F Charlie Stramel - Michigan State University, NCAA (2023, 21st, MIN)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Big power forward who does a little of everything. He can skate, he has good hands around the net, he battles in front of net, has a good amount of skill and has a nice two way game. He stood out in the first YOG match for the USA. He's a late 2004 birthday, so he's a 2023 draft eligible.

Charlie Stramel at eliteprospects.com

Hockey IQ is always the question for these man child players though.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Hockey IQ is always the question for these man child players though.

Agreed although I haven't seen him play.

i'm always reminded of a Vancouver giants game against Portland with a 15 year old Paul Bittner, who simply didn't really get any better since that age.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I continue to believe this guy has really high upside.

He's a giant out there at 6'3 200+ already, and he skates really well. He's also an elite stickhandler for a player his size. He's physical and goes to the net. At worst, he's probably a toolsy power forward who can play on a second or third line and show some offense.

But I do think he could have big offensive upside. I've seen him make some passes this season that I didn't see him make a year ago. I'm not sure I would say I think his playmaking or goal-scoring is elite, but I do think both have good upside, and I don't think its unrealistic that he could be a 60+ point type of guy in the NHL. There's usually a hockey sense question with these toolsy power forwards. I don't think it looks like a big strength, but I still have yet to see any issues with his hockey sense. He's played some center this year. I don't know if he'll stick at center, but I didn't see any reason so far that he couldn't be a center.

I don't know if there's a good comparison for him. There aren't many 6'3 200+ players who skate and stick-handle like he can. And even fewer who play center. He's a 2023 draft-eligible player, so its going to be a few years until he's picked and he has plenty of time to develop. I can't see him being much lower than a late first round pick with the tools he has, but if he can put it all together between now and then, I think top five isn't unrealistic.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This will be why he'll be a very high pick in 2023. I struggle to think of many comparisons. There are so few guys that big who skate like that, play center, and have skill. The best comparisons may be to players like Byfield/Eric Staal.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
NTDP medical team should be on the hot seat. There’s a top prospect injured for multiple months before any games are played seemingly every season and last season was a disaster with all the injuries.

Reactions: Robert Ball

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
NTDP medical team should be on the hot seat. There’s a top prospect injured for multiple months before any games are played seemingly every season and last season was a disaster with all the injuries.
https://mobile.twitter.com/coreypronman/status/1438241224134066179

Not arguing with you, but who are some others that have missed time before the season starts? I can’t imagine the NTDP med staff would be on the hot seat, they wouldn’t make up injuries

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not arguing with you, but who are some others that have missed time before the season starts? I can’t imagine the NTDP med staff would be on the hot seat, they wouldn’t make up injuries

Lucius was injured to start the season last season. Smilanic the season before that. Turcotte the one before that. Wise the one before that. Last season had an unprecedented amount of injuries that derailed the season for both age groups.

I know injuries are going to happen, but it’s not only bad luck when you have this many injuries. Management, teaching, instruction, supervision, treatment from the medical team all go into a team suffering a lot of injuries. I don’t think it’s all about luck. The teams that always have a lot of injuries have their medical teams partially to blame.

Reactions: Robert Ball

The Puckhound

Jan 24, 2019
Hat-trick tonight against Madison in one of his first games back. Definitely seems to have a ton of upside. Good skill and skating and uses his size well

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
First of the tournament for Rig. Also has two assists. Hard to stand out on such a star studded team, but he’ll be the first American picked next year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Does Stramel project as a center? Elite Prospects and HockeyDB just list him as a forward right now.
It’s not clear yet. He plays center, but I could see why a team might not think he’s a center. He’s more of a net front guy and goal scorer than playmaker or perimeter facilitator.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
There are still 2 cuts to make IIRC to get down to 25 but sure looks like he has made the USA summer WJC team and is the only first-time 2023 draft eligible to make Team USA and the only other North American that can say the same is Bedard. It appears he centered Duran and Savage on a pain-in-the-rear line in the Finland exhibition. Duran has made the team and Savage scored.

Stramel is a man child and after a lot of the '23 draft eligibles had a chance to soak in the spotlight during the Hlinka Cup - I'm excited for Stramel to be playing with the big boys and to get a chance to develop some hype because the upside is big. He'll have two WJC tournaments in six months and be playing Big Ten hockey. I don't expect he will be a huge scoresheet influencer on this summer team but I think it'll be pretty cool to see how far he's progressed come the winter tournament.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The last US player to play two WJC's before being drafted at their first time eligible was Auston Matthews.

I know the circumstances are unique this time around, so it wouldn't be the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad