F Cole Caufield - Univ. of Wisconsin, NCAA (2019, 15th, MTL) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
His NCAA team look to be a mess and badly coached. I hope he goes to the CHL and play lot of games.

I highly doubt that happens. It sounds like he will go to the AHL but we'll see. I also wonder how safe the coaching staff at Wisconsin is, since we have another prospect there in Jack Gorniak. I admit while I follow the NCAA very closely (2nd to the AHL) I only follow the teams that have Hab prospects so I haven't followed Wisconsin since before last year in many years likely since the Ryan McDonagh days. But Wisconsin has looked terrible these past 2 seasons now, so I do wonder how safe the staff there is.

That said they were one of the youngest teams in the NCAA perhaps next year they could turn it around.

Reactions: Fixxer

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Caufield is going to meet with Bergevin this week to decide if he will turn pro or not. Laval is very banged up with injuries and call ups to the Habs, they could badly use him but we'll see what both sides want to do.

Reactions: deflowd

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I agree, but it was implied. I don’t know what Laval’s injuries have to do with what is the best decision for where Caufield should be developing next season.

because he's already said recently that he wants to join Laval, they are fighting for the playoffs so his addition would be most welcome.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
because he's already said recently that he wants to join Laval, they are fighting for the playoffs so his addition would be most welcome.

Really don't think that's the best option for him (turning pro), unless he open to possibly playing in the CHL next year.

The Greyhounds own his CHL rights, so I can't see him being willing to report there, eventhough they have good ownership. Perhaps a deal could be worked out with London, Kitchener, Oshawa etc.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Positives: Was a point per game player in freshman season at NCAA level.

Negatives: Caufield didnt dominate and a good case can be made that he struggled at times defensively. He struggled at WJC and was a minus player at Wisconsin on an underachieving team.

Overall: Unless you dominate at the NCAA level you arent ready for the pros IMO. Jack Eichel was ready. Cale Makar was ready. The Canadiens have stated they prefer him to stay another season at Wisconsin and I think thats the right call. I wouldnt give him the option of turning pro because his game still needs significant work on both ends of the ice. Another year in the gym and NCAA level competition would do him wonders and he would be ready to turn pro after next season...and he would be ready.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Positives: Was a point per game player in freshman season at NCAA level.

Negatives: Caufield didnt dominate and a good case can be made that he struggled at times defensively. He struggled at WJC and was a minus player at Wisconsin on an underachieving team.

Overall: Unless you dominate at the NCAA level you arent ready for the pros IMO. Jack Eichel was ready. Cale Makar was ready. The Canadiens have stated they prefer him to stay another season at Wisconsin and I think thats the right call. I wouldnt give him the option of turning pro because his game still needs significant work on both ends of the ice. Another year in the gym and NCAA level competition would do him wonders and he would be ready to turn pro after next season...and he would be ready.

Problem is Wisconsin looks like a poorly coached team, and it's kind of obvious when you watch a few of their games. People say Caufield needs to improve without the puck, and I think he did not improve that much this year in this aspect.

The pro route looks more promising to me, especially if that is the desire of the kid. Sign a tryout contract this week that allows him to play in the AHL for the remainder of the year, with the idea of signing his ELC on July 1st.

Kid gets to see firsthand what he needs to work on in the summer and gets a first contact with his environment for next year and the coaching staff/system. He'll be certainly allowed to participate in the U20 next year and assess his play against the best in his age group again. Since he's a pro, he'll also be able to participate in the big team rookie camp/pro camp this fall, which is a big + IMO.

Caufield was clear he was not interested in coming back 2 years in Wisconsin at the beginning of the year. Turcotte won't be back. Miller neither. No big influx of talent expected this year makes it likely team will be a bottom feeder again. Forcing him to go back could put strain on a relationship the team needs to cultivate.

Bergevin needs to be delicate here.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Problem is Wisconsin looks like a poorly coached team, and it's kind of obvious when you watch a few of their games. People say Caufield needs to improve without the puck, and I think he did not improve that much this year in this aspect.

The pro route looks more promising to me, especially if that is the desire of the kid. Sign a tryout contract this week that allows him to play in the AHL for the remainder of the year, with the idea of signing his ELC on July 1st.

Kid gets to see firsthand what he needs to work on in the summer and gets a first contact with his environment for next year and the coaching staff/system. He'll be certainly allowed to participate in the U20 next year and assess his play against the best in his age group again. Since he's a pro, he'll also be able to participate in the big team rookie camp/pro camp this fall, which is a big + IMO.

Caufield was clear he was not interested in coming back 2 years in Wisconsin at the beginning of the year. Turcotte won't be back. Miller neither. No big influx of talent expected this year makes it likely team will be a bottom feeder again. Forcing him to go back could put strain on a relationship the team needs to cultivate.

Bergevin needs to be delicate here.

You make valid points but Granato has a pretty impressive coaching pedigree. Bergevin stated himself that his preference was to have Cole return to Wisconsin so the must not be too concerned with the coaching at Wisconsin.

paddy

Aug 2, 2005
You make valid points but Granato has a pretty impressive coaching pedigree. Bergevin stated himself that his preference was to have Cole return to Wisconsin so the must not be too concerned with the coaching at Wisconsin.

He's not concerned with Julien's coaching in the NHL either... That should tell you everything about his judgement.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008

Does he?

Every team he joined went to shit.

Joined Colorado after their cup win in 02. Had a star studded lineup. Made the conference final once and lost.
Joined Pittsburgh after their cup win in 09. Had a star studded lineup. Made the conference final once and lost.
Joined Detroit and never got out of the first round of the playoffs.
Coached Team USA at multiple events and never won a medal.
Has brought Wisconsin to zero NCAA Tornaments and has one BIG10 final to his name.

Typically wherever he goes, his first year (riding off the coattails of previous success) is good, then its all downhill.

Reactions: montreal

WRC

Dec 15, 2019

Tony Granato coaching statistics:
62-72-12, .466 thru 4 seasons at UW:
2016-17 record: 20-15-1
2017-18 record: 14-19-4
2018-19 record: 14-18-5
2019-20 record: 14-20-2

In my view, here's the single most significant stat (out of 60 teams):
'17 3.28ga (46th)
'18 3.35ga (49th)
'19 3.51ga (53rd)
'20 3.75ga (57th)

I don't know what your idea is of an impressive coaching pedigree, but I sure hope this isn't it. Looks like he needs a different system, perhaps one that involves play at both ends of the ice.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Does he?

Every team he joined went to shit.

Joined Colorado after their cup win in 02. Had a star studded lineup. Made the conference final once and lost.
Joined Pittsburgh after their cup win in 09. Had a star studded lineup. Made the conference final once and lost.
Joined Detroit and never got out of the first round of the playoffs.
Coached Team USA at multiple events and never won a medal.
Has brought Wisconsin to zero NCAA Tornaments and has one BIG10 final to his name.

Typically wherever he goes, his first year (riding off the coattails of previous success) is good, then its all downhill.

Are there many more NCAA coaches with a better pedigree though? NHL player, NHL asst coach, NHL head coach, Team USA coach....

Reactions: tealhockey

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Im telling you guys
If you ask anyone who is very familiar with college hockey who the most disappointing team was this year people will say wisconsin without much hesitation.

Granato gets a HUGE portion of that blame.
Take a PP for instance. He puts K'Andre Miller as the net front presence :huh:
Even if you see his logic in that with the big body,
but then he proceeds to put him as a Bumper on the power play, for those who dont know what that is, it is the guy who stands in the middle of the opponents PK box. Why he thought that Miller would be suited for that role is..........
Caufield is trying to create space for himself so he passes it to the bumper and Miller fumbles it in his skates, PP ruined. That's not a knock against miller or caufield, just weird deployment.
It reminded me of of when BU made Brady Tkachuk the PP QB and a sidewall player when he should have been a net front presence.

They were middle of the nation in possession, but really not great 5v5
he got desperate after they couldn't win a weekend series and started blending the lines.

I dont know how wisconsin went from a team that was supposed to be up and coming in the B1G 10 last year 5th overall and had some promise to dead last in the B1G 10 by a substantial margin.
That is coaching.
Michigan lost its entire top pairing d-core and 2 members of their 1st line.

Last edited:

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Im telling you guys
If you ask anyone who is very familiar with college hockey who the most disappointing team was this year people will say wisconsin without much hesitation.

Granato gets a HUGE portion of that blame.
Take a PP for instance. He puts K'Andre Miller as the net front presence :huh::huh:
Even if you see his logic in that with the big body,
but then he proceeds to put him as a Bumper on the power play, for those who dont know what that is, it is the guy who stands in the middle of the opponents PK box. Why he thought that Miller would be suited for that role is..........
Caufield is trying to create space for himself so he passes it to the bumper and Miller fumbles it in his skates, PP ruined. That's not a knock against miller or caufield, just weird deployment.
It reminded me of of when BU made Brady Tkachuk the PP QB and a sidewall player when he should have been a net front presence.

They were middle of the nation in possession, but really not great 5v5
he got desperate after they couldn't win a weekend series and started blending the lines.

I dont know how wisconsin went from a team that was supposed to be up and coming in the B1G 10 last year 5th overall and had some promise to dead last in the B1G 10 by a substantial margin.
That is coaching.
Michigan lost its entire top pairing d-core and 2 members of their 1st line.

Or selfish players that are playing for the name on the back and just want individual stats so they can hit the road faster....

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Pretty sure you won't be seeing a high profile first rounder sign his ELC without burning that first season in the spring, after his NCAA season ends.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Pretty sure you won't be seeing a high profile first rounder sign his ELC without burning that first season in the spring, after his NCAA season ends.
No way Montreal lets him play 10 games with the big club.

If he wants to turn pro, it's AHL or nothing. Won't burn a year this year.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
No way Montreal lets him play 10 games with the big club.

If he wants to turn pro, it's AHL or nothing. Won't burn a year this year.
Know what? I think I got my wires crossed somewhere. After looking at similar cases, the PTO with Laval doesn't appear out of the ordinary at all.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Or selfish players that are playing for the name on the back and just want individual stats so they can hit the road faster....

That's still on Granato. He recruited these 'selfish' players.

Imo UW's season can be summed up in 3 words. Lack of accountability.
They showed flashes here and there; but, all in all, they didn't grow, didn't develop as a team and kept making the same mistakes over and over ad nauseam.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Cole Caufield has informed University of Wisconsin head coach Tony Granato that he plans on returning next year, per Todd Milewski.

Good call, just hope that Granato can get his program out of shambles...

Last edited:
Reactions: Steeler23

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
This should be interesting.
Wisconsin's incoming class is really underwhelming, and even that's being generous.

still wouldn't be surprised to see him go to the CHL

Reactions: Steeler23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->