F Cole Caufield - Univ. of Wisconsin, NCAA (2019, 15th, MTL) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Where did you see that? I follow college hockey exclusively and no one is talking about that.

In an interview, I’m busy at work right now but I’ll edit this post when I find it. Have no reason to fabricate the above, does nothing for me. Here’s another reference to it:

Montreal Canadiens: Just How Soon Could We See Cole Caufield In Habs Jersey?

“ Well, he said himself earlier this year that he plans on only playing one season with Wisconsin before turning pro. If he signs as soon as his NCAA season ends, he could be scoring goals for the Habs before this regular season finishes.”

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Mittelstadt indicated before the end of the Gophers season that he would be one and done
Wahlstrom after he got benched you knew he was one and done

Into week 10 right now of 22 and wisconsin has only taken 1 weekend so far.
dropped in the rankings the past 5 out of 6 weeks.

could be really early for montreal.

Lumpy Grits

Sep 30, 2019
Mittelstadt indicated before the end of the Gophers season that he would be one and done
Wahlstrom after he got benched you knew he was one and done

Into week 10 right now of 22 and wisconsin has only taken 1 weekend so far.
dropped in the rankings the past 5 out of 6 weeks.

could be really early for montreal.

What were the situations with Mittlestadt and Wahlstrom?

Are you thinking that if Wisconsin’s season is going south that Caulfield could be up early? Is there a precedent for this?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
What were the situations with Mittlestadt and Wahlstrom?

Are you thinking that if Wisconsin’s season is going south that Caulfield could be up early? Is there a precedent for this?

No not leave early. Just not make the tournament, and get bounced in the B1G10 championship the first weekend.
Im just saying that with both those guys the seasons they had weren't ideal, and neither were on teams that made the tournament and signed relatively quick. forgot wahlstroms timeline though. I may be wrong though.

Wisconsin is another split, or bad weekend away from net even being ranked.
They are 6th in the B1G10 out of 7 teams.

Lumpy Grits

Sep 30, 2019
No not leave early. Just not make the tournament, and get bounced in the B1G10 championship the first weekend.
Im just saying that with both those guys the seasons they had weren't ideal, and neither were on teams that made the tournament and signed relatively quick. forgot wahlstroms timeline though. I may be wrong though.

Wisconsin is another split, or bad weekend away from net even being ranked.
They are 6th in the B1G10 out of 7 teams.
Ok I gotcha... so

3/6-3/8 Big10 1st round
3/14 Big10 semi’s
3/21 Big 10 championship

Then the regionals start on 3/27 and it’s looking like Wisconsin will likely miss out on them unless they win the Big10? So Caufield could see 2-4 weeks with the Habs?

Reactions: Ginger Papa

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
NCHC is the best conference. Big Ten is likely 2nd but it's often very close with the Hockey East and the ECAC isn't that far behind.

I consider NCHC to be the best conference though it's tough to really say but they are stacked with top teams and NHL draft picks. I think Hockey East is next, they are pretty sick this year with Northeastern, UMass, BC, Providence and UMass Lowell.

Ok I gotcha... so

3/6-3/8 Big10 1st round
3/14 Big10 semi’s
3/21 Big 10 championship

Then the regionals start on 3/27 and it’s looking like Wisconsin will likely miss out on them unless they win the Big10? So Caufield could see 2-4 weeks with the Habs?

I could see Caufield getting in maybe 4-5 games with the Habs as long as he still wants to turn pro.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I consider NCHC to be the best conference though it's tough to really say but they are stacked with top teams and NHL draft picks. I think Hockey East is next, they are pretty sick this year with Northeastern, UMass, BC, Providence and UMass Lowell.

I could see Caufield getting in maybe 4-5 games with the Habs as long as he still wants to turn pro.
I think the drop off in talent is a lot higher in Hockey East or NCHC even. All of their teams are fine but with one less team every weekend is a pretty competitive series in the B1G can't really say the same for the other two in my experience. And yeah part of that is because they aren't all top level teams but no one is absolute cheeks, I doubt a team will go .300 overall or something in the Big Ten.

As far as Caufield, I think he signs and it's very likely Wisconsin season ends early if they don't figure it out early in 2020. I don't actually think he should sign. He needs one or even two more years at the college/lower levels. He scored one goal in November when the Big Ten schedule started, 7/9 games were against Big Ten teams, 2 good teams, 2 'bad' teams. The majority of his goals (6 in first 3 games) have come against teams that aren't doing especially well this year. From the games I've seen (most of them) he still has a lot of work to do to impact the game on a regular basis and become a consistent scorer even at this level. That's not the end of the world, he's 5'6-5'7 and 18 years old, one of the top goalscorers in the NCAA, he still has a lot of room to grow at this level. I was disappointed to see that he couldn't make an impact in the Minnesota series, Penn State the whole team got stomped and Notre Dame is hard to score on but that's a lot of excuses in one month. He at least scored against Michigan.

I think he will end up being someone Montreal pushes up to the show early because he wants to prove he can do it and they need an elite scorer. If so I hope it's not a mistake, most guys can't play NCAA at 18 let alone NHL at 19.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think the drop off in talent is a lot higher in Hockey East or NCHC even. All of their teams are fine but with one less team every weekend is a pretty competitive series in the B1G can't really say the same for the other two in my experience. And yeah part of that is because they aren't all top level teams but no one is absolute cheeks, I doubt a team will go .300 overall or something in the Big Ten.

As far as Caufield, I think he signs and it's very likely Wisconsin season ends early if they don't figure it out early in 2020. I don't actually think he should sign. He needs one or even two more years at the college/lower levels. He scored one goal in November when the Big Ten schedule started, 7/9 games were against Big Ten teams, 2 good teams, 2 'bad' teams. The majority of his goals (6 in first 3 games) have come against teams that aren't doing especially well this year. From the games I've seen (most of them) he still has a lot of work to do to impact the game on a regular basis and become a consistent scorer even at this level. That's not the end of the world, he's 5'6-5'7 and 18 years old, one of the top goalscorers in the NCAA, he still has a lot of room to grow at this level. I was disappointed to see that he couldn't make an impact in the Minnesota series, Penn State the whole team got stomped and Notre Dame is hard to score on but that's a lot of excuses in one month. He at least scored against Michigan.

I think he will end up being someone Montreal pushes up to the show early because he wants to prove he can do it and they need an elite scorer. If so I hope it's not a mistake, most guys can't play NCAA at 18 let alone NHL at 19.

I've been watching more Hockey East lately to see Northeastern, I've been very impressed with UMass and Providence is solid as well, plus BC is having a much better start then last year and UMass Lowell has another good team from what I hear (haven't seen them yet) so with Northeastern you have some really good teams plus BU who I also haven't seen yet. I've watched the Big ten a good bit as well to see Caufield, Penn State was good and Notre Dame has one of the top coaches in the NCAA imo, haven't seen Ohio State yet but it's usually right there with the other two conferences at the top but with Michigan and Minnesota not being what they used to be hurts the conference a good bit.

As for Caufield I don't want him to turn pro but the Habs management seems to do every I hate in terms of developing prospects so why stop now. If it were up to me he would be back at Wisconsin next year, although I'm not a big fan of their coaching and I really like the coach the Habs have in Laval so perhaps it wouldn't be too bad to have him in Laval next year.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I've been watching more Hockey East lately to see Northeastern, I've been very impressed with UMass and Providence is solid as well, plus BC is having a much better start then last year and UMass Lowell has another good team from what I hear (haven't seen them yet) so with Northeastern you have some really good teams plus BU who I also haven't seen yet. I've watched the Big ten a good bit as well to see Caufield, Penn State was good and Notre Dame has one of the top coaches in the NCAA imo, haven't seen Ohio State yet but it's usually right there with the other two conferences at the top but with Michigan and Minnesota not being what they used to be hurts the conference a good bit.

As for Caufield I don't want him to turn pro but the Habs management seems to do every I hate in terms of developing prospects so why stop now. If it were up to me he would be back at Wisconsin next year, although I'm not a big fan of their coaching and I really like the coach the Habs have in Laval so perhaps it wouldn't be too bad to have him in Laval next year.

Yeah you basically named every good to decent team but I'd argue BC would be really not well off without Spencer Knight who has been phenomenal, BU is not any better than Wisco or Michigan who seem like Big Ten's worst teams, and then you still have four other teams who are basically not good still to go in Hockey East. Big Ten lacks those types of teams which is my point about the level of competition being higher... no 'off' weekends. Even Minnesota who was kind of struggling for example lifted themselves up against Wisconsin.

Yeah I don't think it would be bad but I think confidence is everything and I'm not sure signing to play in Laval would be best. I like 2 years at Wisco into one year in the A into trying him in the Habs top six in 2022 as it stands now.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yeah you basically named every good to decent team but I'd argue BC would be really not well off without Spencer Knight who has been phenomenal, BU is not any better than Wisco or Michigan who seem like Big Ten's worst teams, and then you still have four other teams who are basically not good still to go in Hockey East. Big Ten lacks those types of teams which is my point about the level of competition being higher... no 'off' weekends. Even Minnesota who was kind of struggling for example lifted themselves up against Wisconsin.

Yeah I don't think it would be bad but I think confidence is everything and I'm not sure signing to play in Laval would be best. I like 2 years at Wisco into one year in the A into trying him in the Habs top six in 2022 as it stands now.

I can't say about BU being better or not then Michigan since I haven't seen either team. Wisconsin lacks coaching, defense and goaltending so they aren't very impressive other then their offense. Having 4 very good teams plus BU, Maine is off to a better start, it's certainly looking like a good year for the Hockey East as the playoffs should be a blast.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I can't say about BU being better or not then Michigan since I haven't seen either team. Wisconsin lacks coaching, defense and goaltending so they aren't very impressive other then their offense. Having 4 very good teams plus BU, Maine is off to a better start, it's certainly looking like a good year for the Hockey East as the playoffs should be a blast.
It's crazy to me that a team with 3 really solid NTDP products on defense + other v solid depth guys, multiple high draft picks, two of which monopolized all-Big Ten preseason team top d pairing (Miller/Kalynuk) could be classified as being poor defensively but I can't disagree. I don't think it's a good year for Hockey East, it seems like a down year to me, but it is good that Umass, lowell, etc are making up for Comm ave (BU/BC) not dominating

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's crazy to me that a team with 3 really solid NTDP products on defense + other v solid depth guys, multiple high draft picks, two of which monopolized all-Big Ten preseason team top d pairing (Miller/Kalynuk) could be classified as being poor defensively but I can't disagree. I don't think it's a good year for Hockey East, it seems like a down year to me, but it is good that Umass, lowell, etc are making up for Comm ave (BU/BC) not dominating

coaching doesn't seem to be helping Wisconsin but they were terrible last year so it's a step up at least. BC seems pretty good this year but UMass is the team that impressed me the most, Northeastern isn't as good as last year without Primeau and Davies but still are a top 10 or so team in the NCAA, good balance and a top coach. Providence has a really sick top line, perhaps the best in the NCAA, they lost Hawkey in net but also have a really good coach imo. BC and BU I wouldn't count out just yet as we'll see in the 2nd half how they do.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
coaching doesn't seem to be helping Wisconsin but they were terrible last year so it's a step up at least. BC seems pretty good this year but UMass is the team that impressed me the most, Northeastern isn't as good as last year without Primeau and Davies but still are a top 10 or so team in the NCAA, good balance and a top coach. Providence has a really sick top line, perhaps the best in the NCAA, they lost Hawkey in net but also have a really good coach imo. BC and BU I wouldn't count out just yet as we'll see in the 2nd half how they do.
I'm not really counting them out but BU seems like a mess, they have a ton of talent but as a group it doesn't blow me away. Very similar to wisco. They're so young though they have the best chance to pull it together. BC is similar but I'm not remotely worried as long as Knight is in net. It's the rest of Hockey East that puts me to sleep, at least BU is fun to watch from a prospects perspective. Lowell might be my favorite team to watch, maybe the best 'team' in the same sense BU is one of the weakest 'teams'

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I follow Gopher hockey religiously and this didn't happen.

After the WJC performance, we all knew he would go but he never said I'm out.

This thread is about Caufield - it's awesome that you are an NCAA fan, but you were wrong on CC not being one and done, so perhaps consider that you don't have all the answers. Mittelstadt also has nothing to do with this thread.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
This thread is about Caufield - it's awesome that you are an NCAA fan, but you were wrong on CC not being one and done, so perhaps consider that you don't have all the answers. Mittelstadt also has nothing to do with this thread.
It would be great to see a better source on the Caufield note than:
"Well, he said himself earlier this year that he plans on only playing one season with Wisconsin before turning pro."

In 2019 this should be recorded or quoted directly somewhere.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
"Well, he said himself earlier this year that he plans on only playing one season with Wisconsin before turning pro."

I feel like I saw him remark to someone in the media that he would like to be able to play in the NHL next year but that he would see how it goes. Not sure though wish I had a link for you

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
What you've just said is very different than, "I will be at wisconsin for one year."

habbyboolin

Sep 14, 2018
Montréal
I would love more than anything for Cole to come in at the end of this season and make an impact, especially on the PP. I do worry about his ability to affect the game at 5-on-5 in the NHL this early though. He sure has the talent and has looked good for Wisconsin this year, but the NHL is a whole other animal. He has trouble with puck/board battles in the NCAA and his transition game isn’t there just yet. If he can come in, be a part of the system and not be too overwhelmed he could find success at the tail end of the year. But it could also be way too early. His growth towards the end of the year should hopefully give our management incentive to sign him but patience will be key with Cole. I wouldn’t mind him going back for another year at all.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Caufield veut jouer à Montréal dès avril - La Presse+

He spoke to the french newspaper Lapresse, and said
"My goal is to join the Canadiens at the end of the season if the team qualifies for the playoffs. "

"I want what Cale Makar did last year in Colorado. I’m aware he played two years of NCAA, but he had an immediate impact when he arrived. This is something I would like to do. But I have to show that I have my place, even if I am a first-round choice."

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Caufield veut jouer à Montréal dès avril - La Presse+

He spoke to the french newspaper Lapresse, and said
"My goal is to join the Canadiens at the end of the season if the team qualifies for the playoffs. "

"I want what Cale Makar did last year in Colorado. I’m aware he played two years of NCAA, but he had an immediate impact when he arrived. This is something I would like to do. But I have to show that I have my place, even if I am a first-round choice."
Oh thank god, so we know 100% we won't rush him up this year and continue the trend of ruining another prospect. I guess there is always next year for management to do that though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->