F Brady Tkachuk (2018, 4th, OTT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Really like him as a prospect, he has everything you look for in a forward to be honest. I think his stock would be so much higher if he could play center, rather than being a winger. If we could play center teams would be drooling over him. His skill set would be so rare from a center position that I think he would be the clear cut #2 prospect.

If he was a center we would be hearing the straight across comparisons to Getzlaf in my opinion and people wouldn't be talking about his last name being the only reason. He actually has some center qualities to him, but to me that is just his high end hockey IQ. He is a powerful man with very soft hands and the tighter it gets the more comfortable he seems. He makes filthy in tight plays and he does them repetitively. He was dominant from the WJC forward, BU isn't a bad roster by any means and he was their best player in almost every game I saw this year.

Svechnikov is pretty special in my opinion so it is hard to say what that changes. I fully believe Brady Tkachuk is #2 on some teams actual board anyway.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Lots of love for Matthew now.. pre-Draft not so much. Matthew is a good player... Maybe Brady won't be as good but he'll still be good and he is still a rare combination of skill, IQ and ferocity we don't see very often. He belongs in the top 5

It is likely to be the same with Brady in my opinion.

Oh I thought he was overrated, guess not...

The Tkachuk brothers are really good at hockey.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Based only on his offensive production, where would he go?

You mean a rookie 5 pts away from leading his team in pts , while leading them in assists and shots... top 5... I like how some posters make it their thing to throw shade on some of these prospects ... just cuz they have a personal preference for someone else :shakehead

Reactions: Rimsky44

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
You mean a rookie 5 pts away from leading his team in pts , while leading them in assists and shots... top 5... I like how some posters make it their thing to throw shade on some of these prospects ... just cuz they have a personal preference for someone else :shakehead
it gets tiresome on here at times SOA...seems like a broken record on certain players who once turn pro and perform at the NHL level, all you hear is crickets. gosh I wish we could pull up the Matthew Tkachuk thread, it was worse than this but now all you hear is crickets on him as stat watchers and pure haters went silent..guess we just have to be patient for when Brady does the same thing and ignore them until then. and in my humble honest opinion, your boys are going to get lil' Walt here, seems like a perfect fit for the Sens...

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

So what Bowers did?

Reactions: Lemonlimey

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Nucky101 is Bergevin's pseudonym. The Canucks reference throws people off, but he can't fool the forum. Anyone who thinks Wahlstrom can play center @ NHL level, must either be Bergevin or has never watched Wahlstrom play.
Lol, I admit the only time Ive watched Wahlstrom play are at the U18's and prospect highlights. It's hard for me to find these college/ushl/high school games and so if I had actually seen more games I would have been able to seen that.

I look at many draft lists they have him as a center/winger, and our local news station is interviewing top eligible prospects and Wahlstrom said he had played center up until recently. He said that he can play any position and I guess the way he was talking he implied that he was moved to wing to accommodate Hughes but as a poster who probably follows Wahlstrom closely mentioned, he's not been playing center recently at all.

Anyways the interview was here: Oliver Wahlstrom on NHL prep: 'Shoot pucks, shoot pucks, shoot pucks' - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: Kimahri

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Lots of love for Matthew now.. pre-Draft not so much. Matthew is a good player... Maybe Brady won't be as good but he'll still be good and he is still a rare combination of skill, IQ and ferocity we don't see very often. He belongs in the top 5
I was a huge fan of Matt. I had him 4th on my list. Brady? Maybe 7th or 8th. Which is to say I like him a lot and think he’s a great prospect. My favorite team is the Coyotes. If they pick him at the 5 spot, I’m going to be excited about adding a great prospect. I like Hughes and Wahlstrom more. I’m a fan and not a scout, though. I don’t know what I’m talking about.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I was a huge fan of Matt. I had him 4th on my list. Brady? Maybe 7th or 8th. Which is to say I like him a lot and think he’s a great prospect. My favorite team is the Coyotes. If they pick him at the 5 spot, I’m going to be excited about adding a great prospect. I like Hughes and Wahlstrom more. I’m a fan and not a scout, though. I don’t know what I’m talking about.
I n my case, I don't think Brady is a bad prospect -- I just think he's overrated at #4 on many lists. As a Habs fan, there are several players I would rather have at that spot -- Zadina, Wahlstrom, Hughes, etc. That doesn't mean I think Tkachuk will be a bust, but just that he's more suited to later in the first round.

I've seen some mention of calling Brady "little Walt" in this thread. I'm not sure if people are kidding or not, since his dad Kieth was nicknamed Walt. Hopefully people realize that Brady, Matt and Keith Tkachuk are not related to Walt Tzachuk.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I n my case, I don't think Brady is a bad prospect -- I just think he's overrated at #4 on many lists. As a Habs fan, there are several players I would rather have at that spot -- Zadina, Wahlstrom, Hughes, etc. That doesn't mean I think Tkachuk will be a bust, but just that he's more suited to later in the first round.

I've seen some mention of calling Brady "little Walt" in this thread. I'm not sure if people are kidding or not, since his dad Kieth was nicknamed Walt. Hopefully people realize that Brady, Matt and Keith Tkachuk are not related to Walt Tzachuk.

lol, yes we realize that...Keith has been called Walt for decades now due to closeness in his name to Walt Tzachuk...and I used to like your posts, now knowing you are a Habs fan, well that is the end of that!! hahaha

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Here’s the thing, I have Brady firmly ranked in my top 5 and I think he 100% deserves to go there. I would draft him there and not thing twice about it. The problem is, that a lot of teams that would be picking that high would rather chase the upside of a riskier pick because they lack top end prospects, while Brady may not have the same high end upside, he’s going to be a stud.

If the Leafs we’re drafting high this year and they don’t have the Matthews/Marner/Nylanders then it makes sense to take a Wahlstrom over Tkachuk because you need the high end skill. Now if the Leafs drafted Matthews already and had another high end prospect like Marner or Nylander, I’d be taking Tkachuk over Wahlstrom because I think he’d be a better fit for my team moving forward. Most of the teams that would be looking at taking Tkachuk, don’t have the high end skill to pass on other guys to take a guy that is “only” a 50-60 point player... (which is an elite pick in the top 5 btw).

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Here’s the thing, I have Brady firmly ranked in my top 5 and I think he 100% deserves to go there. I would draft him there and not thing twice about it. The problem is, that a lot of teams that would be picking that high would rather chase the upside of a riskier pick because they lack top end prospects, while Brady may not have the same high end upside, he’s going to be a stud.

If the Leafs we’re drafting high this year and they don’t have the Matthews/Marner/Nylanders then it makes sense to take a Wahlstrom over Tkachuk because you need the high end skill. Now if the Leafs drafted Matthews already and had another high end prospect like Marner or Nylander, I’d be taking Tkachuk over Wahlstrom because I think he’d be a better fit for my team moving forward. Most of the teams that would be looking at taking Tkachuk, don’t have the high end skill to pass on other guys to take a guy that is “only” a 50-60 point player... (which is an elite pick in the top 5 btw).
What is the one thing every team needs that are at the bottom of the NHL, thus picking high?

High end skill

Reactions: NoQuinn

Deleted member 55113

So what Bowers did?

My understanding was that he was playing 2nd line minutes while Bowers did that on the first line. Tkachuk did play with Bowers for a bit, but it's not apples to apples as they were on different lines throughout the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
If he makes it to Arizona, I have no doubt in my mind they will take him. If Ottawa doesn’t go defense (which I am currently leaning to as a fan) I think he might just go #4.

I think if he turns into a guy that consistently scores 20+ and hits 30 a couple times in his peak, while bringing everything else he does..is a good top 5 pick.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
If he makes it to Arizona, I have no doubt in my mind they will take him. If Ottawa doesn’t go defense (which I am currently leaning to as a fan) I think he might just go #4.

Family history aside, one should not also forget that even though he served as Captain Coyote, Walt was a gigantic PITA when it came to reupping his contract, holding out during training camp for two consecutive seasons. The legacy of the Tkachuks in the desert isn't all wine and roses, and most casual Arizona hockey watchers really don't care about family name compared to performance on ice.

Anyway, Brady will certainly be in consideration at 5 OA if he's on the board, but given Chayka's analytic bent and the fact that LW is not a premium position that is also far from an organizational weakness, he's by no means a slam dunk choice, IMO.

Reactions: CanuckCity

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Brady just said on the pre game NHL Live with Rupp and Weeks today that his goal IS to turn pro this year. He wants to work on getting quicker and stronger, but it will be up to the team who drafts him on whether or not he sticks in the NHL straight from the draft...so much for him 100% staying in college lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->