.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Caufield had two goals in the AAPG. Very normal game for him. Not involved a lot in the play, but a couple of opportunistic finishes. Goalscorer.

TheProspectNetwork

Jan 3, 2018
theprospectnetwork.ca
I feel like Cole Caufield doesn't get talked about enough. He is a brilliant goal scorer who knows where to be on the ice and takes advantage of his opportunities. Of course, he is only 5'6 and plays on the wing of a superstar, but remember that DeBrincat fell for the exact same reasons. Caufield's 54 goals last year were by far the most by a U-17 USDP player ever (Hughes was second with 40). Not only is he just an opportunistic goal scorer, but he's an underrated passer. Always seems to make the right play when I watch him play. I have him pegged for at least the top 15 of this draft.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I feel like Cole Caufield doesn't get talked about enough. He is a brilliant goal scorer who knows where to be on the ice and takes advantage of his opportunities. Of course, he is only 5'6 and plays on the wing of a superstar, but remember that DeBrincat fell for the exact same reasons. Caufield's 54 goals last year were by far the most by a U-17 USDP player ever (Hughes was second with 40). Not only is he just an opportunistic goal scorer, but he's an underrated passer. Always seems to make the right play when I watch him play. I have him pegged for at least the top 15 of this draft.
he is now 5'7.5 lol...just saying, he did grow an inch and a half this offseason!!

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How high can you reasonably draft his skill-set? There's a decent chance he could have a Debrincat type of impact, but he's not going to be a star player. His ceiling is a complimentary first line player. Caufield doesn't impact the game outside of scoring goals. He's very good at it, and I don't think the rest of his game is a weakness, but its not a strength.

He should not go before 16 in the draft. If I'm picking that high, I'd want a higher upside player, whether they are currently better than Caufield or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->