F Brady Tkachuk (2018, 4th, OTT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
yes which imo is a development disadvatage* for top top end chl talent

* vs say USHL >NCAA > to AHL/CHL

I agree in certain cases it can be. The NCAA players have some leverage as well. They can be free agents after 4 years and can use that when signing / negotiating to sign . A player looking to sign after year 2 in the NCAA , could want to burn a ELC year as incentive to sign vs going back for Year 3 ... Finishing Year 3 , they have 1 ,more year and can go where ever they want.. Its not a level playing field for sure.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Bracco feels like a different kind of situation though. He left early in his freshman year, he was barely at BC.

True. Sometimes guys get to college and realize its more than just hockey, and they have problems adjusting. In Tkachuks case it is interesting because London is well known for tossing money under the table at these top prospects, but its still not confirmed hes even going there. Regardless, they will be loaded if they can land him

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He also won't burn a year if he's in the AHL.

Unless Ottawa have no faith in their developmental team down in Belleville or are really pinching pennies to the extent of not wanting to pay Brady an additional 70k (which is probably even less than that when factoring in, he's removing another AHLer), I don't know why he couldn't play at atleast that level, and I can't see them being that cheap as it would make no sense. Plus, I would think a prospect at Tkachuk's level might help sell a few more tickets in an AHL market (although, I have no idea how big a fanbase Ottawa has in Belleville).

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Tkachuk bros, Hughes, Matthews, Connor Boeser, Gaudreau, Poehling , White ,Brown , Gaudette, Demko, Yamamoto. So many top Americans getting drafted by Canadian teams.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
True. Sometimes guys get to college and realize its more than just hockey, and they have problems adjusting. In Tkachuks case it is interesting because London is well known for tossing money under the table at these top prospects, but its still not confirmed hes even going there. Regardless, they will be loaded if they can land him

Yes, that's not uncommon, either. A few years ago Robbie Czarnak left the University of Michigan to join the Plymouth Whalers -- he decided that college just wasn't for him.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Smart move for Brady if that is what he wants, bad move for Ottawa (I think is what Rabid Husky was implying)

I think it is less-than-ideal for Ottawa if he's not 100% NHL ready, but if he spends some of the season in the AHL, I don't see a problem with that.

I don't see him going to London. He's already a top college player, I don't see what he'd have to learn in junior.

Toxic environment in Ottawa if he ends up there...not good for development. Will he get top minutes in Binghamton? Maybe. If he doesn't...i don't think that's good for his development. I've also never been a fan of jumping from college to CHL...especially at 19. Going from men to boys in a lot of ways IMO.
He'd have been a leader and a minute muncher for BU plus a top forward for the US.
Sure he gets money but will it be worth it for his career?

Probably will be worth it. Brady is IMO one of the more NHL-ready prospects in the draft (even if I think his ultimate upside isn't as high). I think he can step into the NHL and be just fine in the bottom-six. If he has a half-decent rookie year, his career earnings potential will look extremely good. I'm not sure if it's a "toxic" environment to develop in Ottawa. They have a lot of off-ice drama, but there are definitely spaces for him to get decent minutes.

If he's in Belleville, he's 100% going to get prime developmental minutes. He's their prized prospect.

He doesn't burn years if he's in London.

Do players often leave college for junior?

It's rare, but some players do leave college for junior. I don't think that's what's happening with Brady though. I think he wants to make the NHL, and if he doesn't, the AHL is probably a more appropriate level of play for him than junior.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thrasymachus

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think it is less-than-ideal for Ottawa if he's not 100% NHL ready, but if he spends some of the season in the AHL, I don't see a problem with that.

I don't see him going to London. He's already a top college player, I don't see what he'd have to learn in junior.

Probably will be worth it. Brady is IMO one of the more NHL-ready prospects in the draft (even if I think his ultimate upside isn't as fine). I think he can step into the NHL and be just fine in the bottom-six. If he has a half-decent rookie year, his career earnings potential will look extremely good. I'm not sure if it's a "toxic" environment to develop in Ottawa. They have a lot of off-ice drama, but there are definitely spaces for him to get decent minutes.

If he's in Binghamton, he's 100% going to get prime developmental minutes. He's their prized prospect.

It's rare, but some players do leave college for junior. I don't think that's what's happening with Brady though. I think he wants to make the NHL, and if he doesn't, the AHL is probably a more appropriate level of play for him than junior.
Good post , but jtlyk its Belleville now , they moved from Binghamton starting last year. Binghamton has the Devils AHL team.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Going from the NCAA to Juniors doesn't really make much sense, especially for a higher level prospect. He will dominate the OHL and not improve his game as much as he would if he stayed in the NCAA.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Honestly, turning pro was the best option for Brady. NHL, AHL experience would be ideal but I'm sure his bro raved about his time in London too so all options are good.

He heavily consulted both his father Keith and Matthew on the best course to take and those two are invaluable resources at his disposal to help him carve out a successful NHL career (or just to ask for advice). In fact, he even mentioned having talked to Matt about what it took for him to enter the NHL and stay as a top 6 forward during this teenage rookie season.

Also, having Logan Brown, his childhood best friend, which whom he played with before, is also a great asset. He's a friend, there's chemistry between them and most importantly Brown is a play making center, which would compliment Brady's game a lot. A line of Tkachuk - Brown - White (all USA line) will be amazing to watch in the near future because I think their styles compliment each other well. Even though Tkachuk/White aren't known for their offense, that's where having a center like Brown as the set up man so important.

It just sucks that he'll be compared to what Matthew accomplished and if he doesn't reach that within his first couple of seasons people will be calling him a bust etc when in reality, he's exactly what the Sens need (even though I really wanted Zadina and was initially pissed at the draft).

Reactions: Nucky10

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
I don't get this move but to each their own.... Go after a National Title and World Junior Gold and sign when the organization isn't a dumpster fire or at least less of one! If I had to venture a guess, some sort of unofficial agreement, No AHL! Did Ottawa not learn anything from how they handled Curtis Lazar's development.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't get this move but to each their own.... Go after a National Title and World Junior Gold and sign when the organization isn't a dumpster fire or at least less of one! If I had to venture a guess, some sort of unofficial agreement, No AHL! Did Ottawa not learn anything from how they handled Curtis Lazar's development.
Curtis Lazar could have spent 2 more years in the dub, 3 years in the AHL, and he wouldn't have developed what he's missing whatsoever. You can't teach hockey sense like you can skating and skills. Lazar was a man playing against boys without the brain to think the game at a high level at all.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

This decision does not prevent him from playing for Team USA in the U20 WJC over the holidays.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Honestly, turning pro was the best option for Brady. NHL, AHL experience would be ideal but I'm sure his bro raved about his time in London too so all options are good.

He heavily consulted both his father Keith and Matthew on the best course to take and those two are invaluable resources at his disposal to help him carve out a successful NHL career (or just to ask for advice). In fact, he even mentioned having talked to Matt about what it took for him to enter the NHL and stay as a top 6 forward during this teenage rookie season.

Also, having Logan Brown, his childhood best friend, which whom he played with before, is also a great asset. He's a friend, there's chemistry between them and most importantly Brown is a play making center, which would compliment Brady's game a lot. A line of Tkachuk - Brown - White (all USA line) will be amazing to watch in the near future because I think their styles compliment each other well. Even though Tkachuk/White aren't known for their offense, that's where having a center like Brown as the set up man so important.

It just sucks that he'll be compared to what Matthew accomplished and if he doesn't reach that within his first couple of seasons people will be calling him a bust etc when in reality, he's exactly what the Sens need (even though I really wanted Zadina and was initially pissed at the draft).

He isn't exactly what the sens need.

What they need is elite offensive forward who can carry his teammates or a Norris caliber defenceman.

That's exactly what they need.

Also a new owner and gm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad