F Cameron MacDonald - Sioux Falls Stampede, USHL (2021, 160th, TBL)

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Cameron MacDonald at eliteprospects.com

I saw this kid listed as a potential first rounder next year, can someone tell me more about him?

He set the record for goals in NS major bantam a few years ago, mind you the league is only like 8 or 9 years old.

Big and strong, power fwd type with some skills to go with it. Haven't seen much of him since he left for the states but he was noticeable at canada games. Didn't make Canada U17s (3 teams) which was a bit surprising, but how much of that has to do with him going south of the boarder 'm not sure

Reactions: Tube Skates

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Interesting prospect. Lived just up the corner from me. Lost track of him but looks like he had a nice first year in the states. Now playing for a low scoring Stampede team it would be interesting to hear from somebody that has watched him this year to hear how he’s played

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
They're going to be very exciting to watch. I expect them to draft Hopkins with the 3rd overall pick and wouldn't be surprised to see them draft Nause who played on the same USHL team as MacDonald. Would be literally insane.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
They're going to be very exciting to watch. I expect them to draft Hopkins with the 3rd overall pick and wouldn't be surprised to see them draft Nause who played on the same USHL team as MacDonald. Would be literally insane.

I wouldn't be shocked if they entertain the idea of trading the pick or moving down in the draft. Anyone they take at the 3rd spot is looking like a 3rd/4th liner or a 6/7th dman on their roster. They are certainly in position to start thinking win-now as opposed to looking 3 years ahead.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
There is actually an active poster on here who coached him for two years including the year he broke the record. I'm sure he could chime in here.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I wouldn't be shocked if they entertain the idea of trading the pick or moving down in the draft. Anyone they take at the 3rd spot is looking like a 3rd/4th liner or a 6/7th dman on their roster. They are certainly in position to start thinking win-now as opposed to looking 3 years ahead.

On the flip side a 3rd overall pick is a solid player already next season, however it's true that ice time will be difficult to get for sure.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Haven't read much about MacDonald but he did score 10 goals in 30 games in his first QMJHL season and had four more goals in six playoff games.

Is that just the result of playing on a strong team or is there something here?

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
He actually played much better than his numbers. Kid has some grit to his game. There’s a lot to like. SJ was not close to being a good team last year

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
MacDonald did not have top 6 opportunities this year. On a team that wasn't a tirefire like Saint John, he likely would have been a point per game guy in my opinion. There are a lot of tools there.

Reactions: Tube Skates

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Is this for real his first page? Considering how hot he was back in Major Bantam I thought he was noticed! lol EDIT: he indeed has a page but whatever F Cameron MacDonald - Sioux Falls Stampede, USHL, (2021 Draft)

It was a rough summer for him because of covid, playing USHL then jumping on to a QMJHL team can hurt your development progress also. He plays much better than his numbers, New Brunswick kept jumping in and out of outbreaks which prevented games to be played at a good pace, and he only got to play a few teams.

He'll have a great summer this year and will be hot guaranteed. I still expect many teams pass on him until the 5th or 6th rounds but still has the assets to be a future NHLer.

I only got to see him with the Halifax Gulls back in 2018 but I'm seen footage of him he's going to be great.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
From the video from early 20-21 season that is posted on Elite Prospects it appears that his skating needs quite a bit of work. Can be fixed, but looks nowhere near what you would expect for an early draft pick. Might be an interesting late round project player.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Is this for real his first page? Considering how hot he was back in Major Bantam I thought he was noticed! lol EDIT: he indeed has a page but whatever F Cameron MacDonald - Sioux Falls Stampede, USHL, (2021 Draft)

It was a rough summer for him because of covid, playing USHL then jumping on to a QMJHL team can hurt your development progress also. He plays much better than his numbers, New Brunswick kept jumping in and out of outbreaks which prevented games to be played at a good pace, and he only got to play a few teams.

He'll have a great summer this year and will be hot guaranteed. I still expect many teams pass on him until the 5th or 6th rounds but still has the assets to be a future NHLer.

I only got to see him with the Halifax Gulls back in 2018 but I'm seen footage of him he's going to be great.

I remember there being another Cam Macdonald thread because i'm pretty sure i made it.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
He made a nice transition this season to play a more pro type of game, better two-way game and compete level.

I was surprised by how physical he was this year. Kind of went from a skill / shooter type to a more well rounded player. I think he has more offense than what he showed this year though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad