F Bulat Shafigullin - Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk, KHL (2018, 82nd, LAK)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The game, where Bulat scored a hat trick. He's #91, look at him at 1:03:00, when he got a minor on him and then scored. And his 3rd goal is at 1:23:09. He's 2nd in scoring in the MHL, btw. 9+4 after 10 games, and he's just 17 yo.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So he's from the South Western region of Russia? Is hockey popular in the South Western Russian territories?

I was watching a TV show and they were showing Chechnyan MMA. They interviewed the leader of the area, he wasn't even dressed up like a normal President, he was wearing a T-shirt, big beard, absolutely jacked, seemed a very interesting story and area, although they did show how the area oppressed gays, so thats pretty terrible. They showed how the men in that region double in the army and MMA. Looked very hot, as well. Didn't look like a hockey region.

Do those areas play hockey or is Russia a country where what sport you play is dependent on region, whether its hockey, football, MMA, basketball. Sorry if its a random question, but I was interested after I saw this, and I don't really know Russian people to ask, so I thought this seemed kind-of related, why not ask?

deejb

Nov 12, 2016
So he's from the South Western region of Russia?
Is hockey popular in the South Western Russian territories?

I was watching a TV show and they were showing Chechnyan MMA.
He is from Tatarstan. Well, technically it's western region of Russia, but between Tatarstan and Chechnya 2000 km. Like between Chicago and LA. And Chechens isn't Turkiс people.
Yes, popular sports vary from region to region. Hockey is very popular in the Urals and in the Volga region (including Tatarstan). The wrestling is popular in the Caucasus (Dagestan, Chechnya etc).

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So he's from the South Western region of Russia? Is hockey popular in the South Western Russian territories?

I was watching a TV show and they were showing Chechnyan MMA. They interviewed the leader of the area, he wasn't even dressed up like a normal President, he was wearing a T-shirt, big beard, absolutely jacked, seemed a very interesting story and area, although they did show how the area oppressed gays, so thats pretty terrible. They showed how the men in that region double in the army and MMA. Looked very hot, as well. Didn't look like a hockey region.

Do those areas play hockey or is Russia a country where what sport you play is dependent on region, whether its hockey, football, MMA, basketball. Sorry if its a random question, but I was interested after I saw this, and I don't really know Russian people to ask, so I thought this seemed kind-of related, why not ask?

Reaktor is an MHL team of Neftekhimik. It's from Nizhnekamsk, Tatarstan oil center.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Bulat means steel in Turkic languages. He's Tatar, like Yakupov.
If you do something, do it properly. Obviously Bulat is originally no turkic name AND word. Steel is not bulat in turkic languages. The name does mean steel, but derives from Persia from the word pulad. Muslim people in Russia just borrowed it, but it is not turkic.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

How would you come to that conclusion? To answer the second question there are attempts in some Caucasus regions to develop a hockey program, because no, oroginally there is no hockey culture there.

I was watching a TV show and they were showing Chechnyan MMA. They interviewed the leader of the area, he wasn't even dressed up like a normal President, he was wearing a T-shirt, big beard, absolutely jacked, seemed a very interesting story and area, although they did show how the area oppressed gays, so thats pretty terrible.

If you want to be informed about Russia you have to leave out the western documentraies by now. They amount of lies and propaganda about Russia is remarkable lately. That's the times we live in sadly. Chechnya is in the Caucasus. There are two things that define the region cultrally: Islam and wrestling, thus the popularity of MMA. Wrestling is a religion there. Kadyrov, Chechnya and gay rights is a story for a different board.

They showed how the men in that region double in the army and MMA. Looked very hot, as well. Didn't look like a hockey region.

It is not. I guess it would be a hard task to find a hockey rink there for now. As I wrote there are soem efforts now, but very vague yet. It is for now statements by some government officials that would want to develop hockey in the region.

Sochi has hockey now as you probabaly know. Using the Olympics as a kick start they are trying to popularize hockey there with a KHL team. The ranks look terribly empty at times(but then againit was summer and hot weather. I guess a part of fans at Sochi games are people who are there on vacation or business trips or whatever form other hockey regions. I know I would go to watch a KHL game there given the oportunity. But if you have a choice between a sunny beach and hockey... Let's see hw the ranks look in winter). But then again some Atizona of Florida games were a similar picture. I am joking now they should get all them young Armenians ho are now in the MHL or KHL and send them down to Sochi to popularize hockey. A vast part of the population of Sochi and the area are armenian in fact.

Russia is a big country. There is an obvious relation between region and sports popularity. Obviously hockey is not that popular or developed in the south. As I wrote there are such regional specialtie like wrestling in the Caucasus. Then there are such ocasions like Belgorod. Not really big for Russia with only 400K ppl the city has one of the most renowned voleyball teams, probably one of the best teams in the world(Russia has a strong voleyball league with some top notch foreign players too) that won the russian championship a record setting 8 times. Aside from that they have a MHL team btw. So yes, there is regional emphasis, but Russia is very diverse. There so many factors. Most of them have traditional roots though.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
1+1 game and 11+7 after 13 games. Good for 1-3 place in scoring, but he's played 3 games less than other two guys. And of course, he's younger, than they.

His goal at 1:03:04, nothing especial, but goal is goal.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Well, he's missed a few MHL games, because been called to the KHL team Neftekhimik and already played one game, alas no points. Of course, his TOI was just 2:39.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I really don't get to see European players as much as I should (my viewings are mostly limited to international tournaments) so I was wondering if someone could tell me what's up with Shafigullin? Seems as though he hasn't played recently... is he sitting in the press boxes for the KHL team? Injured?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I really don't get to see European players as much as I should (my viewings are mostly limited to international tournaments) so I was wondering if someone could tell me what's up with Shafigullin? Seems as though he hasn't played recently... is he sitting in the press boxes for the KHL team? Injured?

It's hard to say, he is neither in the KHL nor MHL. Probably injured. It's weird, though, considering he had around 4 min/game.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
By age he's draft eligible, but I noticed that he's not listed as a prospect for the 2018 draft on EP, nor was he in the CSS ''players to watch'' list. Is this just an oversight or did he not opt in to the draft?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It looks like he was injured, because he played in Neftekhimik's last game... 2 min. I still think it's better to play 20+ min/night in the MHL, than 2 min in the KHL. Of course, he's probably paid way better in the KHL, but still.

blooptoast

Nov 17, 2017
11 Games in the KHL and no points. Can't say they gave him much of a chance with 3:40 toi/g though, then again perhaps he didn't earn the minutes. Either way his numbers in the MHL are fantastic, now with 14g 11a in 16 games played.

You have to ask to what extent is he the product of his teammates however, with Khafizov (1.34ppg), Timirov (1.19ppg), and Khisamutdinov (1.12ppg) all in the top ten of MHL scoring, as well as Khasanov (1.24ppg) contributing as well. Still, you can't ignore a 1.56ppg as a draft eligible player in the MHL, those numbers are sensational.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
11 Games in the KHL and no points. Can't say they gave him much of a chance with 3:40 toi/g though, then again perhaps he didn't earn the minutes. Either way his numbers in the MHL are fantastic, now with 14g 11a in 16 games played.

You have to ask to what extent is he the product of his teammates however, with Khafizov (1.34ppg), Timirov (1.19ppg), and Khisamutdinov (1.12ppg) all in the top ten of MHL scoring, as well as Khasanov (1.24ppg) contributing as well. Still, you can't ignore a 1.56ppg as a draft eligible player in the MHL, those numbers are sensational.

Every KHL team has to have one U19 and one U20 players on the roster. So I think Dirty Naz (Nazarov, Neftekhimik's head coach) doesn't care about Bulat's TOI and development. And he wasn't anybody's product in the MHL, he played on the different line, than most of those guys. As far as I understand, they are Reaktor's 1st line, and Shafigullin played on the 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad