F Cole Caufield - Univ. of Wisconsin, NCAA (2019, 15th, MTL) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Exciting prospect for sure. A natural, there's little doubt he'll be a 30 goals scorer at the NHL level—and probably a 40 goals scorer and maybe 50. Now I just hope the rest of his game passes the bare minimum needed to play in the NHL.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
No doubt his shot and goal scoring ability is NHL ready but is the rest of his game?

Time will tell.

The hype over Suzuki and Poehling has fallen flat, although to be fair preseason hype for young players almost always does.

Stop with this nonsense...as if a players value changes after 3 and 5 games...you are the portion of the fan base that overreacts to everything and make it so hard to play in Montreal. One bad goal from price=terrible contract!!! One bad play from Suzuki=send him down, poehling 3 goals= future all star

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Stop with this nonsense...as if a players value changes after 3 and 5 games...you are the portion of the fan base that overreacts to everything and make it so hard to play in Montreal. One bad goal from price=terrible contract!!! One bad play from Suzuki=send him down, poehling 3 goals= future all star

Especially since Poehling did literally nothing basd—just got injured.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Exciting prospect for sure. A natural, there's little doubt he'll be a 30 goals scorer at the NHL level—and probably a 40 goals scorer and maybe 50. Now I just hope the rest of his game passes the bare minimum needed to play in the NHL.
He's got charaktur.. NHL charaktur

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I'm not a Habs fan, although I'm not the Hab hater I used to be as a child when the Habs Dynasty used to toy with the 70's Vancouver Canucks.

but People were making to much fuss over Poeling's hat trick first NHL game and Nick in the pres season.

No doubt both have the ability to be quality NHLer's in the future but most teams fans just can't put the brakes on their prospects at times.

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec

He's always had abnormally high goals total at every level he's played. Looks like it will continue at the NCAA level.

Most goals in USNTDP history.

1Cole Caufield2017-19126
2Phil Kessel2003-05104
3Patrick Kane2004-0684
4Jeremy Morin2007-0981
5Auston Matthews2013-1579
6Jack Hughes2017-1974
7Andy Hilbert1997-9973
8Oliver Wahlstrom2016-1872
9Clayton Keller2014-1671
10Jack Eichel2012-1467
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
There's Caufield

Kessel

and the rest.

Last edited:

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
I'm not a Habs fan, although I'm not the Hab hater I used to be as a child when the Habs Dynasty used to toy with the 70's Vancouver Canucks.

but People were making to much fuss over Poeling's hat trick first NHL game and Nick in the pres season.

No doubt both have the ability to be quality NHLer's in the future but most teams fans just can't put the brakes on their prospects at times.

I agree with the general point you're making, but almost no real fans thought too much about Poehling's hat trick. We knew it was the last game and it didn't mean too much, but the Poehling hype began way before (probably his D+1) because of how he developed. For Suzuki, it was his playoff play.

But I agree that usually, fans of any teams will see much more in their own prospect than other. We can call this "hope".

IMO, I'm still taking it slow with Caufield. He seems to cheat a little in his zone to be "ready" to counter-attack, but sometimes, he exit the zone even before his team get the puck for sure. Maybe I over-analyzed because he was the only player I was interested in, but like I said, I keep my hope at 50/50. Anyway, we know he have the shot to score, it won't be the factor if he make it in the NHL or not.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
To the eye test he's always looked good. But honestly, the size still is such a question mark. You indeed can play in NHL as such a small player and be effective as well, but it still is a little tough to bet on it.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Cole Caufield 2014-2015 - up to today: in 312 games, 321 goals, 189 assists, 510 points. = goal scorer with underrated playmaking skills
Yep, he's frequently played on teams where he wasn't the driver on his line and he's got such a great and quick release that his playmaking doesn't always get a chance to shine. Once he gets the puck on his stick in the zone though, he honestly has great vision and passing

Reactions: tealhockey

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Yep, he's frequently played on teams where he wasn't the driver on his line and he's got such a great and quick release that his playmaking doesn't always get a chance to shine. Once he gets the puck on his stick in the zone though, he honestly has great vision and passing
When you score so many goals people tend to put you in a one-dimensional pure 'goalscorer' box

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
I am just wondering, does anybody know what were the best goal totals for a rookie in the NCAA for the last 15 years? Say a top 10? (I have a hard time comparing totals to that of guys back in the 70s/80s were hockey was so different).

Just curious to see what kind of players have scored 30+ in their rookie, 18th years old season in the NCAA (whether it's common or not) in the last 15ish years.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I am just wondering, does anybody know what were the best goal totals for a rookie in the NCAA for the last 15 years? Say a top 10? (I have a hard time comparing totals to that of guys back in the 70s/80s were hockey was so different).

Just curious to see what kind of players have scored 30+ in their rookie, 18th years old season in the NCAA (whether it's common or not) in the last 15ish years.
Vanek is the only one, right? In 2002-2003 scored 31 goals in 45 games.

Of the recent ones, Brock Boeser had 27 in 42 games and Jack Eichel 26 in 40 games.

Reactions: xNogaitx
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad