F Brady Tkachuk (2018, 4th, OTT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Tkachuk is a guy that you'll want on your team for the playoffs, there will be better skilled players than him for sure, and their great if you want to win in the regular season, but if you want to win playoff series having Tkachuk on your team will help a lot. As a Canuck fan, I've seen enough of a team go with skill but was a push-over come playoffs, I want a team that's built to win a stanley cup and I'd love to have Tkachuk.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Good tournament from Tkachuk. Agree that his skill is not high end, a clear cut below the Svechnikov tier in this draft. That said, he's a gritty player and has the tools to be a physical presence who can contribute on the scoresheet to boot. I'm not sure he goes top 5 but he is easily a top 10 player in this draft. Arguably the best LW this draft as well, since Zadina seems to be a permanent RW now.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He's s a good player, but if I'm drafting in the top 5 I want a player who could potentially be top 15 at his position.

Just don't see that with Brady.

Last edited:

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I stated what I think he’s good at, and what I think he needs work on.
Dahlin
Zadina
Svechnikov
Boqvist

Then.......?
I really feel there are 10-15 guys you can put there I would personally have Hughes right now but that can change. No one is clear cut.
Tkachuk is in the mix, but so are so many.
Lmao, okay JK2K. If you can convince the top 8 or 9 gms ahead of the hawks this season that Tkachuk isn't worth a top 10 spot so that the hawks can draft him, I will personally send you money.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He's s a good player, but if I'm drafting in the top 5 I want a player who could potentially be top 15 at his position.

So if you eliminate Dahlin, Boqvist, Svechnikov, and Zedina ... Who is that top 15 at their position player ..
I think Tkachuk easily fits in the top 5.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com

This is actually a well thought out metric in principle. However, if you tried it in reality you would get awful results.

We set out in this conversation as if guys like Boqvist or Zadina do have top 15 in their position potential. I don't think they really do. At any time, players from roughly 15 drafts will be active. Not every single draft has a top 15 player at their position. Much less one who is considered a top prospect in their draft year. Seeing that Dahlin and Svechnikov are the top Dman and Winger in the class, if you chose either a winger or a defenseman you'd already be picking the 2nd best defenseman from that year. If you draft purely on superstar potential you really end up eventually drafting like an NFL team, picking someone like Dobson in 3rd, Serron Noel in 4th and K'Andre Miller in 5th. Choosing players almost purely based on raw speed, athleticism, and cerebral nature. You might get lucky a couple times. You won't most times. So depending on what the draft gives you, sometimes you've got to just settle for a really good player.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
This is actually a well thought out metric in principle. However, if you tried it in reality you would get awful results.

We set out in this conversation as if guys like Boqvist or Zadina do have top 15 in their position potential. I don't think they really do. At any time, players from roughly 15 drafts will be active. Not every single draft has a top 15 player at their position. Much less one who is considered a top prospect in their draft year. Seeing that Dahlin and Svechnikov are the top Dman and Winger in the class, if you chose either a winger or a defenseman you'd already be picking the 2nd best defenseman from that year. If you draft purely on superstar potential you really end up eventually drafting like an NFL team, picking someone like Dobson in 3rd, Serron Noel in 4th and K'Andre Miller in 5th. Choosing players almost purely based on raw speed, athleticism, and cerebral nature. You might get lucky a couple times. You won't most times. So depending on what the draft gives you, sometimes you've got to just settle for a really good player.

great post.

I actually don't think that Zadina or Boqvist will likely come close to being top 15 players.

However, I think that Dahlin, Svechnikov, Bouchard, Hughes, Dobson all have a great shot.

While Tkachuck will be a a valuable player as well. Something like a Wayne Simmonds?

Reactions: HailMcJesus

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
great post.

I actually don't think that Zadina or Boqvist will likely come close to being top 15 players.

However, I think that Dahlin, Svechnikov, Bouchard, Hughes, Dobson all have a great shot.

While Tkachuck will be a a valuable player as well. Something like a Wayne Simmonds?
I think that's still being pretty optimistic. I don't think this is a particularly strong draft, especially as far as top players who we are well aware of their potential.

Maybe. He's got much better hockey IQ than Simmonds but Simmonds is pretty fast and has a great motor. I think a couple 60 point seasons and a couple 50 point seasons like Simmonds wouldn't be an unreasonable place to put Tkachuk, though right now he's got the draft year hype so some will think that would be a disappointment. Of course more would be ideal, but with our current available knowledge I don't know more exists.

Reactions: 99664987

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Drafting Tkachuck with the intention of turning him into a center would be an even bigger mistake than what the Habs are attempting to do with Drouin. Brady's a winger, and should be drafted to play the wing in the NHL.

Been fighting this fight in the Habs draft thread all season long.

Dude's not and will never be a C. If you put him at C, you're neutering a lot of his game that makes him effective.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I can see the temptation of wanting him to be a C due to his size and intangibles, but that is not an easy transition, and to be honest I really do not understand why someone would want to disrupt or make a players development even harder by transitioning them to a different position.

Brady is a perfect winger, he will excel at the NHL level as a winger...I wouldn't change a damn thing about him at all and just let him do what he has been doing for the past 6 years.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I only asked if he could play C because a ton of sites have him listed as a centre. Also I feel like he'd be Claude Julien's favourite player.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Tkachuk is a guy that you'll want on your team for the playoffs, there will be better skilled players than him for sure, and their great if you want to win in the regular season, but if you want to win playoff series having Tkachuk on your team will help a lot. As a Canuck fan, I've seen enough of a team go with skill but was a push-over come playoffs, I want a team that's built to win a stanley cup and I'd love to have Tkachuk.
its the AV factor he neuters every roster he gets

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Genuinely curious, as I don’t know much about either.

But Shane Bowers was a 1st round pick last year and was involved in the Duchene trade.

Bowers is pretty much the same age (2 months apart).

Their USHL numbers are very comparable. Their current seasons are pretty much identical with Bowers having more goals. They play on the same team.

So for anyone who knows Boston University well, would a guy like Bowers be a 5th overall pick in this draft?
I’m assuming the answer is no.

So what are the reasons for Tkachuk to be highly rated? Is there higher-end skill? Greater potential?

Legitimate question.

Reactions: 99664987

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

But Shane Bowers was a 1st round pick last year and was involved in the Duchene trade.

Their USHL numbers are very comparable. Their current seasons are pretty much identical with Bowers having more goals. They play on the same team.

So for anyone who knows Boston University well, would a guy like Bowers be a 5th overall pick in this draft?

So what are the reasons for Tkachuk to be highly rated? Is there higher-end skill? Greater potential?

Legitimate question.
Pretty much what I have asked in every single ranking that has Tkachuk higher than 15th, and I’m still waiting on a real answer.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Pretty much what I have asked in every single ranking that has Tkachuk higher than 15th, and I’m still waiting on a real answer.
Tkachuk looked great at the WJC -- the ranking seems pretty justified from that. If we are just watching stats Tkachuk and Bowers are almost matching Mittelstadt too (as someone has already pointed out here) so are you still waiting on an explanation of that or do you see the difference? Mittelstadt is 2 months younger than Tkachuk.

Edit: I meant Mittelstadt's ten months older.

Last edited:

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton

Legitimate question.
Watched BU vs Harvard last night and Bowers wasn't very noticeable. Good skater and had a few nice plays but didn't create a whole lot of offense. Tkachuk was setting his teammates up all night and was a beast in the corners. There's definitely a big gap in skill but the stats don't really show it.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Every GM wants a guy like Matthew Tkachuk on their team. Brady Tkachuk is a very similar player to Matt and I have no doubt that Brady will be in the NHL very soon. Part of the reason for his lack of offense in the NCAA has to be the fact that Jordan Greenway (who also plays that power-forward type game) eats up the minutes that would've gone to Brady. Furthermore, 22 points in 28 games is not bad for a freshman who plays the type of game Brady does. Make no mistake about it, Brady will be a top 5 pick.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
In the top 5,I do not like picking players who cant carry their own line and drive play.

Tkachuk is a very nice comolimentary player but his skill and type come around in every draft and can be found outside of top 5.

Above him i would choose

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Boqvist
Zadina
Bouchard
Hughes
Dobson
Tkachuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad