F@ck COVID.....Positive Outlook to 2020/2021 OHL Season

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Please explain the Sarnia pick? Is that with your heart or with your head?

They just need the right coaching staff behind the bench. They have 2 potential 100+ point guys in Rees and Perreault if they stay disciplined/healthy. Roth will be 80+ then with Bitten/Guy/Voit/Namestnikov, you should get 50-70 points for each of them. They have a high import pick that could translate quite well if all goes well in that draft. On the blueline you have a 20 year old in Straits and 4 very steady 19 years olds in Reesor, Kammerer, Hjorth and Nolet. Then in net you got a great 1/2 punch in Gaudreau and Langevin who both faced over 40+ in bsacially every game they played last year. Both will take big steps this year.

BUT, like i said...without a new and capable coaching staff behind the bench, this team will keep playing well below standard. Product is there but there's a big dummy behind the bench.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Isn't that "big dummy behind the bench" also an owner?
Yeah, but there’s been a lot of talk of him stepping down as coach and maybe owner next year. Sarnia could use an upgrade or two on the blue line but with the right coach, there is potential for them to be very good next year.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Yeah, but there’s been a lot of talk of him stepping down as coach and maybe owner next year. Sarnia could use an upgrade or two on the blue line but with the right coach, there is potential for them to be very good next year.

Goaltending is their biggest question mark to me. How many goalies go from .890 save % in their rookie year to .910 save % in their 2nd year? And it'll be all of last years defence in front of him again next year.

Gaudreau will be very good in this league but he's going to need to be really, really good next year for them to be a top 2 seed in their division and I don't think that's realistic for a sophomore goalie to be able to do that, this early. And Langevin is closer to an OJHL goalie than he is an OHL star. Career .875 save % in 80 games, that's barely OHL level in a ton of sample size

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Goaltending is their biggest question mark to me. How many goalies go from .890 save % in their rookie year to .910 save % in their 2nd year? And it'll be all of last years defence in front of him again next year.

Gaudreau will be very good in this league but he's going to need to be really, really good next year for them to be a top 2 seed in their division and I don't think that's realistic for a sophomore goalie to be able to do that, this early. And Langevin is closer to an OJHL goalie than he is an OHL star. Career .875 save % in 80 games, that's barely OHL level in a ton of sample size
I see A LOT of Flint 18-19 to 19-20 in Sarnia. They had quite a few big time injuries and some bonehead suspension issues but they spent most of the season running around like they had NO coach on the bench. Those goalies were shelled with high quality chances. I could see similar to Cavallin going from an .864 to .895 type deal out of one or both. Langevin and Gaudreau looked as good as Kooy in net for them the games I saw (8 last year). You probably have a better idea than me on Kooy’s performance last year. I only saw him 2 maybe 3 times. I ain’t saying those two will lead Sarnia to the MC but they are better than those numbers show. I used to light up when Sarnia would start Langevin knowing it was gonna be 4-5-6 goals quick and then next goalie up but as the season went on he started to look decent but it’s hard to get 15 highlight reel saves out of a kid every night. Tough division next year though, so I wouldn’t be shocked to see them come in 4th or 5th but still make the playoffs which I expect they will.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I see A LOT of Flint 18-19 to 19-20 in Sarnia. They had quite a few big time injuries and some bonehead suspension issues but they spent most of the season running around like they had NO coach on the bench. Those goalies were shelled with high quality chances. I could see similar to Cavallin going from an .864 to .895 type deal out of one or both. Langevin and Gaudreau looked as good as Kooy in net for them the games I saw (8 last year). You probably have a better idea than me on Kooy’s performance last year. I only saw him 2 maybe 3 times. I ain’t saying those two will lead Sarnia to the MC but they are better than those numbers show. I used to light up when Sarnia would start Langevin knowing it was gonna be 4-5-6 goals quick and then next goalie up but as the season went on he started to look decent but it’s hard to get 15 highlight reel saves out of a kid every night. Tough division next year though, so I wouldn’t be shocked to see them come in 4th or 5th but still make the playoffs which I expect they will.

Just looking at their roster I think it would make more sense to potentially trade Rees for a huge return and then go all-in the following year when Gaudreau is one of the best goalies in the league, Perreault is a 100+ point guy and Namestnikov is ready to be a real contributor. The other problem for Sarnia is they don't have a ton of picks (3 2nds in the next 5 drafts) but trading Rees would change that. Like many other teams, it'll all depend on what kind of start they get off to I'm sure

Reactions: EvenSteven

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
They just need the right coaching staff behind the bench. They have 2 potential 100+ point guys in Rees and Perreault if they stay disciplined/healthy. Roth will be 80+ then with Bitten/Guy/Voit/Namestnikov, you should get 50-70 points for each of them. They have a high import pick that could translate quite well if all goes well in that draft. On the blueline you have a 20 year old in Straits and 4 very steady 19 years olds in Reesor, Kammerer, Hjorth and Nolet. Then in net you got a great 1/2 punch in Gaudreau and Langevin who both faced over 40+ in bsacially every game they played last year. Both will take big steps this year.

BUT, like i said...without a new and capable coaching staff behind the bench, this team will keep playing well below standard. Product is there but there's a big dummy behind the bench.
Last year, only two 2003s were able to get over 40 points in the entire league.. none over 50pts. Shane Wright the only one to get over 50pts but as an exceptional player he’s an exception..

To just assume “you should get” 50-70pts from Namestnikov is a bit much. Those other 3 guys have also never gotten over 40pts in their career

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Last year, only two 2003s were able to get over 40 points in the entire league.. none over 50pts. Shane Wright the only one to get over 50pts but as an exceptional player he’s an exception..

To just assume “you should get” 50-70pts from Namestnikov is a bit much. Those other 3 guys have also never gotten over 40pts in their career

It's a projection. Bitten, Guy, Voit go from bottom 6 minuets last year to top 6 this year. Another year older, another year of experience, a ton more ice time, PP time and the numbers will come with it. I'd be shocked if those 3 do not end up over 50 points. Namestnikov is a wild card i know but he will be given every chance to play along side Rees/Perreault.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
It's a projection. Bitten, Guy, Voit go from bottom 6 minuets last year to top 6 this year. Another year older, another year of experience, a ton more ice time, PP time and the numbers will come with it. I'd be shocked if those 3 do not end up over 50 points. Namestnikov is a wild card i know but he will be given every chance to play along side Rees/Perreault.
There is a lot of “ifs” and projections which any team can basically say in the Western conference this year.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Please explain the Sarnia pick? Is that with your heart or with your head?
I think SAR/SAG/SSM/WSR are all rather close. I give Windsor the edge over all 3 then it's super tight with the other 3.

As for Sarnia. I think they have 2 elite forwards in Rees/Perreault, Roth is a really solid T6 Forward, should get solid steps forward from Voit, Guy, Bitten who were already solid middle 6 Fs & hopefully 1or2 of Hill, Burke, O'Donnell take a step.

On D while they SUCKED (all caps is needed lol) last season they did miss Arguably there best Dman all season in Reesor, Stratis was a nice addition & they'll have him from the get go which'll be big. Nolet who was really good enters his 2nd yr, Hjorth 2nd yr in North America & will have another NHL training camp.

While Gaudreau & Langevin's stats dont look good a massive part of that is on the team. I would bet a good amount of $$ Gaudreau would've had a 0.900 + on a solid defensive team.

As mentioned above rumours are swirling here Hatcher is out. To be blunt he is a horrific coach. This was a playoff team with an actual head coach. 0 adjustments made all season, sitting players who deserve to play, odd goalie decisions & overall poor in game decisions.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I think SAR/SAG/SSM/WSR are all rather close. I give Windsor the edge over all 3 then it's super tight with the other 3.

As for Sarnia. I think they have 2 elite forwards in Rees/Perreault, Roth is a really solid T6 Forward, should get solid steps forward from Voit, Guy, Bitten who were already solid middle 6 Fs & hopefully 1or2 of Hill, Burke, O'Donnell take a step.

On D while they SUCKED (all caps is needed lol) last season they did miss Arguably there best Dman all season in Reesor, Stratis was a nice addition & they'll have him from the get go which'll be big. Nolet who was really good enters his 2nd yr, Hjorth 2nd yr in North America & will have another NHL training camp.

While Gaudreau & Langevin's stats dont look good a massive part of that is on the team. I would bet a good amount of $$ Gaudreau would've had a 0.900 + on a solid defensive team.

As mentioned above rumours are swirling here Hatcher is out. To be blunt he is a horrific coach. This was a playoff team with an actual head coach. 0 adjustments made all season, sitting players who deserve to play, odd goalie decisions & overall poor in game decisions.
A proper system in place & they should be a solid defensive team with 2 solid goalies (potentially 1 great one) & an offense that can score at a high clip.

Obviously like every team there are ifs. For Sarnia #1 is Hatcher leaving & getting a solid coach in place, #2 is the import draft. 7th overall pick could be massive. If it is a top end F or a top end D that is huge. Lastly would be who takes a step forward. But every team has that last one.

Just my opinion. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if SAG/SSM were to do better. I just think with a real coach this team is a whole helluva lot better than they showed.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Just my opinion. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if SAG/SSM were to do better. I just think with a real coach this team is a whole helluva lot better than they showed.
You sound like every Erie and Windsor fan out there. “We need a new coach”

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
You sound like every Erie and Windsor can our there. “We need a new coach”
Yep haha. Can't speak for either team i just know it was bad in Sarnia. Things floated around during the season that were just baffling.

Reactions: NOA

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Sarnia will be 5th in their own division. Sorry dude.
Your entitled to your own opinion. I would be stunned if we did worse than Flint. There depth at F especially at centre is terrible. Defense is legit but could definitely see them move one to get some assets. Cavallin a big ? In net.

Saginaw lost a ton also. Coskey, Busdeker, Webb, Wilde, Solovyov. Potentially Giroux as well. Goldowski, Katic, Jenkins, King, Frappier all OAs.

Suzuki/Perfetti is obviously a lethallll duo but the depth on forward is meh & on D it isn't the best. Lennox also has to take the step ppl thought he would this yr

Reactions: NOA

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Your entitled to your own opinion. I would be stunned if we did worse than Flint. There depth at F especially at centre is terrible. Defense is legit but could definitely see them move one to get some assets. Cavallin a big ? In net.

Saginaw lost a ton also. Coskey, Busdeker, Webb, Wilde, Solovyov. Potentially Giroux as well. Goldowski, Katic, Jenkins, King, Frappier all OAs.

Suzuki/Perfetti is obviously a lethallll duo but the depth on forward is meh & on D it isn't the best. Lennox also has to take the step ppl thought he would this yr

I think every team in the west division can be pretty good this season if willing to add.
But stunned if worse than Flint? They could start the season with 6 F, 3 D, G aged 19-20 comprised of 4-1sts, 3-2nds, 2 imports, and a 4th pick; and, still have two of the better OA D to trade off for extra picks. The terrible depth F will consist of an ‘02-1st, ‘03-1st, 2nd, & 3rd, and ‘04-1st. That team is built to win now.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMCx4

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Sarnia GM stepped down today. Seems like a bit of a shitshow to me.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I like Sarnia's lineup next season. I don't think they'll be amazing, but as long as they can find some stability in the front office/behind the bench they should be a decent team. up front with Perreault and Rees leading the way with some real good depth behind them (Roth, Guy, Bitten, Voit, Tabak) and a nice 16 year old add in Max Namestnikov.

their defence needs some improving but Eric Hjorth is a good start and in net I think we all expect Ben Gaudreau to take a step in the right direction this year

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I like Sarnia's lineup next season. I don't think they'll be amazing, but as long as they can find some stability in the front office/behind the bench they should be a decent team. up front with Perreault and Rees leading the way with some real good depth behind them (Roth, Guy, Bitten, Voit, Tabak) and a nice 16 year old add in Max Namestnikov.

their defence needs some improving but Eric Hjorth is a good start and in net I think we all expect Ben Gaudreau to take a step in the right direction this year

They traded Tabak to Barrie last year

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I think every team in the west division can be pretty good this season if willing to add.
But stunned if worth than Flint? They could start the season with 6 F, 3 D, G aged 19-20 comprised of 4-1sts, 3-2nds, 2 imports, and a 4th pick; and, still have two of the better OA D to trade off for extra picks. The terrible depth F will consist of an ‘02-1st, ‘03-1st, 2nd, & 3rd, and ‘04-1st. That team is built to win now.
I think it’s the entire Western Conference yet again that has a deep conference. Some teams will perform better than we expect while others will underachieve but no denying that about 7-8 teams in the West could finish just about anywhere in the conference.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
For the majority of the season many of us were wanting to see Cavallin get the starting job over Popovich and he did outplay Popovich for stretches. At the end though, Cavallin was struggling with a groin injury and Popovich was really coming around while also handling an overload of minutes. I think Cavallin if healthy will be a slight upgrade in net next year. BUG though....? Durham’s numbers look better than his play. He was getting a ton of time ES and PP with Dellandrea and/or the top line. Late in the year he had worked his way down to the 4th line and when promoted back up the lineup occasionally, he didn’t do much with it. They played a good chunk of the season without Dellandrea and did well without him but he was sorely missed in the faceoff circle. Even he spent a good portion of the season as a 1.00-1.25 PPG player that hovered around even +/- and looked disinterested. He’ll surely be missed though and Tucker will be a major loss. They’re gonna have to move an OA too. If they make a really good move or two regarding the OA and remaining picks though, they can be back in the thick of it no problem. Theres quite a few top end players returning and I expect them to compete for a top 2 Division spot but I honestly don’t see them having the roster AND draft pick stockpile to be a threat in the final four though.....unless Branch really pulls off some magic.
Popovich was the far superior goaltender. Never knew what we were going to get with Cavallin. Still think we will need to pursue a veteran goalie for this upcoming season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Interesting picks......having a non-playoff team with a goalie tandem that has a total of 8 wins between them winning the whole enchilada would be very cool.....far fetched but cool.

They have the most draft ranked players in the entire CHL and probably the best 01 class in the O as things stand right now. Their shot differential was close to the best in the league last year and that's a really strong indicator of future success.

The goaltending is certainly the big concern as you mentioned. Last year's performance was one of the worst in league history from a statistical standpoint. The hope is that Malik can live up to the potential that makes him a top 5 goalie prospect in this summer's NHL draft.

Overall the division will go to Windsor in my opinion, but it will be close. The other 3 teams in the division aren't on the same level right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->